Sign in with
Your question

Failed BIOS install on P5W DH Deluxe, now nothing

Last response: in Motherboards
February 21, 2008 1:20:10 PM

I tried to flash update my mobo and it failed. when the PC rebooted I get nothing not even beeps.

I tried removing everything except the CPU and clear the CMOS using the manual specified steps.

I tried tried boot with no memory and just a video card to see if I can get any error beeps. I even tried it the other way and both of them do the samething, nothing.

Its a AMI Bios so I tried to the a recovery on that using a floppy with the latest BIOS on it named AMIBOOT.ROM. Including using Crtl and Home keys to force a manul load of the BIOS. The floppy light doesnt do anything at all.

This rig has been running over a year and a half so, I figured theres nothing wrong with the CPU being seated correctly. thats why I havent removed that.

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try next or do I need to get a new mobo or bios chip?

a b V Motherboard
February 21, 2008 1:58:45 PM

Check your MB manual for BIOS recovery procedure using the MB CD. Basically put the MB CD and in the tray and boot up and see if recovery is possible. If not, the board is likely hosed. Check the product page Forums on the ASUS site. You mght ask your question to others with the same board on the product page. HTH.
February 21, 2008 2:27:58 PM

King Solomons "CHEAP but HARD" BIOS Recovery Guide

*. ur mobo has a PLCC FLASH , UR LUCKY

Requirments
1. fully working system with same kind BIOS socket, pin match (you will need it out casing laying on a table, fully assembled . i'll call this computer com_test
2. Gigabye Bios Flash Tool, Gigabye @BIOS, old version will better
3. download the ur bords BIOS from asus, copy it to ur on desk com's hdd and install it

How to do

1.remove ur Bios chip on none working mobo put it aside
2. loose ur bios chip on com_test,
3 boot com_test, if it dose not boot, thight (pushdown) bios chip
4. after come to windows remove the Bios chip from COM_test ( from computer on state)
5. place ur dead bios chip on COM_Test's BIOS socket. thightly
6. get gigabyte @BIOS>start it and FLASH UR ASUS P5W DH on to it.
7.turn off ur com_test, remove the bios place on P5W DH and Boot

I'll Garantee this will work BUT BE CAREFULL NOT TO HARM UR BIOS SOCKET
i recoverd bios chip crushed ABIT KT7-RAID, and and AOpen P3 board and couple of more from this method

post me ur result's
King Solomon from Sri lanaka

AMD Athlon 2400+ and ASUS Radeon 9600SE
he he
Related resources
February 21, 2008 2:42:10 PM

The P5W DH Deluxe user guide on page 4-9 has 2 means of Bios recovery.
Good Luck.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.
a c 126 V Motherboard
February 21, 2008 3:10:28 PM

Worse case call Asus. they can send you a programmed chip. not sure how much, but its not that expensive....some have even got them for free....

Then use King Solomons "CHEAP but HARD" BIOS Recovery Guide to hot flash(just use the asus flash program then) the old chip and now you have a backup.....

Thats one nice thing about a socketed bios chip....

In general tho you just pop in the CD with the file P5WDH.rom(or what ever it was) and power up and cross your fingers that there was enough bios left to perform the recovery....
February 22, 2008 10:13:32 PM

Thanks for the advice I was able to find a place to buy a new one online so Im trying that route.

www.biosman.com

If this doesnt work I gues Ill buy a new MB.
February 22, 2008 10:14:34 PM

Opps double post.
February 27, 2008 3:52:59 PM

new BIOS chip worked.
February 27, 2008 7:56:32 PM

You paid $30 for a chip when the motherboards manual tells you how to fix a bad bios update?

I wish I had money to p!ss away like that, cool.

Rattus Viola: Sino non they quisnam operor non have scientia futurus vestri rector.
a b V Motherboard
February 27, 2008 8:02:26 PM

king_solomon said:
King Solomons "CHEAP but HARD" BIOS Recovery Guide

*. ur mobo has a PLCC FLASH , UR LUCKY

Requirments
1. fully working system with same kind BIOS socket, pin match (you will need it out casing laying on a table, fully assembled . i'll call this computer com_test
2. Gigabye Bios Flash Tool, Gigabye @BIOS, old version will better
3. download the ur bords BIOS from asus, copy it to ur on desk com's hdd and install it

How to do

1.remove ur Bios chip on none working mobo put it aside
2. loose ur bios chip on com_test,
3 boot com_test, if it dose not boot, thight (pushdown) bios chip
4. after come to windows remove the Bios chip from COM_test ( from computer on state)
5. place ur dead bios chip on COM_Test's BIOS socket. thightly
6. get gigabyte @BIOS>start it and FLASH UR ASUS P5W DH on to it.
7.turn off ur com_test, remove the bios place on P5W DH and Boot

I'll Garantee this will work BUT BE CAREFULL NOT TO HARM UR BIOS SOCKET
i recoverd bios chip crushed ABIT KT7-RAID, and and AOpen P3 board and couple of more from this method

post me ur result's
King Solomon from Sri lanaka

AMD Athlon 2400+ and ASUS Radeon 9600SE
he he

Really? I was born in Sri Lanka but came to US when I was 10.
!