Gaming while using TV card

openchut82

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I am using a Leadtek TV2000XP/ Expert tuner card and a Nvidia Geforce 7900GS video card. I am running two CRT monitors. I dont seem to be able to watch tv on one monitor and play BF2 on the other monitor at the same time. If watching tv on one monitor and I start the game on the other monitor, the tv viewing box goes black. Seems like I can only use either or, not both at the same time. Any suggestions.

GA-P35-DS3R
Intel E6850
G.Skill 2gb DDR2 800
eVGA GeForce 7900GS
WD 80 x 2 Raid 0
Enermax Liberty 500 watt
Antec Mid Tower

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
try playing BF2 in windowed mode if your not. Otherwise it probably wont work.

I have a similar leadtek tuner (may be the same even, I dont remember the exact model number), and I know it was pretty picky about having the tv display on the primary monitor.

eric54

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2006
I have a similar build. At least with the hauppauge tuner i have i can play and watch at the same time. Granted this does kinda chug the system, so i wouldnt expect crysis to run, in any case Wc3 works fine and dandy.

You may need to check your settings and make sure you extent your desktop to the additional monitor. As well, make sure your primary monitor is your gaming, and your secondary is the one playing tv while your gaming.

I have run into occasions where video would not extend through to both screens but that in all likelihood is related to your software. I believe this to be the key here, the tv tuner software likely doesnt support dual screens, so for whatever mysterious code isnt allowing it is likely the cause of your digression. A solution I am certain will work (and i'm on a limb here assuming you arent using this program, otherwise i'm useless) is Windows Media Center.

If you have Vista its included you have and should be using it, because it embarrases the likes of ati and their shabby two bit tuner software (ever tried updating ati's drivers? HOLY FRICK!). Does that help any?

michiganteddybear

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2006
well, MY leadtek card (and it may not be the same one, but is similar) is NOT media center (either XP or Vista versions) compliant.. grrrr have to use their software with it.

Hell, vista dont even have all the drivers for it, and cant get the FM tuner to work in vista because of that. The TV tuner does work tho, as long as you use their software

cardio

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2004
TV and Gaming are both CPU & GPU intensive and your perfomance will suck! How can you do both at the same time? What kind of game would that be....Solitaire?

openchut82

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
I believe I have the computing power to perform both tasks at the same time. It is just knowing how to do it, and if it can be done. I would have no problems playing Solitaire and watching tv at the same time. That is too easy. I am talking about BF2 and tv at the same time on the same computer with two monitors.