Sign in with
Your question

HELP! System boot issue!

Last response: in Motherboards
February 21, 2008 4:28:12 PM

Hopefully someone can help me pinpoint the problem area for the issue I'm having:

When I hit the power button on the PC, the power comes on (drive light lights up, some fans kick in, etc).

However...the system never really initiates! I have a blank screen on the monitor.

I then go through the motions of holding the power button in long enough for it to power down. Then push the power button in again.

Sometimes the system will boot and the boot screen appears on the monitor. Other times (last night) it took 5 times of turning it off and on again for it to kick in and boot.

I was thinking it's my boot drive screwing up on me, but not sure. My boot drive is an IDE 160 GB. I also have a 250 GB SATA in the system, as well as an external 80 GB WD HD.

My system specs are as follows:

Athlon 64X2 6000 CPU
Asus M2N-SLI with wireless
650-W CoolerMaster PS (just bought this to run my 8800 GT cards in SLI)
4 GB DDR2 800 (Corsair XMS)

Another thought was the CPU cooler I just installed (Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro). It's HUGE, and looks like it may touch the sides of the metal case when I close it. Wasn't sure if that could cause it, but again, if that was the case, it shouldn't start at all. Usually it takes 3-5 times before the system will boot. Rarely does it do it on the first try.

So if anyone has run across this issue, and can pinpoint the problem for me...that would be great. Thanks.

More about : system boot issue

February 21, 2008 6:13:46 PM

It seems you PC fails at POST (power on self-test) at cold start. You basically troubleshoot the intermittent problem sameway as no-POST problem. I doubt it is your HD, because the PC did not reach the step of loading OS from HD yet, or your AC Freezer, which can easily be tested with the case open. I suspect a faulty PSU, though it could be anyone of the major components.

I had similar problem in a new built--check the TA-770 A2+ thread. I ended up returning the mobo. I was not sure when doing it, although it was the most logical way since all other componets were tested good previously.
February 21, 2008 7:28:37 PM

I didn't think it'd be the PSU. It's brand new, and I do in fact get power when I hit the power button.

Hope it's not the MOBO, because that's fairly new as well.

February 21, 2008 8:54:56 PM

I would guess a RAM issue. Try one stick at a time if you have more than one and make sure they are fully inserted into the slot.
!