Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Performance
  • NAS / RAID
  • Storage
  • Product
Last response: in Storage
January 13, 2009 12:59:37 AM

so, i was considering getting a bunch of 160gb hard drives, or 80 gbs and making a raid0 for performance...just a little bit more for 1/4 the storage, but 4 of these would COOK for performance man. what do you all think...here are the drives

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

4 in raid...look out!!!! maybe even 5...

More about : worth raid setup

a b G Storage
January 13, 2009 1:46:23 AM

The fastest current main stream hdd's have 320 gb platters . More data density per platter so faster reads and writes .

Without trying 4 160 gb HDD's in RAID0 and comparing them to two more modern 320 gb single platter drives Im only guessing ... but my guess is two 320's are faster .

Plus much more data security , because less to go wrong
January 15, 2009 2:47:28 AM

but two input/output channels vs 4 would not keep up right? these are also ssd...totally faster than any spinning device for read/write speeds...raid will be secure on a raid 1 no matter how many drives it is setup on..i think a 0+1 would be better though for performance/reliability..i was going all out performance only though.
Related resources
January 16, 2009 2:11:39 AM

Read speeds on SSD drives may be higher but you will still get better write speeds on spinning drives.
January 16, 2009 4:21:13 AM

Random writes are the general downfall of the MLC drives using the Jmicron controller. Although with 4 or 5 drives in an array you wouldnt notice it, heck i dont think you would notice it much with a single drive unless you were going alot of random writes.

If you have the money go for it i dont think youll be looking back, i would suggest if you are shelling out the dough from these to get a decent hardware raid controller though.
!