Crysis Settings with two HD3870's at a resolution of 1440x900

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Just curious what settings others are playing Crysis on with two HD3870's?
I am not able to play Crysis in DX10 mode with all High settings. Now notice I said HIGH not Very High, I am fully aware that Crysis was not meant to be played on Very High with our current hardware. However am I asking to much in being able to play Crysis on all High in DX10 mode with my current setup?

Here is what I am currently running:

ASUS P5E / Intel X38 Chipset
Intel E6600 OC'ed @ 3.2ghz (Will be replaced with one of the new Q9000 Chips once tiger has them) :eek:
2 Diamond HD3870's oc'd @ 810 / 1201 both running on x16 PCI-E (Crossfire of course) slots on the ASUS MB
4gb DDR 2 800mhz
ASUS Silent Knight II COoler
Two Samsung SATA DVD/DVD-RW drives
WD 36gb Raptor HD
Seagate 320gb HD
Visa Ultimate 64bit
Running ATI's latest 8.1 Drivers

I can't see there being a bottleneck anywhere with my current system so that is why I'm confused? It could be that even at High the game is still too demanding on my system but that just sucks if you ask me, my Screen resolution is 1440x900. :fou: So if anyone could be so kind and let me know what they are running Crysis on with a similar setup to mine I would greatly appreciate it. :D

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
thats sounds like a pretty darn nice setup....

See my sig...I'm using a custom config file for the game to get the "hacked" dx10 settings in windows xp.

So it's as close to Very High as you can get on XP and it looks really darn close (light rays, color grading, per object motion blur, high detail shaders). I'm running 1360x768, widescreen 37" lcdTV native res, no FSAA with an average fps of 31.5 on the gpu test included in the games "binary32" directory.....lowest fps something like 23 highest 38 or 39

see my sig for system specs....If you're not runnings at least as well as that.....I'd point my finger @ vista 64 bit....64 bit drivers suck

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
See that's just it. I thought Crysis was supposed to benefit from a 64bit OS? According to Cervat Yerli and the rest of his team?????????? I know I read that in a few interviews with the game developers?

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
We both have the same MB, processor with the same overclock - 3.2GHz. I'll still give you my secret in-game settings, one week in the making in order to enjoy Crysis the right way. With the graphics settings set to where they are in the picture below I get an average frame rate of 65 FPS, still working on maybe setting some more to high. Our systems are similar except for the graphics system, 8800GTX vs. two 3870 in Crossfire. It will be nice to see how two 3870's compare to one 8800GTX. :)

crysis2007121213450231fw3.png

By systemlord at 2008-01-21

12122007130631dv3.jpg

By systemlord at 2007-12-11

PlasticSashimi

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
well, what framerate are you getting?

I can't say for certain it's a 64 bit issue obviously...I just know that I specifically didn't install vista 32 or 64, or xp 64 because I'm not going to play anybody's guinea pig....

There are too many unresolved issues....maybe its something completely unrelated like your sound hardware causing the slowdown....or lan adapter, or some obscure system setting....

bottom line is I just wanted to know where i was going to stand...I looked at dx10 vs dx9 screenshots for a long time and all that stuff...I'll just wait until it's all running super smooth and THEN upgrade

LAAkuma

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2007
I have a E6750 OC to mid 3.6 GHZ range, with 3870 Xfire.

I play Crysis with texture on VERY high setting, with a few other settings on VERY HIGH, I played with the combinations for days, and I get an average of about 30-45 FPS.

The main thing is to get the texture setting on VERY HIGH and the water setting to the highest. That was the best visual combination for me. I only have a few things on medium, with most being high.

I am playing it in 1600x1200.

I love the game, the physics is great, I love the explosions. When the mountain came falling down, it was awesome, I never seen anything like that in a game before. The super big explosions, like right when your at the mine entrance at that village are so realistic feeling, I never seen anything like it. My 6 year old boy walked up to the screen and he said

"wow daddy, that looks so real"

The game is superb visually.

LAAkuma

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
See my sig. I'm playing crysis on all high settings, windows xp pro 32-bit @ 1600x1200 - i average 32fps on benchmark (min=24 max=42), but it plays much higher.

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
That's just it I thought I should be able to play Crysis on High too. When I run the Crysis GPU benchmark I'm getting an average of 20 FPS and it shows a min of like 4.5 frames. When I turn the settings to High it plays fine until there are more than two enemies on the screen than the game drops to single digit frames or frames that are unplayable. I did not mention what sound card I had in my system I have the Creative X-Fi extreme music with the Latest Creative drivers???

Does anyone have any ideas of what else this could be or is this just the may I have to play Crysis some settings on Med and Some on High? Thanks for all the posts so far!

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
i also have an X-Fi xtreme gamer fatality verson, but i have most of my stuff overclocked to jacked settings.

#1) You are running Vista.
#2) You are running Vista 64-bit.
#3) Vista uses 10% CPU/GFX as overhead for Aero - shame on you.
#4) 64-bit support and drivers suck, especially for Vista - shame on you.

EDIT: Make sure crossfire is engaging. Turning off crossfire for me drops my avg FPS down to 24.

pauldh

Illustrious
Will, are you forcing any IQ settings in the drivers or running driver default settings? 20 fps sounds low if you are not forcing AA/AF. Do other games run as expected?

If you want to easily compare how your system does at various settings, you can grab the Crysis benchmark tool from Guru 3d LINK, which lets you easily batch run various settings. Try a couple resolutions at medium, high, and custom med/high details, both with and without fsaa and see what settings kill your framerates. Then do the same with crossfire disabled to see what gains you are getting from dual cards and at what settings it scales the best.

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Well I can run the Game on all High Settings If I play it in DX9 mode. I don't see the point in doing that since I bought these cards specifically for DX10, really thought that I could get all High in DX10 with these cards?????????????

I've already checked my Crossfire and it works, it's worse when I disable crossfire.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004

What are the odds you’ll let us see this 'hacked' dx10? OR perhaps prove this somehow...

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
Thanks for the advice pauldh, I will try that now.

I have the CCC setup to use the application settings and have Catalyst AI set to standard.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
it's not a hack to run dx10 in xp. It's a hack to get the game to run very high config files under dx9. just modifiy the ini or inf file. Also - dx10 will take a hit on cards by itself, since it's more graphics intensive than dx9 is. You should probably expect crysis to run at the FPS you're getting.

I'd try running my setup under dx10 but it's not worth the hassle for me.
EDIT: Crysis looks great under dx9 anyway so i'd rather enjoy the max settings at a higher resolution with better FPS under an API that looks just as good.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005

I would try to get post-processing on VERY HIGH. They way you get the rays of shadows and blur. Anything less doesn't seem to do anything. This junk adds a lot for me.

fudgedelic

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
The thing you got to remember is Crysis even post 1.1 patch is horrendous when it comes to multi-gpu set-ups. I can't find the review I was reading but it was basically just testing the performance of sli/crossfire with the enw patch since this was supposed to be one of the issues addressed and it was still awful. I believe in a lot of situations multi card configurations were only getting like an extra 5 FPS, like 30 vs 35. A friend also brought up something he was reading showing a tri sli 8800 ultra set-up not able to play 1680x1050 at full settings, clearly they have a lot of work to do on the multi-gpu front. So yes it must be dissapointing with that system but you have to figure at this point you're probably only getting marginally better FPS with those 2 versus just 1 card when it comes to crysis. Hopefully they do something to remedy this sometime soon, we deserve to play this game at its best.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006

When I first got the demo I couldn't stop playing it, and when Crysis finely came out it lived up to the hype of what I expected it to be. Most that overhyped Crysis and thought that Crysis didn't meet what they had expected and were letdown. The facts are Crysis does have the very best graphics to date when running everything at "Very High", the gameplay is good but the middle of the game got a little downhill. I would have been happy fighting the Koreans through the hole game.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I play at all Very High @ 1440*900 and get 20-30 fps in Vista Ultimate 64. One thing about Crysis is that it's much more playable at lower framerates then any other FPS. 20-30 looks very smooth. Anything above 30 is great. I know we can all argue how many fps you need, but Crysis really is very playable even at sub 30 and sub 20 fps.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Thats true, there are few games that can do this, remain "smooth" at low fps, some might say the smoothness comes from the cpu and fps come from the graphics card, but either way this game is pretty silky.

bwdsmart

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
I run at 1920x1080 all high settings very smoothly with the occational rare slowdown. all i do for that is sit for 5 seconds and its smooth again. but that only ahppens very very rarely. im running 8800gt (715/1750/1025) opteron 170 @ 2.6ghz 2 gigs of ram. sounds like you have a driver problem my friend. or maybe it is DX10 cuz im running xp dx9 and its goin well.