Crysis Settings with two HD3870's at a resolution of 1440x900

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Resolution
  • Crysis
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 21, 2008 7:45:49 PM

Just curious what settings others are playing Crysis on with two HD3870's?
I am not able to play Crysis in DX10 mode with all High settings. Now notice I said HIGH not Very High, I am fully aware that Crysis was not meant to be played on Very High with our current hardware. However am I asking to much in being able to play Crysis on all High in DX10 mode with my current setup?

Here is what I am currently running:

ASUS P5E / Intel X38 Chipset
Intel E6600 OC'ed @ 3.2ghz (Will be replaced with one of the new Q9000 Chips once tiger has them) :o 
2 Diamond HD3870's oc'd @ 810 / 1201 both running on x16 PCI-E (Crossfire of course) slots on the ASUS MB
4gb DDR 2 800mhz
ASUS Silent Knight II COoler
Two Samsung SATA DVD/DVD-RW drives
WD 36gb Raptor HD
Seagate 320gb HD
Visa Ultimate 64bit
Running ATI's latest 8.1 Drivers

I can't see there being a bottleneck anywhere with my current system so that is why I'm confused? It could be that even at High the game is still too demanding on my system but that just sucks if you ask me, my Screen resolution is 1440x900. :fou:  So if anyone could be so kind and let me know what they are running Crysis on with a similar setup to mine I would greatly appreciate it. :D 

More about : crysis settings hd3870 resolution 1440x900

January 21, 2008 8:13:31 PM

thats sounds like a pretty darn nice setup....

See my sig...I'm using a custom config file for the game to get the "hacked" dx10 settings in windows xp.

So it's as close to Very High as you can get on XP and it looks really darn close (light rays, color grading, per object motion blur, high detail shaders). I'm running 1360x768, widescreen 37" lcdTV native res, no FSAA with an average fps of 31.5 on the gpu test included in the games "binary32" directory.....lowest fps something like 23 highest 38 or 39

see my sig for system specs....If you're not runnings at least as well as that.....I'd point my finger @ vista 64 bit....64 bit drivers suck
January 21, 2008 8:27:53 PM

See that's just it. I thought Crysis was supposed to benefit from a 64bit OS? According to Cervat Yerli and the rest of his team?????????? I know I read that in a few interviews with the game developers?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2008 8:36:01 PM

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=698&p=7

Legion found even the demo ran better in 64-bit than 32-bit, so I'd have to assume the retail 1.1 would also.

I would have thought you could play Crysis in DX10 all high at 14x9 on your rig.
January 21, 2008 8:43:44 PM

Hell, I figured that rig could have made your morning coffee...
January 21, 2008 8:44:34 PM

We both have the same MB, processor with the same overclock - 3.2GHz. I'll still give you my secret in-game settings, one week in the making in order to enjoy Crysis the right way. With the graphics settings set to where they are in the picture below I get an average frame rate of 65 FPS, still working on maybe setting some more to high. Our systems are similar except for the graphics system, 8800GTX vs. two 3870 in Crossfire. It will be nice to see how two 3870's compare to one 8800GTX. :) 

By systemlord at 2008-01-21

By systemlord at 2007-12-11
January 21, 2008 8:47:58 PM

well, what framerate are you getting?

I can't say for certain it's a 64 bit issue obviously...I just know that I specifically didn't install vista 32 or 64, or xp 64 because I'm not going to play anybody's guinea pig....

There are too many unresolved issues....maybe its something completely unrelated like your sound hardware causing the slowdown....or lan adapter, or some obscure system setting....

bottom line is I just wanted to know where i was going to stand...I looked at dx10 vs dx9 screenshots for a long time and all that stuff...I'll just wait until it's all running super smooth and THEN upgrade
January 21, 2008 8:58:45 PM

I have a E6750 OC to mid 3.6 GHZ range, with 3870 Xfire.

I play Crysis with texture on VERY high setting, with a few other settings on VERY HIGH, I played with the combinations for days, and I get an average of about 30-45 FPS.

The main thing is to get the texture setting on VERY HIGH and the water setting to the highest. That was the best visual combination for me. I only have a few things on medium, with most being high.

I am playing it in 1600x1200.

I love the game, the physics is great, I love the explosions. When the mountain came falling down, it was awesome, I never seen anything like that in a game before. The super big explosions, like right when your at the mine entrance at that village are so realistic feeling, I never seen anything like it. My 6 year old boy walked up to the screen and he said

"wow daddy, that looks so real"

The game is superb visually.

LAAkuma
January 21, 2008 8:59:44 PM

See my sig. I'm playing crysis on all high settings, windows xp pro 32-bit @ 1600x1200 - i average 32fps on benchmark (min=24 max=42), but it plays much higher.
January 21, 2008 9:08:08 PM

That's just it I thought I should be able to play Crysis on High too. When I run the Crysis GPU benchmark I'm getting an average of 20 FPS and it shows a min of like 4.5 frames. When I turn the settings to High it plays fine until there are more than two enemies on the screen than the game drops to single digit frames or frames that are unplayable. I did not mention what sound card I had in my system I have the Creative X-Fi extreme music with the Latest Creative drivers???

Does anyone have any ideas of what else this could be or is this just the may I have to play Crysis some settings on Med and Some on High? Thanks for all the posts so far!
January 21, 2008 9:14:07 PM

i also have an X-Fi xtreme gamer fatality verson, but i have most of my stuff overclocked to jacked settings.

#1) You are running Vista.
#2) You are running Vista 64-bit.
#3) Vista uses 10% CPU/GFX as overhead for Aero - shame on you.
#4) 64-bit support and drivers suck, especially for Vista - shame on you.

EDIT: Make sure crossfire is engaging. Turning off crossfire for me drops my avg FPS down to 24.
a b U Graphics card
January 21, 2008 9:20:06 PM

Will, are you forcing any IQ settings in the drivers or running driver default settings? 20 fps sounds low if you are not forcing AA/AF. Do other games run as expected?

If you want to easily compare how your system does at various settings, you can grab the Crysis benchmark tool from Guru 3d LINK, which lets you easily batch run various settings. Try a couple resolutions at medium, high, and custom med/high details, both with and without fsaa and see what settings kill your framerates. Then do the same with crossfire disabled to see what gains you are getting from dual cards and at what settings it scales the best.
January 21, 2008 9:22:10 PM

Well I can run the Game on all High Settings If I play it in DX9 mode. I don't see the point in doing that since I bought these cards specifically for DX10, really thought that I could get all High in DX10 with these cards?????????????

I've already checked my Crossfire and it works, it's worse when I disable crossfire.
January 21, 2008 9:22:47 PM

PlasticSashimi said:
See my sig...I'm using a custom config file for the game to get the "hacked" dx10 settings in windows xp.

What are the odds you’ll let us see this 'hacked' dx10? OR perhaps prove this somehow...
January 21, 2008 9:24:45 PM

Thanks for the advice pauldh, I will try that now.

I have the CCC setup to use the application settings and have Catalyst AI set to standard.
January 21, 2008 9:26:39 PM

it's not a hack to run dx10 in xp. It's a hack to get the game to run very high config files under dx9. just modifiy the ini or inf file. Also - dx10 will take a hit on cards by itself, since it's more graphics intensive than dx9 is. You should probably expect crysis to run at the FPS you're getting.

I'd try running my setup under dx10 but it's not worth the hassle for me.
EDIT: Crysis looks great under dx9 anyway so i'd rather enjoy the max settings at a higher resolution with better FPS under an API that looks just as good.
January 21, 2008 9:34:40 PM

systemlord said:
We both have the same MB, processor with the same overclock - 3.2GHz. I'll still give you my secret in-game settings, one week in the making in order to enjoy Crysis the right way. With the graphics settings set to where they are in the picture below I get an average frame rate of 65 FPS, still working on maybe setting some more to high. Our systems are similar except for the graphics system, 8800GTX vs. two 3870 in Crossfire. It will be nice to see how two 3870's compare to one 8800GTX. :) 

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/4336/crysis2007121213450231fw3.png
By systemlord at 2008-01-21

http://img112.imageshack.us/img112/3339/12122007130631dv3.jpg
By systemlord at 2007-12-11

I would try to get post-processing on VERY HIGH. They way you get the rays of shadows and blur. Anything less doesn't seem to do anything. This junk adds a lot for me.
January 21, 2008 11:15:36 PM

The thing you got to remember is Crysis even post 1.1 patch is horrendous when it comes to multi-gpu set-ups. I can't find the review I was reading but it was basically just testing the performance of sli/crossfire with the enw patch since this was supposed to be one of the issues addressed and it was still awful. I believe in a lot of situations multi card configurations were only getting like an extra 5 FPS, like 30 vs 35. A friend also brought up something he was reading showing a tri sli 8800 ultra set-up not able to play 1680x1050 at full settings, clearly they have a lot of work to do on the multi-gpu front. So yes it must be dissapointing with that system but you have to figure at this point you're probably only getting marginally better FPS with those 2 versus just 1 card when it comes to crysis. Hopefully they do something to remedy this sometime soon, we deserve to play this game at its best.
January 22, 2008 12:09:23 AM

will31 said:
Well I can run the Game on all High Settings If I play it in DX9 mode.

Its old news that DX9 is the only way to run Crysis.
January 22, 2008 12:15:47 AM

+1 to fudge.

other thing i have to say.. crysis isn't worth upgrading for anyway. too much hype not enough result.
January 22, 2008 12:38:16 AM

shoota said:
+1 to fudge.

other thing i have to say.. crysis isn't worth upgrading for anyway. too much hype not enough result.

When I first got the demo I couldn't stop playing it, and when Crysis finely came out it lived up to the hype of what I expected it to be. Most that overhyped Crysis and thought that Crysis didn't meet what they had expected and were letdown. The facts are Crysis does have the very best graphics to date when running everything at "Very High", the gameplay is good but the middle of the game got a little downhill. I would have been happy fighting the Koreans through the hole game.
January 22, 2008 12:42:00 AM

I play at all Very High @ 1440*900 and get 20-30 fps in Vista Ultimate 64. One thing about Crysis is that it's much more playable at lower framerates then any other FPS. 20-30 looks very smooth. Anything above 30 is great. I know we can all argue how many fps you need, but Crysis really is very playable even at sub 30 and sub 20 fps.
January 22, 2008 1:03:54 AM

Thats true, there are few games that can do this, remain "smooth" at low fps, some might say the smoothness comes from the cpu and fps come from the graphics card, but either way this game is pretty silky.
January 22, 2008 2:08:05 AM

I run at 1920x1080 all high settings very smoothly with the occational rare slowdown. all i do for that is sit for 5 seconds and its smooth again. but that only ahppens very very rarely. im running 8800gt (715/1750/1025) opteron 170 @ 2.6ghz 2 gigs of ram. sounds like you have a driver problem my friend. or maybe it is DX10 cuz im running xp dx9 and its goin well.
January 22, 2008 2:37:46 AM

Make sure you have the Cat 8.1 hotfix installed. It has some Crossfire performance gains I believe.
January 22, 2008 3:18:47 AM

Correction.

I have all the settings on VERY HIGH, except shadows, and 2 other things.

I got 26-44 on demo Fraps.

Game looks great. I was amazed when you go into the mine, and you rescue the daughter and shes standing in the lift, when she is calling you to come with her, how freaking real she looks compared to every other game I ever seen.

Its incredible.

LAAkuma
January 22, 2008 6:20:39 AM

systemlord said:
Its old news that DX9 is the only way to run Crysis.

Old new YES. However, the animation still looks better on DX10 very-high-settings. This is hard to see on screenshots.
I still want to be able to play 1920x1200 @ 60 fps & VERY HIGH settings. This just requires a card with unEarthly perfrmance.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 6:22:01 AM

^ Break the game back (edit) OUT in a few years, lol.
January 22, 2008 6:24:16 AM

pauldh said:
http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=698&p=7

Legion found even the demo ran better in 64-bit than 32-bit, so I'd have to assume the retail 1.1 would also.

I would have thought you could play Crysis in DX10 all high at 14x9 on your rig.

From all I read, Crysis should run 10% better in DX10 and about 10% better in 64bit. I still actually beleive this. Now I'm just waiting to see it. My 3D mark fell from 12000 to 3000 after a BIOS update flash. Totally sucks. Anyway, after I get my system back to it's full glory, I'll try the 1.1 like you suggested.
January 22, 2008 6:27:38 AM

pauldh said:
^ Break the game back it in a few years, lol.

Bring back the game in a few years?
Good advice. I did the same with Oblivion and had a much different experience. 1600x1200, max settings, 60+ fps - even outdoors near the gate. Well worth playing this again.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 6:39:26 AM

oops, meant out not it.

Yes, I did the same for a few games. Farcry I had a 9800 pro first time through, then could max out details at 12x10 with a 6800U later, so played it again. Then played most of it through later with an X1800XT to try fsaa+HDR.
January 22, 2008 8:19:54 AM

will31 said:
Just curious what settings others are playing Crysis on with two HD3870's?
I am not able to play Crysis in DX10 mode with all High settings. Now notice I said HIGH not Very High, I am fully aware that Crysis was not meant to be played on Very High with our current hardware. However am I asking to much in being able to play Crysis on all High in DX10 mode with my current setup?

Here is what I am currently running:

ASUS P5E / Intel X38 Chipset
Intel E6600 OC'ed @ 3.2ghz (Will be replaced with one of the new Q9000 Chips once tiger has them) :o 
2 Diamond HD3870's oc'd @ 810 / 1201 both running on x16 PCI-E (Crossfire of course) slots on the ASUS MB
4gb DDR 2 800mhz
ASUS Silent Knight II COoler
Two Samsung SATA DVD/DVD-RW drives
WD 36gb Raptor HD
Seagate 320gb HD
Visa Ultimate 64bit
Running ATI's latest 8.1 Drivers

I can't see there being a bottleneck anywhere with my current system so that is why I'm confused? It could be that even at High the game is still too demanding on my system but that just sucks if you ask me, my Screen resolution is 1440x900. :fou:  So if anyone could be so kind and let me know what they are running Crysis on with a similar setup to mine I would greatly appreciate it. :D 

Check out this review:

http://www.legionhardware.com/document.php?id=716&p=3

And run crysis in dx9 for proper scaling, you should get 39fps at 1400x900 all on high, according to the graph.
January 22, 2008 9:04:05 AM

We also need to remember they are planning on making this game a trilogy and I may be wrong but I feel it's safe to assume they will stick with the crytek 2 engine throughout the series. By the time the second and third installments are out graphics cards will have come a long way and I think we will have things the way they intended to be. They were trying to future proof this engine somewhat and even admitted they that hadn't intended for you to be able to max out res and quality settings at this point in time. Sure they could have toned it down a little bit but then their engine would have started to look more dated in the later installments so I think they did a pretty good job. I personally have to play on a mix of medium to high settings to get decent frame rates but it still looks gorgeous imo. Have faith that in a little while mainstream cards will be able to tear through this game, ie the people revisiting oblivion and far cry. It certainly isn't ideal but I think it's far better than dropping gobs of money trying to build a system that can handle it.
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 9:05:13 AM

@ spoonboy - Wow, nice find. Cat 8.1 and Vista 64-bit too. Look at crossfire high details DX9 vs DX10. Looks like they found the same results as the OP. According that that review, Crossifire doesn't scale well in DX10.
January 22, 2008 2:13:09 PM

@ pauldh - Thanks! its an interesting read, especially the crysis results. Usually though, www.vr-zone.com has alot of early news on it. They got alot of asian members I think who post stuff from chinese websites.
Crossfire has some issues but for a change it actually worked in all the games to varying degrees (except crysis lol) , instead of being buggy and unreliable, so its come quite a way already. Drivers are improving slowly. The 3870x2 launch driver will be an ENORMOUS test regarding crossfire's future.

For 'will31' all high dx9 1400x900 could become a nicer looking combo of hacked very high shaders/rest on high/and post processing, particles, volumetric and effects on medium, at something like 35-40 fps. I just want him to reply and tell us how he gets on with it lol
January 22, 2008 4:20:28 PM

+1 for spoonboy

everyone that really wants to play crysis should spend the hour it takes to configure a decent custom system config file.

the shaders make a huge difference in visual quality in my opinion....resolution isn't everything my friends.

If you're playing at 1920x1080 but are down to medium texture detail...you're not doing yourself any favors.

Max out the games postprocessing, shaders, texture detail, and physics (and I don't mean from the menus....read any of the great tweakguides available and make the changes yourself in a separate custom config file) first and then see what res is playable.

1280x1024 or 1360x768 is not a resolution to scoff @ by any means when all the bells and whistles are turned on.
January 22, 2008 4:57:43 PM

All high settings here, not just certain ones. using the 169.21 drivers i believe.
January 22, 2008 7:01:25 PM

Just wanted to thank everyone for their input. What I get from all the posts is that I will have to just deal with certain settings at medium and some on High. I have tweaked the game to run pretty smooth but It's still not the way I want it. So I will continue to play with the settings. But my main question was answered, I cannot play Crysis on all high in DX10 with my current system/maybe even current drivers. I will just keep hoping that may ATI will improve the scaling with these two cards to give me maybe 10FPS more.
January 22, 2008 7:09:34 PM

are you playing it now crossfired in dx9 mode? or dx10 mode? did you get better scaling in crossfire dx9 like the link i posted said? just curious. High dx9 & high dx10 will look exactly the same, you'll just have better performance under dx9 so your not losing out on detail. If anything, look to take some or all of these down to medium:

Post processing,
Volumetric effects,
Particles,
Game effects,

Also give the 'DX10 HACK' a go and put shaders on very high. For the mean time with those drivers stay away from dx10 like its got the plague. Im pretty curious as to how you get on so do post back.

Cheers
January 22, 2008 7:15:14 PM

PlasticSashimi said:
+1 for spoonboy

everyone that really wants to play crysis should spend the hour it takes to configure a decent custom system config file.

the shaders make a huge difference in visual quality in my opinion....resolution isn't everything my friends.

If you're playing at 1920x1080 but are down to medium texture detail...you're not doing yourself any favors.

Max out the games postprocessing, shaders, texture detail, and physics (and I don't mean from the menus....read any of the great tweakguides available and make the changes yourself in a separate custom config file) first and then see what res is playable.

1280x1024 or 1360x768 is not a resolution to scoff @ by any means when all the bells and whistles are turned on.

lol thanks :D 

Your right shaders are the biggest factor in visual quality in crysis. All on medium with shaders and physics on high would look 80% as good as all on high but run like 50% faster. Hell a 3850 or 320mb gts should manage that at 1400x900 or 1280x1024 or whatever, getting like 35-40fps in game. My stock speeds 2900 pro manages 30fps average in-game with the same settings but water, object details and textures on high, and thats on cat. 7.12 and without the patch. In short yes, shaders on high, plus physics too, you can live with medium on the others quite happily.
January 22, 2008 7:43:22 PM

I found this link that states there is a problem with Crossfire + Crysis in DX10 Mode. Anyone else read anything about this.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33913189

Spoonboy: When I play the game in DX9 the game runs smooth with all settings on High and I think I even had AA x2 on?. But the lighting looks different to me. I don't see the light rays thru the Tree line and the shading is not as good, or is it just me??
a b U Graphics card
January 22, 2008 8:33:21 PM

Yeah, I would just play in DX9 with higher details vs. DX10 and lower details. tweak things up in DX9 and have fun playing.
January 23, 2008 9:21:57 AM

will31 said:
I found this link that states there is a problem with Crossfire + Crysis in DX10 Mode. Anyone else read anything about this.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33913189

Spoonboy: When I play the game in DX9 the game runs smooth with all settings on High and I think I even had AA x2 on?. But the lighting looks different to me. I don't see the light rays thru the Tree line and the shading is not as good, or is it just me??

Oh ok, well thanks for getting back anyway. You could try tweakguides.com and go through the crysis one. I think you can tweak loads of things, and get the god rays and what-have-you. You might very well be right since your the one playing it lol, but i read something and saw a few screenshots saying that high dx9 & dx10 looked identical. Glad it all worked out in some respect tho. I havent checked the link but will do now.

Cheers
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2008 12:46:38 PM

Rumor has it AMD held back the release fo the 3870 x2 a week because it's working on a new release driver and Crysis DX10 performance is one issue theya re working on. If that is true, and this release driver gives the boost they seek, your problems may be solved with this next driver.
January 23, 2008 3:36:42 PM

lol, fudzilla or vr-zone? were looking at the same sites :p 
January 23, 2008 8:07:34 PM

Thanks for the update pauldh.

I think I'm going to just wait for the driver and hope that it fixes the scaling issue with Crysis, I've playd with the settings and am not happy with the settings at mostly medium to get decent FPS throughout the game, would rather play the game witha mojority of high settings. I just purchased a new Intel Quad Core and should have that here shortly hopefully that will help a little but from what I've read it doesn't look like Crysis is really taking advantage of the Quad core like originally stated. Kind of sucks I completley upgraded my computer to include moving from XP professional to Vista 64, to DX 10 Video cards and now a Quad core and I can't even play the game on High... If the new driver doesn't help I will probably throw Crysis out the window. LOL.
January 24, 2008 9:27:10 AM

So your saying you cant play all on high dx9 no AA no AF at 1400x900 at 39fps, as the link said? its a yes or no answer kind of thing.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2008 11:07:25 AM

fudzilla I think. ;) 
January 24, 2008 2:49:21 PM

Spoonboy: I can play on all Hight with DX9 I answered that about 7 posts up already, however it just doesn't look as good to me as all high on DX10.

!