Looking for cheap, feature rich mobo!

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Here's my quick story... skip it if you want

About a year and half ago i built a C2D machine (pretty much right when they came out). I used a gigabyte 965-S3 mobo (exactly like the DS3, but had cheaper caps or something like that). I was pretty cheap, like 120$, it had some good features (digital out for sound) and worked fine. Now I've been having problems (random hangups) that can't be explained by pretty much anything :fou: . Done numerous reinstalls with different pieces of hardware, and basically brought it down to being a processor OR mobo problem. Recently, however, my ram slots have been going nuts, which leads me to believe i have a mobo problem. Also, it seems during intense read/write sessions to the HD it hangs, but i've tried different hds...anyways, i somehow think a new mobo will solve it.

My gigabyte 965-S3 had all the features i needed, but when i just checked out newegg, it seems like there's tons of new goodies in the mobo section. Is there something else i should be looking at, as far as a mobo with digital out for sound thats C2D friendly, solid, and cheap? As far as futureproofing goes, i really dont care, as ill be going to college in a year and a half, and i wont be bringing a desktop anyways.

Thanks for any help!

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
After seaching some more on newegg, it looks like gigabyte p35 ds3L looks like its very similar to my old board and is 90$, is there anything else i should be looking at?

chased13

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2006
Thanks man, thats what i was looking for- someone who was up to date on things, and yeh, i really dont need "features", i just meant digital sound (which seems to be somewhat standard now).

Like i said, this machine is going to the dumpster (well sitting at my house) while im at college in a year and a half.