CPU Upgrade Problems - Not POSTING

milkoy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
Right, so I'm having some computer troubles.

I've just bought and attempted to upgrade from an AMD 3200+ 64 to a 3800+ X2 (939), and now my PC is not posting.

My old CPU won't work either, so I don't think that's the problem, unless I somehow managed to fry both of them.
I've tried it with one stick of RAM, with no luck, as well as each stick individually in each socket, and it's still not booting, and it's not even beeping, even with no RAM at all. There is a speaker connected.

Spec:
ASRock 939dual-SATA2
Antec 550W PSU, came with case
HIS X1800GTO
4 x 512MB GeIL ValueRam
AMD 3800+ X2 (939)

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
You DID disconnect the power lead before working on the system? You havn't switched on without fitting heatsink?
Strip down to PSU, motherboard and CPU with heatsink. Should give memory error beep code. (String of beeps, usually). Try both CPUs. If not, is motherboard or PSU (or 2 duff CPUs) Check you didn't dislodge any power leads from motherboard.

Mike.

milkoy

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008

Yeah, I've done all that, with no beeps at all...

I'm really thinking that it is the motherboard that is the problem, as it is either that or the PSU, but I have only had the PSU for 1 year, and the mobo for 3, and how everything starts whirring and all the lights flash on, yet I don't get into my BIOS, and I can't even use the power switch to turn it off, I have to flick the switch on the PSU, so I can't currently think of any other way to explain it.

Barritio

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2006
Did you also change the CPU HS & Fan?

If you did, is there is also a backplate for it? I managed to short my motherboard by doing the same.

Other than that, resetting the bios either by jumper, or removing the battery for a bit,

Good Luck!

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Mmmm...sounds exactly what happened to me when my roommate came back drunk and fell on my computer...the computer would just hang and never boot and I the only way to shut it off was to turn off the power supply...by process of elimination, I found out the problem was the mobo, so I had to order a new one...once that came, everything worked perfectly...I'm not sure why your computer stopped all of the sudden...you sure you haven't had a drunk roommate fall on it lately? :)

hopefully you're able to get it working without replacing the mobo