Mobo and power supply compatibility question!

blofeld

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Evening all. I'm building a budget performance PC for my brother out of an old PC I used to have, with mostly new parts except the mobo. The mobo uses a 4-pin(and 24-pin) power connector, unlike a lot of the 8-pin mobo connectors of today. But he bought a modular power supply that has no 4 pin connector. I assume this power supply won't work with the motherboard, or am I incorrect.

It's a Socket 939 Asus A8N-E mobo, and the power supply is a brand I'm not familiar with. But it's an ATX 12V 2.2, EPS 12V. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Most power supplies should come with a 4 + 4 pin power connector for boards like that, meaning you only use one of them. This seems quite unusual but if there is not one 4 pin connector, then its likely that the PSU will not work with the motherboard.

blofeld

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2008
Okay, thanks nzxtlexa. I'll check to see if the available 8-pin is a 4+4 pin. Didn't look like it but I'll check. Thanks for answering my question.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
if theres enough room on the board you should actually be able to plug the 8 pin in (obviously only 4 pins will be on board) and let the rest over hang... although make sure your not looking at a 8 pin PCI-e power cause i believe these are wired differently...

Would be helpful if you added PSU model/make and we could look the connectors up for you