Memory working on one motherboard but not the other.

Talon010

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Gday i have two computers and i bought some ram and it only works on the one that i dont need it on and the one i thought had a more inferior motherboard. Anyway the ram is '1GB PC3200 2700 2100 DDR RAM MEMORY DIMM PC-3200' More info on that ram where i bought it here:http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI...em=230218496606&_trksid=p3984.cTODAY.m238.lVI
The motherboard it works on: http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=1842
The motherboard it does not work on: http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P4I65G

It simpily cant be recognise at all on the P4165g, If there is no other sticks in there the computer will not start up at all. The other computer doesnt recognise the whole stick but that doesnt really matter all i want is that gig stick in the p4165g. Anyone know why this is happening and if i can do somthing about it?

Thankyou for your time.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
Have you tried CMOS clear on the board it doesnt work on?

What do you mean the "whole" stick isnt recognised? are you booting it on its own in the other system and its doesnt add up to 1024mb?

Talon010

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
How do i do CMOS clear on the board?

Don't worry about the whole stick not being recognized because thats on the computer with the giga motherboard. But yes thats what i meant.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I agree, you should try to CMOS clear first.

From the link you provide, I see that both Mobo should support this memory ..

Why you should need try to CMOS clear is due to some Mobo are somehow still thinking that it was using the old memory and not the new one.

"Clear cmos" is just reseting your bios to the default settings. You move the cmos jumper over to the open pin (always covering 2 out of 3 pins), then back to the original position with the system shut off. Then at the first post after the reset, you may have to enter the bios by hitting an "f" key on your keyboard (it will tell you on the screen which f key to press), and save the settings. Also, you may want to reset your boot order. I use "floppy>cd or dvd>hardrive or ide 0".

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

Page 9 of the affore mentioned manual shows detail of motherboard... below listed at number 12 is "Clear CMOS Jumper (CLRCMOS0)" This is what you will need to use.

Further more on Page 15 it has an explaination of what it does and how to do it

Talon010

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Right so i opened my tower up and found the Clear CMOS jumper...but what do i used to put over the two little things? Could someone give me a noob easy guide of what to do. I read that manual stuff and it confuses me a whole lot. Sorry to be such a bother. Thanks

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
I don't really understand of your question? Do you mean you can not find the jumper or do you mean you don't know how to take and put the jumper back?

Normally all you have to do is remove the jumper and put it for 1-2s in CMOS clear setting configuration, put it back in the old config, and voila, it's done.

You can use your barehand to do it. But please be careful and remember to disconnect all power before you do. If you have some pinset to remove then it will be better ...

Dont' worry, I'd done it many times and never had any problem ...

Talon010

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Ummm the first one, i dont know how to find the jumper...

All i found was the two little pins. What is the jumper exactly? Is it a cord going to somewhere else on the motherboard?

So where do i find the jumper?

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Yes, that two little pins (well it's not two I think, but something like 8) ... Jumper is something like a tiny plastic, usually it's square with dimension like 1mm thick, 4mm wide, and 5-6mm (it's really rough figure) ... For the meantime I couldn't find you any jumper picture (I'm on mobile with really slow connection) .. Try to google if you can find it ...

The things that come to my mind is that there's a chance that you might have one HDD without jumpers (the pin are there, but the jumper is not) ... Darn, if this is the case better go to any computer shop with the HDD and ask them if they have it ... Or stole it from other device (DVD ROM as an example, normally the size is about the same).

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Nah, not a good idea chung :) It will work, but he will lose warranty to broke the seal :)

Talon, yeah, sorry I was mistaken with somebody else thread (asking for HDD jumper setting), I'm not reading the whole story in this thread since I was on mobile before.

Anyway, yeah, the idea of using HDD jumper can be applied (or any other drive, DVD or anything). But if you have SATA drive, most probably you won't have it. The other idea is you can just simply short it (electric short) with any metal. You can use the screwdriver, connect both metal pin for 5 seconds, and it's done. (page 15 on your manual cover the whole story)

Just be really careful so you are not touching anything else with your screwdriver. My tips use the short screwdriver, it will be easier to handle. I did it myself many times with many boards, so I'm sure it will be ok.

Good luck :)

Talon010

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2008
Okay: i found a little plastic thing jumper or whatever on my old hard drive and turned the power off and connected the two things for 5 seconds, then put the gig stick in and tried to start and monitor said no signal then i tried with my 512 stick and worked fine, i pressed f1 when it asked to set the CMOS or whatever. But what else could be up with this ram not working??? anymore ideas?? thanks alot everyone and antas

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Well, I'm out of ammo this time :) I don't have anything left to try for your case ...

My best advice in this state is try to contact your mobo (ASRock) support center (by mail or anything) and see if this kind of memory is supported by your mobo. They may have better idea on what's going on ..