A VERY STRANGE BEHAVIOUR (Wireless vs Ethernet)

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Hi all :hello: , This is my first post on tomshardware. I HOPE THIS IS THE CORRECT CATEGORY :sol:

TODAY, i discovered something weird about my wireless connection :pt1cable:

I have a megashares link card which i use to download, its like rapidshare and megaupload etc.
As a download manager i use flashget.

I didn't have any problems with my setup for a few days until one day the max number of stream/split files i could open with Flashget was 6. and so i could not max out my download speed(approx 800KB/s) instead i was getting less than 600KB/s, average 580KB/s.

-------------------------------------
So i tested on my other PC, which is connected by Ethernet, on that PC i was getting my max speed but still only 6 steams/split files.
So i messed around with my wireless to check if it was to do with range or signal strength but no success. :fou: .
-------
i did all sorts of tests, moved the router, took out the phone line extension cable, i even enable wireless on the Ethernet PC to see if it was the OS, by the way the Ethernet PC is right next to the router, so it couldn't have been signal issues.

I would understand u would conclude that the wireless adapter is the issue, HOWEVER i did some general speedtest from two sources, and my results showed not much variation between them.

Ethernet PC: 1. 6280kbps in kilobits
2. 6313kbps

3. 6.87mbps in megabits
4. 6.69mbps

Wireless PC: 1. 6331kbps
2. 6343kbps

3. 6.37mbps
4. 6.35mbps

The results are very close.. so i investigated the flashget, I only downloaded with one stream/split file -------------------------------- the Ethernet PC speed was 256KB/s whereas the wireless PC speed was 94-101KB/s.

ISSUE: WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT!!

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I tested it with some other megashares links and they all download at around 100KB/s when in 1 stream. Why is it that when downloading through ethernet i get 256KB/s in one stream/split file/connection. :fou: :fou:

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
I tested with other download manager, IDM, and i get the same speed for 1 stream.
I have tried couple of megashaRes link and they are all max 6 streams/connections

I tested withother sites and they can do 10 connections.
MEGASHARES IS NOT VERY good

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
Soooo, I tested with other sites e.g nvidia, ubuntu, and more to see if they are limited to 100KBs in one stream, they all could do more than 100KBs with 1 stream/connection so the issue lays in megashares however it works on ethernet. Also The other downloads are able to do more than 6 streams they area capable of 10 if not more. So another problem with megashares is limiting the number of streams/connections. THIS IS GETTING WEIRD and CONFUSING. megashares stinks they are random and sometimes i get 10 other times i dont, but the limit of 100KBs a stream/connection refers to all megashares when in wireless but dont when in ethernet.

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
The good thing about ethernet is caus its 256KB/s per stream/connection and so i dont need 10 streams to max out my download speed, 6 will give me my max speed.
However when in wireless the speed per stream is <100KB/s so i need more streams i.e 10 inorder to max out my download speed. Quite frankly this is odd. Next time i will go with a more reliable source such as megaupload unless there is a solution. :pfff:
I dont think its the wireless adapter thats only targeting megashares downloads to be limited to 100KB/s. it must be something else thats bugging it. :cry:

JustAGuy51

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2008

I am not familiar with Megashare or any of those sharing stuffs. Remember that there are intermediary networks to go through once your packets leave your network. Also that the speeds advertised are always theoretical maximums; in reality, things are always works slower due to delays, problems, etc.

pcangeldust

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008

Forget it, My link card expired anyways, and i upgrade to vista and now i use internet download manager which tend to give me over 800KB/s so am happy. :sol:

Still a weird issue, but it could have been the drivers :??:
Thanks 4 replying anyways :hello:

This forum seemed Dead, i wasn't expecting no posts. :p