Pentium 4 Overclock!

aztec321

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
Overclocking a northwood 2 ghz pentium 4 processor by changing the FSB. I got it to only 2.1 ghz. If I go beyond that, windows won't start ( I had to clear the cmos to get my computer working again).

Why is this happening? My mobo is an old MSI MS-6533, and it's capable of overclocking. Do I need more voltage? It's only at the default 1.5 volts.

Please help, all help is appreciated.

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
.... hate to say it, but your newb colors are shining through--do more research before you attempt to OC.

What is the stepping of your CPU?
what is the rated speed and voltage of you ram (and then how fast are you running it and what kinda voltage are you giving it)

What kind of HSF do you have?
What else is in your system--when you OC the FSB you effectively OC the rest of your system becuase dfferent busses use a divider of the FSB to determine default speeds (newer motherboards will allow you to OC while maintaining your bus speeds, but i'm unsure of the MS-6533; i didn't check cus you said "old,").

Do not add more voltage until you have determined your bottleneck--if you've hit your cieling becuase you have some slow DDR mixed with some fast DDR memory, you'll add voltage for no reason.

aztec321

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2008
All I can answer right now is that the memory is running at 2.5 V each (Ih have two sticks of ram, one is 512mb and one is 256mb.) - The 512 is running at 200 mhz and the other one at 142 mhz.