Your question

Bluescreen on shutdown then restart?

Tags:
  • Blue Screen
  • Shutdown
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
June 16, 2010 9:03:24 PM

hello, i am having problems with shutting down my system. When i shut down my pc just before it comletely turns off it will flash that very annoying blue screen for about 0.01 seconds and my system will turn back on. will i need to re install windows xp or is it a simple file i need to recover and if so how can i restore it since i have a professional disc and i am currently running home edition so i dont know if the professional disc will work.

please help!

More about : bluescreen shutdown restart

June 16, 2010 10:58:16 PM

Wait try this first:
. Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

Doing a repair install:
It's possible to use the professional disk, put it in the drive and start the machine. Let it load the drivers. Select: repair existing installation (read the options carefully) Don't delete the partitions (install on existing partition), don't reformat the drive.
When that's done you may need to install the drivers, download them from the computer manufacturer's website (or use your computer drivers CD).
Or download the drivers from the motherboard manufacturer (look on your board for the part number)
Then, if the professional has already been used and registered on the internet, register it by PHONE.
In case it's a new unused professional disk, register on the internet.
Then load your printer drivers or whatever else.

Before you try that:
Of course it's a good idea to back up all your personal files to CD, DVD, online backup service such as Mozy.
Repair install as above does not usually erase the personal files. But backup is a good precaution. If you reformat the drive (don't do that) it will erase everything.

If you must:
Take your drive out, install it as a second drive on a functional XP computer, drag the files off the damaged drive onto the functional drive, make a backup.
June 17, 2010 1:07:35 AM

You can go into the event viewer to find out more about the error.
start-->run-->eventvwr.msc-->look for errors (red X) in the system and application sections.

Once we know what is causing it, we can work on fixing it.

The system restore is also a good option, assuming restore points are turned on. Depending on the cause, it may or may not fix it.
June 17, 2010 1:32:15 AM

I admit that repair install does not always fix errors, but it fixes a lot of them.
June 17, 2010 1:33:37 AM

For sure. I'm not knocking it. You gave good advice.
!