Sign in with
Your question

how do i get windows xp installed after i am in bios?

Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2008 9:57:47 AM

how do i get windows xp installed after i am in bios i am having another problem here please help thank you.

More about : windows installed bios

January 15, 2008 10:32:56 AM

in the bios boot priority make sure the cd is first, put in the windows cd and the install should guide itself
January 15, 2008 10:35:26 AM

i suck at this i have came this far but am dumb founded when it comes to the bios , i still cant boot up my windows xp disk , i need to be walked through this with someone like a child sorryguys i am so close though.i tried what you said mrsbytch and still no luck. grrrrrrrrrr
Related resources
January 15, 2008 10:37:07 AM

i tried that to pink and no luck it is dettecting my hp disk drive though i dont know what the problem is.
January 15, 2008 10:47:49 AM

disk is in and all i am getting is this- client mac addr: 00 04 4b 06 4f 5c guid; o5808080-4b04-ooo-0680- 80804b04
dhcp...........
dam this is frustrating me
January 15, 2008 10:57:32 AM

Your PC is attempting to boot from a network server... that is a likely indication that your optical drive has not been properly detected by the BIOS. Hang in there... you'll get it to work.
January 15, 2008 11:19:17 AM

rodney any more suggestions as i keep trying becuase it keeps doing the same thing.
January 15, 2008 11:25:54 AM

would it help if i disconnect my internet connection while i try to install windows xp?
January 15, 2008 11:26:08 AM

What is your motherboard? I'll download the manual and try to walk you through the basic BIOS settings to make sure everything is set correctly.
January 15, 2008 11:31:34 AM

What kind of cd/dvd drive do you have?
Is is an IDE drive, is it the only IDE drive in the system, do you have the jumpers set correctly on the drive to master/slave?
January 15, 2008 11:35:38 AM

ok my board is a bfg nvidia 650i ultra and my cd/dvd drive is a hp dvd1040 and yes my connetion cable are in good, i really need this help thanks jitpublisher
January 15, 2008 11:37:28 AM

no 9i have to ide drives going and it says only the slave is working, my master says none, so i have beenusing the slave of course
January 15, 2008 12:00:25 PM

jitpublisher you still around??????
January 15, 2008 12:01:11 PM

Under "Advanced BIOS Features", what do you have set for:
Hard Disk Boot Priority-
Network Boot Priority-
First Boot Device-
Second Boot Device-
Third Boot Device-
Boot Other Device-
January 15, 2008 12:06:41 PM

Yeah still here, but I have to leave in about 30 minutes, hopefully it's just something that has been overlooked and you can get going pretty quick.
January 15, 2008 12:09:20 PM

k i have it like this thus far.
hard disk boot priority is not set yet
network boot priority is not set yet
first boot device-cdrom
second boot device-hard disk
third boot device is-hard disk

tell me the proper setting and i will set them if these are incorrect ok?

January 15, 2008 12:15:10 PM

These look to be correct....Go ahead and set your hard drive boot priority to the drive you have installed.
Under the standard CMOS features screen, are all your drives being detected and displayed correctly?
You had mentioned that one of your Optical DVD/CD drives was not being detected or displayed...you do have them both on the same cable I am assuming, as there is only 1 IDE drive cable in the system. How is your harddrive connected, I am assuming it is an
SATA drive correct?
January 15, 2008 12:17:56 PM

yes they are both connected to the same cable my dvd's and my hard drive is a sata.
January 15, 2008 12:19:46 PM

i still cant get that dvd on the master going yet it says none still on the standard cmos features screen
January 15, 2008 12:23:06 PM

Are the jumpers on the 2 optical drives set correctly...1 has to be set to "master" and one has to be set to "slave". "Cable select" should work, but sometimes for whatever reason with some drives it just won't.
January 15, 2008 12:23:41 PM

Dam it keeps saying disk boot failure.
January 15, 2008 12:24:48 PM

let me recheck myjumpers and maybe switch them hold on. hey thanks for helping
January 15, 2008 12:32:02 PM

No problem, this has got to be something simple.... hopefully there is nothing wrong with a piece of your hardware. Maybe just take one of the drives out, and set the remaining one to master and try that.

I forgot to ask, what is the "removable device priority" set to?
January 15, 2008 12:34:24 PM

if one of the drives is not working properly could this be the reason why i cant install windows?
January 15, 2008 12:40:53 PM

It could be....try unhooking 1 of them, set the other master, and try with only 1 optical for now.
January 15, 2008 12:41:55 PM

oh yeah baby i made it to the windows set up screen, i disconneted the one dvd drive and changed the setting in the cmos screen its setting up now thanks jit you were a great help. hopefully i wont have any more problems in this build lol. thank you again.
i will let you know if something else goes wrong.
January 15, 2008 12:46:06 PM

During POST, you should get a message something like
CD....press any key to boot from CD.
If you are using a USB keyboard, make sure you have the option for USB keyboard enabled, and USB legacy support turned on, or wne you hit a key, it will not detect the keyboard, and it will simply pass the CD booting phase and start trying to boot from all the devices you have listed.
January 15, 2008 12:48:25 PM

Great news....after your install, you can hook up the other drive and see if works, maybe the darn thing has gone belly up on you.

I have to go to work now, but I'll check in later to see if all goes well.
January 15, 2008 12:51:21 PM

ok new problem i am getting to the license agreement page and it says press f8 if i agree, so i press f8 and nothings happening whats the deal with that?
January 15, 2008 12:51:58 PM

this is my second try and no luck still with f8.
January 15, 2008 12:56:39 PM

is that a usb keyboard, or ps2 keyboard?

some mobo's have difficulty with usb keyboards before windows starts up, grab a ps2 keyboard, restart, and try that.
January 15, 2008 12:57:26 PM

Go back to my other post if you are using a USB keyboard and make sure you have your USB legacy devices turned on, and USB keyboard enabled.
It's been a while since I installed Windows, but you may have to scroll to the bottom of the license screen, you know like you actually read it.... before it works as well.....
January 15, 2008 1:01:06 PM

its a usb wireless keyboard
January 15, 2008 1:02:24 PM

Check page 54 of your manual for the USB keyboard settings.

If it's wireless, you may hit a brick wall and it may not work until you have windows loaded and the drivers installed. I keep a cheap PS2 keyboard around to work with these kinds of problems. But do check your BIOS and make sure all the USB options are enabled.
January 15, 2008 1:04:16 PM

AUGH, dood, drop that thing, forget about it until you're done and everything is up and running.

get a ps2 keyboard.
plug it in

your bios has no way of seeing that wireless keyboard.
January 15, 2008 1:04:53 PM

my mobo manual correct?
January 15, 2008 1:05:18 PM

Possibly a Drive Controller driver is not present but usually if that is the case you wont get to the "F8" Screen. You need to go to the Mfg Website and download the SATA or RAID Driver, it should be less than 1MB and get it onto a floppy. When booting up to the XP disk press F6 when it says to add a driver and follow the onscreen directions.
January 15, 2008 1:05:42 PM

jitpublisher said:
Check page 54 of your manual for the USB keyboard settings

he's got a usb WIRELESS keyboard.
drop it.
get normal one for this. get fancy one after things work
January 15, 2008 1:08:02 PM

ah I get it. F8 and nothing happens....
Wireless Keyboard...
Yeah get a PS2 or USB
January 15, 2008 1:08:05 PM

Yes, the motherboard manual, if turning that on does not work, you will need to run out and beg, borrow or buy an el cheapo PS2 keyboard.
January 15, 2008 1:14:35 PM

yeah i have fancy everything thats why i have probs, a wireless is still a usb keyboard.
January 15, 2008 1:16:08 PM

New motherboards and even those a few years old should be able to autodetect the drives. It is probably not the BIOS that is the problem. It is probably how you have them connected.

Drive Jumpers? suggest you try CSL (Cable Select)
IDE Cables depends where you plug it into the cable for Master or slave. I Forget the Order. Normally the connector furthest away is the Slave and the one in the middle is the Master. I could be wrong.
January 15, 2008 1:18:23 PM

well i have another hp wireless keyboard that isnt quite as good as this one if that helps.
January 15, 2008 1:21:29 PM

I know you may not want to hear this but I do not suggest you use any IDE Devices on a new motherboard.

Use all SATA Gear.

Newer motherboards do not work well with IDE because 3 gb SATA is the current standard.

January 15, 2008 1:24:39 PM

It's amazing how people don't even really read the thread. They just go about spewing answers to things that are no longer a priority.

Go get a PS/2 keyboard. They're 6 bucks at walmart.
January 15, 2008 1:54:09 PM

Smoked Turkey said:
Possibly a Drive Controller driver is not present but usually if that is the case you wont get to the "F8" Screen. You need to go to the Mfg Website and download the SATA or RAID Driver, it should be less than 1MB and get it onto a floppy. When booting up to the XP disk press F6 when it says to add a driver and follow the onscreen directions.

jkflipflop98 said:
It's amazing how people don't even really read the thread. They just go about spewing answers to things that are no longer a priority.

Go get a PS/2 keyboard. They're 6 bucks at walmart.

testify.

we're up to the part where he presses f8.
he presses it.
nothing happens.
we determined he's using a wireless usb keyboard.
wireless usb keyboard is NOT going to work until AFTER you're into windows.
he needs to get a wired keyboard, be it usb or ps/2
then we'll see if any more help is needed.
January 15, 2008 4:43:44 PM

Ok now how do i get my windows xp professional to install if i dont have one of the older windows like 2000,98,95, workstation or millennium? this is getting ridiculas now i just went out and bought the cheap keyboard to get this installed now i have this problem. any ideas out there guys thanks.
January 16, 2008 10:32:53 AM

Hi inspector71.
You'll have to have one of those if your Windows disk is an upgrade version. Only the full complete version will install without first checking for a previous version. (Although they are the exact same thing)

Kind of stupid question I guess, but do you not have an earlier version of Windows laying around somewhere, anywhere, at all, even maybe in someone else's house? If you did happen to have an earlier version laying around in someones else's house, you may want to get a copy of it burned onto another CD so that if it was ever left accidentally over at someones house again, you would have a copy you could use to get your upgrade version installed.

I keep an old, old set of floppies around from NT workstation just for this purpose. I just have to insert the first floppy for a few seconds, and the install proceeds.
January 17, 2008 5:30:06 PM

d'oh, you didn't say you had the UPGRADE version of windows. you probably saw it, saw that it was cheaper, and didn't realize the difference.

hope you have your receipt, or someone with a copy of windows 98 lying around.
January 19, 2008 8:16:48 AM

i just placed an order in for windows 98 2 days ago on ebay it should be here by monday or tuesday,It was a total rookie mistake getting the upgrades but i am still gonna need them when my full version of 98 arrives.

Thank You Guys,
!