MSI P31 4x1Gb XMS Ram?

John Wordsworth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Dear All,

I have just unsuspectingly purchased 2 more 1Gb sticks of PC6400 (DDR2 800) RAM for my Core 2 Duo which is seated nicely into an MSI P31 Motherboard. However, I have just found out that the motherboard apparently doesn't support 4 pieces of double-sided RAM due to... well, it says 'Chipset Limitations'. I must confess, I feel a bit cheated that I can't just slot 4 bits of Ram in and expect them to work, but hey ho.

My question(s);

1. Is there any way at all of getting the Ram to work in my Motherboard? I assume not, but there's no harm in asking.

2. Could anyone suggest a motherboard that will take 4 sticks of 1Gb (Double Sided) RAM? I often lean toward Gigabyte Motherboards, but am fairly easy as it happens so I'm open to other suggestions. Only real pre-requisites are that the board must take 4 sticks of 1GB PC6400 RAM (Double Sided) and my Core2Duo processor.

Now, I would also like to enquire about the process of moving my processor to another Motherboard (should I have to go down that route). Should I invest in some alcohol type solution to remove the current thermal paste from the processor? My plan is as follows, but if it's stupid, I would prefer someone to say now rather than destroy my shiny (fairly new) processor;

Open Case -> Remove the stupidly awkward Core2Duo Fan -> Clear off the current thermal paste -> Unhook the processor from the motherboard -> Remove the motherboard from the case -> Pop the new Motherboard into the case -> Pop in the processor -> apply a new sachet of thermal heat -> attach a new heat-sink and fan (not 100% my fan is great - it was really hard to fit on the processor) -> plug the rest of the stuff in.

I wouldn't mind over-clocking a bit too - so I was going to buy a meaty heatsink and fan as well.

Many thanks,
John Wordsworth (Not really used to using this thermal paste stuff yet - I'm a little old school still).

Mondoman

Splendid

I'd feel cheated, too.

It won't hurt anything to plug it in and try it; if that doesn't work then the answer is no.

Yes, pretty much any decent-quality MB. The p35 MBs are excellent, and the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3x series of MBs are great. Go with the DS3L for budget, DS3R for RAID & extra ports, or DS3P for even more ports/heatpipe, etc.

Yes, "anhydrous" isopropyl alcohol ($1-2 at your local supermarket/drugstore). It also doesn't hurt to get a small syringe of Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound for $7 or so online. It'll be enough for dozens of installs.
You'll definitely want to install the CPU and CPU cooler in the new MB *before* installing the MB in its case. Here are some guidelines/instructions: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/194385-31-part-assembly#t1184072

Finally, stick with the stock Intel CPU cooler for OCing. Very few of the aftermarket coolers duplicate the secondary cooling effect of the stock Intel cooler: blowing air down and out in all directions over the MB, which helps cool nearby components such as the north bridge and PWM area. Different MBs vary in their susceptibility to a lack of this cooling, but it can be very difficult and frustrating to track down mysterious instabilities to such cooling issues, so why risk it?

John Wordsworth

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Thank you Mondoman - that was, without a doubt, the perfect response I was looking for.

The tip about placing the cooler before putting the motherboard in the case - fantastic. I am sure that will make the 'revolutionary' idea that Intel had easier to install.

Ironically, I was looking at Motherboards last night, and I've got the 'GA-P35-DS3' on my bookmark list at the moment. Amazing. Thanks again!