How do i have two computers on one monitor?

Bidybag

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2007
Is there a way to have two computers by using the same monitor. So i can switch between each computer using a key and then switch back when i want.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Agreed, but make sure the KVM (Keyboard, Video, Mouse) switch supports the resolution you have your monitor set to as well as the keyboard, mouse, and video card connections (PS2 or USB for Keyboard/Mouse VGA/DVI/HDMI for graphics card/monitor)

-Wolf sends

dhvd79a

Distinguished
May 9, 2006

What kind/brand monitor do you have? My 20" viewsonic LCD supports 3 computers and I switch between them using a front panel button. My 22" widescreen viewsonic supports 2 using a similar switching scheme.

Dave

firemist

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Keyboard, Video, Mouse switch. Some have audio and mic switching as well. Just search for KVM Switch on newegg or other e-tailer.

Hozer

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
KVM, I'm guessing stands for Keyboard Video Mouse, if it doesn't, well, that seems like a good definition to me. Its a little box that you would plug your 1 keyboard, 1 mouse into, then it would have 1 area for a keyboard, video, and mouse, to go to computer A, and another area for keyboard, video, mouse, to go to computer b. That way, you can select "a" and when you press your keyboard or mouse, and it will affect computer a, when you move the switch on the box to "b" it will affect the other computer.

I have actually been looking for something like this. I was curious if there were any switches, that were solely for 2 USB ports. I have 2 computers, and 3 monitors, and it would be best for me if I could just use the one set of mouse/keyboard, but leave the displays alone. I'm guessing I could buy one that has monitor plugins, and just ignore them, but that would be kinda a waste. If anyone does know of something like this, do you mind linking it?

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
There is also software solution that will let you do this via network. It have some pros and cons. It's all depend what exactly you need to do on the computers.

I use a KVM and it works great, but just for monitoring or to start some render for instance, software based wouyld be ok.

Well they already answeredthe second part, so that's good.

But based on the specs for your monitor youshoudl be able to plug one PC into the VGA connector, and the other into the DVI connector (as long as you havea DVI out on one of the PCs) and then voila without added cost 2 PCs on the one monitor, like was mentioned by dhvd79a.

However if both are VGA output only, then you will need a KVM, if both are DVI (as long as not both the old DVI-D like on the R8500) then you can use a DVI->VGA adapter and plug them both in.

Anywhoo, you shold be able to figure it out from here as to which best suits your needs, I'm off to watch the game. [:mousemonkey:3]