Sign in with
Your question

RFID'S = I have a bug in my underwear

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2008 2:21:56 PM

Microchips in my underwear? Nice. I find this trend disturbing, am I the only one? Highlights...

_Microchips with antennas will be embedded in virtually everything you buy, wear, drive and read, allowing retailers and law enforcement to track consumer items _ and, by extension, consumers _ wherever they go, from a distance.

"It's going to be used in unintended ways by third parties _ not just the government, but private investigators, marketers, lawyers building a case against you ..."

In 2006, IBM received patent approval for an invention it called, "Identification and tracking of persons using RFID-tagged items." One stated purpose: To collect information about people that could be "used to monitor the movement of the person through the store or other areas."

The recent growth of the RFID industry has been staggering: From 1955 to 2005, cumulative sales of radio tags totaled 2.4 billion; last year alone, 2.24 billion tags were sold worldwide, and analysts project that by 2017 cumulative sales will top 1 trillion _ generating more than $25 billion in annual revenues for the industry.

So, how long will it be before you find an RFID tag in your underwear? The industry isn't saying, but some analysts speculate that within a decade tag costs may dip below a penny, the threshold at which nearly everything could be chipped.

In the marketing world of today, she says, "data on individual consumers is gold, and the only thing preventing these companies from abusing technologies like RFID to get at that gold is public scrutiny."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/26/AR2008012601126_pf.html

More about : rfid bug underwear

January 27, 2008 2:30:31 PM

Not to belittle your love of Ye-Olde-Grande-Conspiracy, but 'they' have been doing this for years to deter shoplifting attempts.
January 27, 2008 2:42:07 PM

THe RFID's discussed in this artical are not for anti theft. They are the size of a penny. They will stay in your items. If you don't mind them in all your items thats cool with me, but the artical says they are coming.

But as the patent makes clear, IBM's invention could work in other public places, "such as shopping malls, airports, train stations, bus stations, elevators, trains, airplanes, restrooms, sports arenas, libraries, theaters, museums, etc." (RFID could even help "follow a particular crime suspect through public areas.")

Another patent, obtained in 2003 by NCR Corp., details how camouflaged sensors and cameras would record customers' wanderings through a store, film their facial expressions at displays, and time — to the second — how long shoppers hold and study items.

Why? Such monitoring "allows one to draw valuable inferences about the behavior of large numbers of shoppers," the patent states.

This is different than anti theft stuff. Did you read the artical?
January 27, 2008 3:00:55 PM

I did. on ibm's site. Technology is independent of law, it's up to us to make laws, they just make the stuff.

could even help "follow a particular crime suspect through public areas." )

keyword: could
you could also use stereotaxonomy to controll 'violent mood swings' but it's not that good of an idea.
January 27, 2008 3:05:44 PM

To me, just seems like more of a steady errosion of peoples privacy.
January 27, 2008 3:08:40 PM

stop scaring the children
January 27, 2008 3:13:25 PM

I agree with IMajorI that this technology is scary, but it has been around for years now in one form or another. No conspiracy theory here, just noting the facts. At the same time, with all the personal information that gets out of the internet and other places, any thoughts of personal privacy are long gone. I see the RealID Act and the new national drivers licences as a more scary thing. My ancestors came over to America back in 1607 and include the first goveror of Virginia, but if I don't get a RealID card, I get declared to be an illegal alien and loose all my constitutional rights, along with my right to be seen at a VA hospital. Just wonder where they would deport me.
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2008 3:16:32 PM

Im pretty sure some hacker(s) are going to find out how to disable them or use them for their own reasons. This could turn in to a huge security problem, esp. since hackers are smarter than the law enforcers, etc.
January 27, 2008 3:22:37 PM

It always makes me smile the way people bring up the terms `conspiracy' or `conspiracy theory' as if they are completely made up or insignificant concepts in history and society.

I like to point people to the website http://www.mime11.com so they can delve a little more into reality.

Funnily enough - there is a documentary that goes into the RFID chip on that very site. Just click on `Illegal Tax?'

I haven't visited the site for ages and there is loads of eye opening stuff on there.
a c 145 à CPUs
January 27, 2008 3:34:08 PM

Shadow703793 said:
Im pretty sure some hacker(s) are going to find out how to disable them or use them for their own reasons. This could turn in to a huge security problem, esp. since hackers are smarter than the law enforcers, etc.

Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!! :) 
January 27, 2008 3:35:02 PM

In 5 years RFID will be in everything we own, in ten years there will be a data base with all RFID's in it.
Get used to it. Privacy is a relic of the past.
January 27, 2008 3:37:37 PM

so: either make your own clothes or microwave the ones you buy. (just be sure to keep a fire extinguisher handy).
January 27, 2008 3:39:45 PM

I can see it now. Some guy steals a TV, takes it to a local shop to pawn it off, the guy at the shop scans it, sends the numbers to the local police dept. and then the cops come to arrest the thief.
January 27, 2008 4:12:12 PM

I love the fact that US passports will now have RFIDs which means that you guys will be vacationig in some weird country and all you have to do is walk by a box on the sidewalk which scans for the US pasport frequency and BOOM. Scratch one Yank and put another notch in the Al Qaeda bodycount. Automatd remote control terorism. Sure is handy bein Canadjan! :) 

Edit... OP, it's underwear! Cant u spel? I can spel fain. Ill teech ya! :) 
January 27, 2008 4:38:51 PM

Ok you have just initiated my paranoid chip. RFID tags to track people are quite the last thing to board the band wagon when it comes to following people.

In the UK at least, traffic cameras now track/log and check every number plate that comes into view, for inconsistencies and stolen cars. Clothes recognition is used to track individuals entering and leave large cities.

The police are using facebook and bebo etc to profile you and watching the 'high risk' people with the hidden face of 'looking for depressed individuals'....hmmm to me depressed individuals and high risk kinda mean the same thing.

A supermarket it laid out to maximise sales of products, milk/cheese/bread and alcohol at the back.

But what is going to happen, is adverts are going to become so advertising to people, that people buy what they dont need and cant really afford it now. The companys will run these people dry, claim profits for selling to people things they dont want or need. And then that individual cant pay it off for ages, forcing them into the credit card cycle. And either is hits the fincial market hugely or people are forced into living on very little money.

Teach your kids to say no, make them rationalize on everything they buy. What it means for them now, later and a month down the line.

Save there money, the economy and keep these evil advertising and credit card companies at bay :D 

But we all love google :p  (Google is infact an advertising company)
January 27, 2008 4:42:46 PM

MasterPJ said:
Ok you have just initiated my paranoid chip. RFID tags to track people are quite the last thing to board the band wagon when it comes to following people.

In the UK at least, traffic cameras now track/log and check every number plate that comes into view, for inconsistencies and stolen cars. Clothes recognition is used to track individuals entering and leave large cities.

The police are using facebook and bebo etc to profile you and watching the 'high risk' people with the hidden face of 'looking for depressed individuals'....hmmm to me depressed individuals and high risk kinda mean the same thing.

A supermarket it laid out to maximise sales of products, milk/cheese/bread and alcohol at the back.

But what is going to happen, is adverts are going to become so advertising to people, that people buy what they dont need and cant really afford it now. The companys will run these people dry, claim profits for selling to people things they dont want or need. And then that individual cant pay it off for ages, forcing them into the credit card cycle. And either is hits the fincial market hugely or people are forced into living on very little money.

Teach your kids to say no, make them rationalize on everything they buy. What it means for them now, later and a month down the line.

Save there money, the economy and keep these evil advertising and credit card companies at bay :D 

But we all love google :p  (Google is infact an advertising company)

No one cares.
January 27, 2008 5:21:42 PM

I care. Watergate taught Americans that to much power in government (or big business) is a bad thing. It can lead to abuses. These devices and the ability to track people is creepy. They have tested facial recognition at the Superbowl already. Don't we have any right to not be tracked?
January 27, 2008 5:23:32 PM

It's not an invalid argument, just a boring one. Been writing your senator lately?
January 27, 2008 5:26:42 PM

Oh, and what about the machines that can see through 10 ft of concrete? The Tracking devices in dollar bills? TV's as cellular scanners? IR heat cameras? HUMINT gathering? Telsa weapons?

To the dedicated, RFIDs won't matter
a c 127 à CPUs
January 27, 2008 5:50:56 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
I love the fact that US passports will now have RFIDs which means that you guys will be vacationig in some weird country and all you have to do is walk by a box on the sidewalk which scans for the US pasport frequency and BOOM. Scratch one Yank and put another notch in the Al Qaeda bodycount. Automatd remote control terorism. Sure is handy bein Canadjan! :) 

Don't be so sure that the Canadian government is not up to something. am sure that IBM Canada will make the same things and all your bacon will be tagged as well :p  .

Oh well. There is not much change really considering that we have satellites that can look in your house and I am sure the Governments (notice it is pluarl) has plenty of stuff hiding until the right tiime to be released.

I see one interesting thing to this. Now your girl/boyfriend will always know where you are.
January 27, 2008 5:56:48 PM

jimmysmitty said:

I see one interesting thing to this. Now your girl/boyfriend will always know where you are.

Much worse than that, so will her parents. I can just see the conversation:

"So it seems your underwear was in my daughter's bed last night. Let me introduce you to my friend, Winchestor, Winchestor Shotgun. Oh yes, and this is the preacher who is doing the ceremony. Any questions?"
January 27, 2008 6:00:47 PM

How do you suppose they get the RFID between latex without tearing it?
January 27, 2008 6:11:01 PM

they dont, they just shove it up your a$$, saves on costs
January 27, 2008 6:14:35 PM

Pop it in the microwave. It'll burn out, won't it?
January 27, 2008 6:15:49 PM

With enough copper to be an IUD.
January 27, 2008 7:45:18 PM

jimmysmitty said:

Actaully its good that I can always know where my gf is so that it wont be a surprise when "our" baby is born and has rasta dreadlocks! :lol: 
January 27, 2008 7:47:47 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:
Actaully its good that I can always know where my gf is so that it wont be a surprise when "our" baby is born and has rasta dreadlocks! :lol: 

On the reverse side, do you want her to always know where you.re been? :ouch: 
January 27, 2008 7:49:49 PM

Not too woried. She has the techncal capabelities of a Homo Erectus. And keeps me that way all the time too! :) 
January 27, 2008 8:31:49 PM

The first time I see an RFID in something I own, I'll get worried and learn how to diable them.

BTW, Have you been watching too much X-files lately??
January 27, 2008 8:40:39 PM

Never liked that show. Watched it a couple times and decided to skip it. Back when I was in the Air Force, I did work in Aerospace Audio Visual and Reconnaseince when I wasn't on duty as a medic. We had stuff that would look into your living room if you left the curtains open from about a hundred miles up. Back during the Iraq war of 1990-91, we could tell the Ayatollas apart by their beards. There's really no way left to hide if someone wants you bad enough. Oh sure, you can go be a hermit into the mountains and hide, but if you do that, no one cares much.
January 27, 2008 9:01:03 PM

I'm actually just a normal guy in the suburbs, not a privacy nut. But when they expect to have a trillion of these things out there by 2017, that seems invasive for normal folks. Why should I have to microwave my underwear?
January 27, 2008 9:04:38 PM

LOL
January 27, 2008 9:28:07 PM

OlSkoolChopper said:

Google, "canadian coin tracking".

Coins in question may or may not be "made in Canada."
January 27, 2008 9:39:29 PM

Ya, the Canuckistan governement is just as sneaky as the US one, but my point is that there are a lot more people out there who have woodies against Yanks than they do against Canuckians who are generaly seen as naive innocents who got wound up in Afghanstan due to W's strongarmin. Yanks are always gonna be prime targets unfortunetely. And dont click on that first google result as its a freakin Trojan!!!!
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2008 9:58:22 PM

See the bright side. If people have microchips in their underwear they will be more careful about dropping said underwear. AIDS and other VD rates will drop, etc.

Also, insurance companies will be able to keep track of everything you do and give you exactly the rate you deserve.

There won't be any need for elections either, because a computer will determine automatically who you'd vote for, based on so much info about you.
January 27, 2008 10:00:21 PM

I'd like to add another thing: you'll never lose your socks in the washing machining again!

Somehow I swear it eats my socks...
January 27, 2008 10:01:05 PM

Just remembered something. Back when I was in my 20's, it felt like I had a bug in my underwear. A doctor sid he had just the thing to take care of it, as he got out a big needle full of antibiotics.
January 27, 2008 10:42:27 PM

This is the way everything is headed, and there is no one to stop them, unless a whole of people wake up to the fact that this kind of stuff is happening.
January 27, 2008 11:27:29 PM

surrealdeal said:
Policy should be separated from technology.

LOL, sounds like a page out of a book for my IA classes.
January 28, 2008 12:15:47 AM

Anyone who has ever worked in retail knows this is a good thing. Makes it a hell of a lot easier to track where merchandise is, meaning items dont get lost, abandons can easily be located, the accumulator can automatically tell you whats needs to be pulled from the stock room to fill the shelves (independent from purchase accumulator). Sure it makes it easy to see what people are buying... but most stores already keep track of that anyway. And of course it deters theft.

This is a good thing for retail stores
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2008 2:09:03 AM

You can get an RFID and GPS chip injected into your pet for easy identification and in case the animal gets lost. Is injecting RFID's into people really that far off?

After all, we have to keep track of the criminals and violent offenders, right? Chances are that criminals will be the litmus for human RFID's and will be used regardless that existing state and federal laws require registration with local police. Click this link to find an offender near you.

Any free person in any civilized nation should be concerned about how and to what extent RFID's will be used, even in the retail sector and general marketplace.

Another tool to erode civil liberties and personal privacy all in the name of protection and safety.

Don't forget to get your new national ID card!

Support the ACLU!

January 28, 2008 6:27:12 AM

sailer said:
There's really no way left to hide if someone wants you bad enough. Oh sure, you can go be a hermit into the mountains and hide, but if you do that, no one cares much.

Yeah, now that you mention it...... how's old what's his name? Osama something?
January 28, 2008 12:18:32 PM

chunkymonster said:
Any free person in any civilized nation should be concerned about how and to what extent RFID's will be used, even in the retail sector and general marketplace.
Another tool to erode civil liberties and personal privacy all in the name of protection and safety.

Thats how I feel as well, Chunky
January 28, 2008 12:40:42 PM

Blame Wal-Mart... they're biggest pusher of RFID technology. They even go as far as to require their top suppliers to use them. Don't want to use RFID? Don't plan on your goods being sold at Wal-Mart. For them it drastically simplifies inventory management, but the down-side to that is that the technology becomes cheaper and smaller... and thus has more potential evil uses.

It's a scary world we're living in.
January 28, 2008 2:40:56 PM

UncleDave said:
Yeah, now that you mention it...... how's old what's his name? Osama something?

Ok, that's one person hiding in the mountains that people still care about. But who knows? He could be dead and all we hear are statements from his henchmen and some written stuff, which could actually be written by anybody. But in that part of the world, technology is still pretty far behind.
January 28, 2008 7:06:20 PM

Aging communist lawyer's union?
a b à CPUs
January 28, 2008 8:17:42 PM

Even if they try to implement RFID some hacker(s) are going to find out how to disable it in about 2 weeks and the information is posted online. Free spread of information (like how to unlock the iPhone,etc) and, hackers, and OpenSource rulz!!!
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!