RFID'S = I have a bug in my underwear

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
Microchips in my underwear? Nice. I find this trend disturbing, am I the only one? Highlights...

_Microchips with antennas will be embedded in virtually everything you buy, wear, drive and read, allowing retailers and law enforcement to track consumer items _ and, by extension, consumers _ wherever they go, from a distance.

"It's going to be used in unintended ways by third parties _ not just the government, but private investigators, marketers, lawyers building a case against you ..."

In 2006, IBM received patent approval for an invention it called, "Identification and tracking of persons using RFID-tagged items." One stated purpose: To collect information about people that could be "used to monitor the movement of the person through the store or other areas."

The recent growth of the RFID industry has been staggering: From 1955 to 2005, cumulative sales of radio tags totaled 2.4 billion; last year alone, 2.24 billion tags were sold worldwide, and analysts project that by 2017 cumulative sales will top 1 trillion _ generating more than $25 billion in annual revenues for the industry.

So, how long will it be before you find an RFID tag in your underwear? The industry isn't saying, but some analysts speculate that within a decade tag costs may dip below a penny, the threshold at which nearly everything could be chipped.

In the marketing world of today, she says, "data on individual consumers is gold, and the only thing preventing these companies from abusing technologies like RFID to get at that gold is public scrutiny."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/01/26/AR2008012601126_pf.html

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
THe RFID's discussed in this artical are not for anti theft. They are the size of a penny. They will stay in your items. If you don't mind them in all your items thats cool with me, but the artical says they are coming.

But as the patent makes clear, IBM's invention could work in other public places, "such as shopping malls, airports, train stations, bus stations, elevators, trains, airplanes, restrooms, sports arenas, libraries, theaters, museums, etc." (RFID could even help "follow a particular crime suspect through public areas.")

Another patent, obtained in 2003 by NCR Corp., details how camouflaged sensors and cameras would record customers' wanderings through a store, film their facial expressions at displays, and time — to the second — how long shoppers hold and study items.

Why? Such monitoring "allows one to draw valuable inferences about the behavior of large numbers of shoppers," the patent states.

This is different than anti theft stuff. Did you read the artical?

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
I did. on ibm's site. Technology is independent of law, it's up to us to make laws, they just make the stuff.

could even help "follow a particular crime suspect through public areas." )

keyword: could
you could also use stereotaxonomy to controll 'violent mood swings' but it's not that good of an idea.

sailer

Splendid
I agree with IMajorI that this technology is scary, but it has been around for years now in one form or another. No conspiracy theory here, just noting the facts. At the same time, with all the personal information that gets out of the internet and other places, any thoughts of personal privacy are long gone. I see the RealID Act and the new national drivers licences as a more scary thing. My ancestors came over to America back in 1607 and include the first goveror of Virginia, but if I don't get a RealID card, I get declared to be an illegal alien and loose all my constitutional rights, along with my right to be seen at a VA hospital. Just wonder where they would deport me.

Im pretty sure some hacker(s) are going to find out how to disable them or use them for their own reasons. This could turn in to a huge security problem, esp. since hackers are smarter than the law enforcers, etc.

G

It always makes me smile the way people bring up the terms `conspiracy' or `conspiracy theory' as if they are completely made up or insignificant concepts in history and society.

I like to point people to the website http://www.mime11.com so they can delve a little more into reality.

Funnily enough - there is a documentary that goes into the RFID chip on that very site. Just click on `Illegal Tax?'

I haven't visited the site for ages and there is loads of eye opening stuff on there.

Evil will always win because good is dumb!!!! :)

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
In 5 years RFID will be in everything we own, in ten years there will be a data base with all RFID's in it.
Get used to it. Privacy is a relic of the past.

sailer

Splendid
I can see it now. Some guy steals a TV, takes it to a local shop to pawn it off, the guy at the shop scans it, sends the numbers to the local police dept. and then the cops come to arrest the thief.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I love the fact that US passports will now have RFIDs which means that you guys will be vacationig in some weird country and all you have to do is walk by a box on the sidewalk which scans for the US pasport frequency and BOOM. Scratch one Yank and put another notch in the Al Qaeda bodycount. Automatd remote control terorism. Sure is handy bein Canadjan! :)

Edit... OP, it's underwear! Cant u spel? I can spel fain. Ill teech ya! :)

MasterPJ

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Ok you have just initiated my paranoid chip. RFID tags to track people are quite the last thing to board the band wagon when it comes to following people.

In the UK at least, traffic cameras now track/log and check every number plate that comes into view, for inconsistencies and stolen cars. Clothes recognition is used to track individuals entering and leave large cities.

The police are using facebook and bebo etc to profile you and watching the 'high risk' people with the hidden face of 'looking for depressed individuals'....hmmm to me depressed individuals and high risk kinda mean the same thing.

A supermarket it laid out to maximise sales of products, milk/cheese/bread and alcohol at the back.

But what is going to happen, is adverts are going to become so advertising to people, that people buy what they dont need and cant really afford it now. The companys will run these people dry, claim profits for selling to people things they dont want or need. And then that individual cant pay it off for ages, forcing them into the credit card cycle. And either is hits the fincial market hugely or people are forced into living on very little money.

Teach your kids to say no, make them rationalize on everything they buy. What it means for them now, later and a month down the line.

Save there money, the economy and keep these evil advertising and credit card companies at bay :D

But we all love google :p (Google is infact an advertising company)

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007

No one cares.

ImajorI

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2007
I care. Watergate taught Americans that to much power in government (or big business) is a bad thing. It can lead to abuses. These devices and the ability to track people is creepy. They have tested facial recognition at the Superbowl already. Don't we have any right to not be tracked?

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Oh, and what about the machines that can see through 10 ft of concrete? The Tracking devices in dollar bills? TV's as cellular scanners? IR heat cameras? HUMINT gathering? Telsa weapons?

To the dedicated, RFIDs won't matter

Don't be so sure that the Canadian government is not up to something. am sure that IBM Canada will make the same things and all your bacon will be tagged as well :p .

Oh well. There is not much change really considering that we have satellites that can look in your house and I am sure the Governments (notice it is pluarl) has plenty of stuff hiding until the right tiime to be released.

I see one interesting thing to this. Now your girl/boyfriend will always know where you are.

sailer

Splendid

Much worse than that, so will her parents. I can just see the conversation:

"So it seems your underwear was in my daughter's bed last night. Let me introduce you to my friend, Winchestor, Winchestor Shotgun. Oh yes, and this is the preacher who is doing the ceremony. Any questions?"