Sign in with
Your question
Closed

AMD Phenom Black Edition can Hit 3Ghz !..very Impressive

Last response: in CPUs
January 27, 2008 5:17:35 PM

Not only is the Phenom a proper native Quad core...rather than the Double Cheese Burgers Intel Sell. In this review some nice overclocks were achieved. Phenom BE is better value than Intel because it has an unlocked multiplier. Evil Intel must be worried about about Enthusiasts Jumping ship back to the masters AMD. AMD manage to innovate Technology without being Evil. Evil always loses in the end!

Article:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQzMywx...

Article Quotes:

Quote:
With a little help from our friends overseas, we were able to get our hands on one of the first retail Phenom 9600 Black Edition Processors available. For those of you that are not in the know, the “Black Edition” processors for AMD have unlocked CPU clock multipliers. Our Phenom 9600 runs at a stock clock of 2.3GHz which is 11.5X200MHz. Being "unlocked," we can change that 11.5 to almost any number we want

Quote:
the Phenom is a very good processor

Quote:
The unlocked Black processors from AMD have something going for them that we do not often see, and that is the unlocked feature is being sold at no extra charge. AMD charges the same amount of money for the 2.3GHz BE Phenom PIB (Processor in a Box) as it does the 2.3GHz Phenom PIB with a locked multiplier

Quote:
AMD’s Overdrive application is second to none in the world of software overclocking tools. It is easily used inside of Windows to overclock your BE processor. You can control northbridge and CPU voltages easily while also toggling your CPU’s multiplier. It also has a built in stress test that will help you find the processors overclocking limits as well

Quote:
As you can see above, we were able to get a very stable 700MHz of overclocking headroom (3GHz) out of our Black Edition Phenom 9600 running for over 14 hours at full load on all four cores. Out of the four Phenom samples that we have used, one would do 2.8GHz, one would do 2.9GHz, and two would clock to 3GHz reliably

Quote:

The retail AMD Phenom Black Edition processors look to have just as much overclocking appeal as our engineering samples if not more. 3GHz from what will hopefully be a $240 quad-core processor is nothing to sneeze at

Phenom for Value! Phenom for Speed! Phenom for overclocking! AMD Frags Intel! AMD fans lets unite against the Evil Intel Empire!

AMD4Life!

January 27, 2008 5:21:02 PM

Clearly, there is an even greater need to combat information in other forums.
January 27, 2008 5:24:48 PM

Could you please add "(new)" to your subject lines if you post a link to an article that just came out.

That way when you post old stuff like this... I don't need to bother to look... since it won't have "(new)" in the subject line.
Related resources
January 27, 2008 5:41:28 PM

Reynod said:
The usual dumb crew ...

Pitiful really ...

sheep.

a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
January 27, 2008 5:43:14 PM

Thats great. My only question is to why they didn't benchmark it against lets say a Q6600 OC'ed to equal speeds just to see what does what on a clokc per clock basis.

Thats kinda a waste without benching if you ask me.
January 27, 2008 5:43:35 PM

I could be wrong, but i'm fairly sure I started a topic for this article the day it came out...

You could at least be original thunderman
January 27, 2008 5:44:12 PM

jimmysmitty said:
Thats great. My only question is to why they didn't benchmark it against lets say a Q6600 OC'ed to equal speeds just to see what does what on a clokc per clock basis.

Thats kinda a waste without benching if you ask me.

It had already been done with the engineering samples...
January 27, 2008 5:50:05 PM

Thunderman is pretty deaf you know...or is it blindness?

Either way he won't listen to anything that isn't pro-AMD.

And this is old news.
January 27, 2008 5:50:10 PM

Ummm.....hey Thunderman, I see you're back. Every heard of the Intel Q6600? Can overclock to 3.6 GHz with a voltage increase, and is faster clock for clock? And your Phenom can only do 3 GHz with extra voltage.....

Now, don't get me wrong, the cheapest Phenom seems to have some pretty good value at $200, I just don't think this one is all that impressive for the price.
January 27, 2008 5:50:50 PM

Well thunderdud forgot one thing. The actual review of the phenom be that came out this week that says they were lucky enough to oc it to 2.7 ghz. At 2.8 ghz it was unstable and generating a lot of heat. I guess just his hit and run tactics again. If he would only learn from his mistakes.
January 27, 2008 5:55:29 PM

kg4icg said:
Well thunderdud forgot one thing. The actual review of the phenom be that came out this week that says they were lucky enough to oc it to 2.7 ghz. At 2.8 ghz it was unstable and generating a lot of heat. I guess just his hit and run tactics again. If he would only learn from his mistakes.

Phenoms, at the moment, are very much luck of the draw. HardOCP's BE went to 3.0 but have had three ES to play with as well. One got to 3.0, one 2.8 and one 2.6 (IIRC). Some do well, some don't. THG's BE is of the latter.
January 27, 2008 5:56:49 PM

FBI profile on Thunderman: He is a 13 year old boy from Brazil that is not fluent in English, and has a self-righteous but misguided delusion concerning computer hardware, and sees himself as AMD's sole protector. If you have any information about his whereabouts, call your local FBI, or trigger the halon system.
January 27, 2008 6:00:34 PM

The funniest thing about all of this is that thunder is just making AMD look even more $%!##&.
January 27, 2008 6:06:39 PM

surrealdeal said:
FBI profile on Thunderman: He is a 13 year old boy from Brazil that is not fluent in English, and has a self-righteous but misguided delusion concerning computer hardware, and sees himself as AMD's sole protector. If you have any information about his whereabouts, call your local FBI, or trigger the halon system.

or alternatively, do the eugenically sensible thing, and cut off his balls
January 27, 2008 6:13:52 PM

thunderman said:
Not only is the Phenom a proper native Quad core...rather than the Double Cheese Burgers Intel Sell.

I'm an AMD fan. If I buy any Intel processor, it will be an $88 Pentium dual core with ECS 945 chipset motherboard bundle at Fry's and that just to replace the aging P4 I have at home. When I upgrade our main systems, it will be B2 Phenom based dual, triple or quad core when they actually arrive.

I'm sure there was someone on the boards doing the Intel equivalent during the Netburst days, and it was just as lame back then. AMD is the budget choice today. They are back to the K62 days (and yes, I loved my K62-450 for many years). They won't take off and have a chance to really compete against Intel until after Swift. AMD needs a new architecture, but I will give them this: the Phenom is a reasonable boost to older architecture. It's not an Intel Smithfield tacked on to Prescott.

Yet, that's not the Intel today. Intel's "Double Cheeseburgers" are better quad cores than Phenom. They are only slightly better. It's not all that bad yet. If Wolfdale benches I've read are any indication, when Intel gets 45nm quad cores out the door, then it will get worse. I'm not sure if 45nm Phenom's will be enough of an improvement to get the enthusiast crown, or the market share they had during the Athlon X2 days.

That does not mean that AMD will die, only that it will take some effort to overcome their mistakes in going native quad core at 65nm. A 3.0 gigahertz Phenom is a good buy for AMD fans, and might be a good buy when natively clocked 3.0 gigahertz B2 Phenoms arrive, but the enthusiasts here won't buy them. They are for mainstream and budget gamers like myself.

My advice: hang it up already. AMD has quite a bit to offer with hybrid Crossfire and RS780, with 3870x2 and even triple core B2 Phenom's. They just don't have enough to offer the self proclaimed enthusiasts who want an extra 29 seconds in encoding or 15 fps in Unreal Tournament 2004. At the prices they'll pay, I'd rather take the small performance hit and buy AMD.

Get over sheer clockspeed, because a CPU that's behind the competition already is not going to gain much by overclocking, except as a price point for people who can't afford 3.0 gigahertz Intel quads.

surrealdeal said:

I don't think so. No need to insult 13 year old boys or Brazilians. As far as English goes, many posters on tech boards who are not from the U.S., the British Isles, Ireland, Australia or New Zealand are far better speakers of English than I am of German, Yiddish or Hebrew (and let's not talk about my anime inspired interest in learning Japanese).

Thunderman is a person who used to attack Intel for Netburst back in the days when AMD had a superior product. Thunderman can't get over the fact that Intel survived the Netburst fiasco due to unfair marketing and OEM agreements challenged on several continents.

Or

Thunderman is a person who owns too much AMD stock and is really, really hopeful that AMD will beat Intel again soon. So hopeful that he'll Phenom reviews again and again. He should wait for RS780 instead, and post in a timely manner, not a month and a half later.

I believe AMD will catch up to Intel soon, but not in tech terms. AMD will probably be a viable competitor by 2012, but will be lagging until after Swift, when they actually start work on moving to 32nm with a new architecture. Me, I wouldn't buy AMD stock as I'm not an oil rich sheik with billions to lose.

I'll just do my part by continuing to buy AMD processors, motherboards and GPU's in my price range. I like the underdog, but that doesn't mean I ignore reality. Intel has the best CPU's now and it will only get worse with Wolfdale. Nvidia, on the other hand, is barely on top in fps, but not in image quality. So, ATI is the viable leg that AMD has to stand on today.

Sorry if I'm damning AMD with faint praise, and I really dislike Intel's skating through the Netburst days-- aside from a few court cases and investigations which they'll walk away from just like Microsoft; but reality is reality, even for dreamers like myself.

Ever seen the parody commercial on the old SNL with "Lee Iacoca" lauding Chrysler made in America engineering when the Japanese engineers inform him that only the floor mats were made in America? Well, I can imagine a Phenom parody commercial that lauds the old fashioned values of pins on the processor instead of the motherboard.
January 27, 2008 6:25:39 PM

AMD ROX!!!!OMG ONE SHIFT ONEZORZ HOLY SH*T THEY MADE A PROCESSOR THAT CAN BE OVECLOCKED TO 3 GHZ!!!!!

facts
1.most q6600s can be overclocked to 3.0 ghz.
2.amd offers a processor for nearly the same price, but with less performance(ie phenom 9600)

opinions
1.amd offers sup par products to people stupid enough to buy their sorry hardware.
2.the only reason i have any reason to like amd is the fact that it keeps intel prices down.

things i would rather do than own an amd processor:
1. use a pentium 4 rather than any amd processor.
2. bash my computer with a baseball bat
3. eat a pile of crap
4. hit myself multiple times in the forehead with a frying pan
5. play games on an intel processor, knowing it will do better than an amd processor.
the list goes on...

in short, amd may one day catch up to intel, however this does not look possible in the future when the new intel dual cores can be overclocked to 3.7 ghz on air!!

i dont care how you spend your cash, but if you want the best performing product, intel will not let you down!!
January 27, 2008 6:35:50 PM

intel schmintel.
what about via's new procs?
January 27, 2008 6:39:14 PM

nman729 said:
i dont care how you spend your cash, but if you want the best performing product, intel will not let you down!!

I think someone here missed the entire NetBurst era :whistle: 

The Athlon64 and Athlon64 X2 completely dominated their Intel equivelants on release. The Pentium 4(Prescott specifically) and Pentium D were some of the most heat-producing, inefficient processors. Core2Duo has since reclaimed Intel's desktop dominance, but you can't say they are always going to perform better.
January 27, 2008 6:43:48 PM

Gravemind123 said:
I think someone here missed the entire NetBurst era :whistle: 

The Athlon64 and Athlon64 X2 completely dominated their Intel equivelants on release. The Pentium 4(Prescott specifically) and Pentium D were some of the most heat-producing, inefficient processors. Core2Duo has since reclaimed Intel's desktop dominance, but you can't say they are always going to perform better.

True.

However the gap between the fastest Pentium D and the fastest AMD FX isn't as big as the fastest Phenom and the fastest Intel Quad.

Although the Pentium Ds takes a lot of power, gives off tremendous heat, and pretty much sucks, at least they OC'ed quite well.
January 27, 2008 6:44:35 PM

nman729 said:

You're either an Intel fanboy or someone trying to justify buying Netburst. Bad thing to be in either case, and just as bad as Thunderman's rose colored glasses view of AMD's products. Unless of course you're just trolling.

Me, I bought Netburst only because of Tom's Hardware article on frying an egg on an Athlon XP with the heatsink removed. I wanted tech that wouldn't die if the heat sink failed (which I had happen once on the K62, but that CPU didn't fail, it just crashed the computer).

I upgraded both Netburst CPU mobo's with a later Northwood, only because it was cheaper and easier. When Smithfield was in the prior position of the Athlon XP thermals wise, and needed a new motherboard anyways, I went Athlon X2 3800+. I did not care a rat's behind that the Smithfield 805 overclocked to 4 gigahertz on water. Overclocking on water was out of my price range and my hobby has never been heating bungalows through multitasking.

AMD CPU's are for die hard fans in the budget segment, or those who want hybrid Crossfire. That's it. That's me in both cases, plus if I don't go RS780 I still have a 690G in good shape for a $199.00 Phenom.

Don't prove that you're as bad as Thunderman, recant your heresy that you'd rather use a P4 instead of any AMD CPU. If your only choice was Phenom B3 or a Pressler, then I know the rational choice anyone would make.
January 27, 2008 6:57:46 PM

nman729 said:
AMD ROX!!!!OMG ONE SHIFT ONEZORZ HOLY SH*T THEY MADE A PROCESSOR THAT CAN BE OVECLOCKED TO 3 GHZ!!!!!

facts
1.most q6600s can be overclocked to 3.0 ghz.
2.amd offers a processor for nearly the same price, but with less performance(ie phenom 9600)

opinions
1.amd offers sup par products to people stupid enough to buy their sorry hardware.
2.the only reason i have any reason to like amd is the fact that it keeps intel prices down.

2. bash my computer with a baseball bat
3. eat a pile of crap
4. hit myself multiple times in the forehead with a frying pan
5. play games on an intel processor, knowing it will do better than an amd processor.
the list goes on...

in short, amd may one day catch up to intel, however this does not look possible in the future when the new intel dual cores can be overclocked to 3.7 ghz on air!!

WHILE YOUR POINT IS VALID...........I STILL THINK THE VIA C7 IS THE WAY TO GO, OR THEIR NEW PROCESSOR THEY ANOUNCED!!!!!!!!!!

V-I-A 4 LIIIFEEEEEE BIATCH!!!!!

(ps: thunderman is a ***)
January 27, 2008 7:15:14 PM

Over one month old.

Fanboys.

Yawn.

So where can I pick up a Barcy? Oh wait, still recalled. NM.
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2008 7:16:32 PM

Do you know what, it has taken me 20 minutes to decide wether or not to reply to this trolling.......

I am so,

mmm whats the word - lost the will to even come on these forums to listen to this crap day in day out.....

All he does is talk against the evil Intel empire.....

So does this mean that all Intel owners ( which is the majority I hasten to add ) are Evil worshipers.......

Thunderman.... you are doing Intel more favours than AMD.........

We dont give a monkeys uncle what you have to say as nothing you do say is anything remotely interesting as you have again posted another one with out anything but pro AMD....

AMD have had a lucky run with the Athlon 64, but not now... Get over it.

Come back and give us a title with out the Evil Intel Empire routine...

I find this offensive now, its not even in the slightest intelligent.

I tried to laugh at you in the past but now your annoying as dog crap stuck on my shoe....

Go away, I don't care where, just go away until you have a constructive conversation and stop stating the obvious, to which to be honest most of us are not even interested in.....

Grow up, have some rusks and speak again when you have released the evil Intel demon, as talking out your rear end seems to be your expertise.
January 27, 2008 7:20:24 PM

Perhaps TM works for AMD?
January 27, 2008 7:20:27 PM

Hellboy said:
Do you know what, it has taken me 20 minutes to decide wether or not to reply to this trolling.......

I am so,

mmm whats the word - lost the will to even come on these forums to listen to this crap day in day out.....

All he does is talk against the evil Intel empire.....

So does this mean that all Intel owners ( which is the majority I hasten to add ) are Evil worshipers.......

Thunderman.... you are doing Intel more favours than AMD.........

We dont give a monkeys uncle what you have to say as nothing you do say is anything remotely interesting as you have again posted another one with out anything but pro AMD....

AMD have had a lucky run with the Athlon 64, but not now... Get over it.

Come back and give us a title with out the Evil Intel Empire routine...

I find this offensive now, its not even in the slightest intelligent.

I tried to laugh at you in the past but now your annoying as dog crap stuck on my shoe....

Go away, I don't care where, just go away until you have a constructive conversation and stop stating the obvious, to which to be honest most of us are not even interested in.....

Grow up, have some rusks and speak again when you have released the evil Intel demon, as talking out your rear end seems to be your expertise.

you clearly are too nice to find the humour in laughing at a human being who is patently as stupid as TM - unlucky, I quite enjoy these threads :p 
January 27, 2008 7:25:56 PM

spuddyt said:
you clearly are too nice to find the humour in laughing at a human being who is patently as stupid as TM - unlucky, I quite enjoy these threads :p 

lol i second that ^^^
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2008 7:32:56 PM

Oh I am trying to be patient but there is only so many times you can hear the same story, without getting fed up with it....

Im gonna look for a re run of Fools and Horses on Digital tv....

I need a refresh to find out what it was all about again.....

Oooops being fatecious again.... Bad Hellboy...... Hellboy bad -- to much Intel ownership has turned me to the dark side :sol: 
January 27, 2008 7:46:36 PM

lol
January 27, 2008 7:48:21 PM

The dark side is more exciting.
January 27, 2008 8:14:34 PM

You know what's funny, go to AMDzone forums, and just read the threads.

What's even funnier? They don't even have a review for Phenom or Barcelona posted yet! I wonder why...
a b à CPUs
January 27, 2008 8:38:32 PM

Hey thunderman you should seriously should be AMDs PR person. Those quotes are so much out of context. Or even better you should be Clinton%u2019s PR. :lol: 
January 27, 2008 8:50:56 PM

It's actually a plot to get Intel users to expend all their energy replying to meaningless posts, leaving them with less money to buy intel products with.
January 27, 2008 8:56:51 PM

The title should change to something like this.
AMD Phenom Black Edition can[b said:
Only Hit 3Ghz !..very Impressive]AMD Phenom Black Edition can Only Hit 3Ghz !..very Impressive
[/b]
January 27, 2008 9:15:21 PM

I should've known....

Has anybody walked through wally world or read incoherent posts that forced the idea upon themselves that..."damn, daddy should shot that load in the toilet"...?

It's like an epiphany every time.

On a side note...
What's impressive is 4GHz on air.
January 27, 2008 9:17:13 PM

I swear...thunderman must be doing this for our entertainment. It's pretty funny. *good game*
January 27, 2008 9:25:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Jake_Barnes
!