Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Lexicon MC-12 and high end processors, you pay for the name.

Last response: in Components
January 27, 2008 5:25:17 PM

People always assume that high end high priced audio will be superior in every aspect to your standard receiver, this can be true when dealing with analog 2CH setups but in home theater it is not. High end companies either do a direct rebadged and sell it for a huge profit or they design their own but as you will see there is nothing high end about it.

Lexicon MC-12.

Here we see the Digital I/O Board "top" and Analog I/O Board "bottom" obviously they are in no way superior to how a receiver is built/designed. Obviously there will be no sonic improvements using a DSP/DAC since the high end does not use anything special or better then what is used in today's receivers so the difference would be in the analog section of the product. As you can see there is nothing superior about the analog section of a very expensive Lexicon MC-12.

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc12/smr_images.html

Here is where I found the pictures.

Halcro SSP100/200.

The halcro uses the Vinci Labs Titan OEM SSP platform.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=973556

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=18281&prevloaded=1&rid=0&SQ=0&start=0

In these threads we found out that they do infact use the titan platform.

As you can see by the back layout the halcro "top" and parasound "bottom" have the same layout and most of it is exactly the same. The halcro also uses the following DSP/DAC, Audio DSP: Motorola DSP56367 Audio DAC: ASAHI KASEI AK4395 The HDMI also has an Audio DSP: Motorola DSP56371.

Mcintosh MX135/136.

The DSP system Mac uses.

http://www.mds.com/products/product.asp?prod=DAE%2D5

The analog section for one channel.

This shows the power supply section of the mac, the two things I did like about the mac is the power section and the analog section when compaired to the lexicon.
January 27, 2008 5:27:20 PM

I posted this in here since most audio forums will ban for something like this.
January 27, 2008 5:31:52 PM

Poorly designed products are sometimes more expensive just because it took the company more money to make. However YOU may have a problem because the entry i/o is of a poorer quality than the system which it goes through, inducing sucky audio early on.
Related resources
January 27, 2008 5:46:36 PM

It starts to look real poor when you look at a nice sound card from auzenteh.
January 27, 2008 5:50:22 PM

So you're upset that you got a suck card after spending lots of money, is that right?
January 27, 2008 6:34:58 PM

I am proving a point that high end audio is a rip off.
January 27, 2008 6:36:26 PM

Do you think the lexicon MC-12 is worth $12,995US?
January 27, 2008 6:42:17 PM

It might be. I haven't looked at the specs yet. Tell me, did you really need all those IO ports? Did you even BUY it? or are you using it for the sake of argument. Considering the DSP and multi io, it could be worth that to some people. High end audio is not a rip, audio engineers need the fidelity.
January 27, 2008 7:21:35 PM

You better read up and look at what was posted, high end audio is a rip off and more people are starting to find that out.
January 27, 2008 8:10:13 PM

sure, for consumers, not professionals.
January 27, 2008 9:24:22 PM

That last link was a consumer home stereo. NOT a recording device. They are engineered to do different things. And just because something outputs 196Khz does not mean that it reproduces it the same way or at the same quality. No, i'm not clicking on all your little links just because you are having a bad day. Perhaps that's your problem, you only consider what you see on the web. You aren't really 'proving' anything either aside from proving that you really don't know what you are talking about. Trust me on this one, half my family is composed of audio engineers and we are very close.
February 5, 2009 10:49:56 PM

surrealdeal said:
That last link was a consumer home stereo. NOT a recording device. They are engineered to do different things. And just because something outputs 196Khz does not mean that it reproduces it the same way or at the same quality. No, i'm not clicking on all your little links just because you are having a bad day. Perhaps that's your problem, you only consider what you see on the web. You aren't really 'proving' anything either aside from proving that you really don't know what you are talking about. Trust me on this one, half my family is composed of audio engineers and we are very close.

Hi, I'm an audio engineer from Norway. My desk is a Neve VX ... done a lot of nice things on it :) ) But... in my living room I have a setup with 5 Genelec 1031, 7070A sub and a Lexicon mc12. What I use it for? mostly playstation. The speakers and the Lexicon are nice (not my favorite) but my living room is not made as a control room, so I can't really get the right sound anyway :) ) The only reason I have this setup in my living room are the fact that I got it cheap and had no use for it in the studio. So, I do agree with you, it's totally wasted money to spend tons of money on this kind of "home" equipment.

But it's cool to drive GT5 with it..... :) )
August 9, 2010 8:15:01 PM

Hi, I agree and disagree. depending on the item. Bryston of Canada manuractures very hi-end expensive amplifiers. They have the best warrentee in the buiness ( 20 years from date of manufacture for most of their equipment.) Lexicon is the industry leader in digital processing. you probably can not go into any recording studio with out seeing their equipment. On the other hand Lexicon currently has repackaged the Oppo BDP- 83 and are trying to sell it for 2800.00 when you can buy it for about 500. 00. This is where I agree with you. I know Lexicon used Bryston Amps. But this was so well known that even Lexicon Dealers would tell clients to buy the Bryston because of their great warrentee. I also have an old Macintosh mc 2205 that I am the original owner since 1974. This unit is still in my system and has never failed me. It been checked by Macintosh at their clinics and it has always outperformed the original specs. OK i did have to chage 3 of the lights that light up the panel but that is it. By the way I purchased it in 1974 for 1300.00 and I can still get around 900.00 for it. My conclusion is you must do your homework before buying any hi end equipment.
August 9, 2010 11:57:57 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!