Java thinks its still installed?

For some reason Java thinks it is still installed on my computer. I uninstalled it a while back and just recently tried to reinstall it. After running the setup program I get the message "This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"
Than after I hit OK I get the message "This action is only valid for products that are currently installed."

So, Java thinks it is installed, then says it is not. And I'm screwed because I still don't have Java and I need it for some new software. I've tried running CCleaner, poked around the registry a bit, and took everything related to java out of the Add & Remove Programs menu. Java STILL thinks it is installed. So, I need to figure out what files or values the installer looks for and remove them! Can anyone tell me what files the installer checks for or point me in the right direction for finding out myself?

Thanks a ton!
4 answers Last reply
More about java thinks installed
  1. You need to delete it from the registry. Like AOL, it won't go away unless you nuke it.
  2. I've searched and deleted just about everything I could find of java in the registry. Do you have any good terms to look for?
  3. What web browser are you using?
  4. Download revo uninstaller. See if it picks up java as being installed. If not, check out the startup services, and make sure any and all java services are disabled for startup.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computers Java Software Windows XP