HELP! my computer is getting slower

daricc1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
So I built my dream system Intel 6850, nvidia 8800 gt, 2G Ram, gigabye quad 6 mobo and all was well. Right out of the box I got 3D mark scores of above 14,000 and ran Crysis at very high settings no problem. 6 weeks later I am lucky to score above 5000 on 3Dmark and I don't know why. I have updated drivers, tried increasing GPU clock with gigabyte utility and used ntune. Still no dice. I am a novice when it comes to performance enhancemanet and overclocking so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

rallyimprezive

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2007
Usually, a gradual decrease in performance is directly related to a cluttered OS.

In most cases, the "clutter" is spyware/malware/adware, as well as invalid registry entries. It is also caused by a fragmented hard drive.

While you could spend many afternoons trying to clean and optimize the OS, its often more effective to just start with a clean slate...then be more careful about where you download from. :)

bobbknight

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Something has drastically slowed your system, this you already know.
Now the question is what could it be? Now is the time to run a good anti-virus and look for spyware, rootkits and Trojans.
The big question is what have you done with our system since it's first build to cause this slow down to happen?
I run ad-aware, spybot and windows defender also I use sysinternals rootkit revealer along with sophos anti rookkit software.
Last a good fire wall to see what is going out to the internet from your system.
Parn and warze sites drop a lot of crap onto a system, use Firefox as a browser to cut down on that crap.
A full format and reinstall may be the only way to get your speed back.

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
your choked up with TIF's and other mal ware

down load ccleaner - start there
go to run>msconfig and turn off the junk but ms and anti spy or virus

go to services>hide microsoft >turn off all the junk ware - keep your anti virus and other important stuff

make sure you hide ms so you do not turn off the os!

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007

that would definitely slow you down as it "phones home"

if you do have one - remove it in safe mode and first disconnect from the Internet

many Trojan packages will self destruct your system when you try to remove them

so you want to id them - then research how to remove them - usually you disable stuff in start up and services and restart in safe mode after you install the anti virus anti spyware

down load some free stuff like avg or sypdoctor lite at google

make sure you run it over and over until its all gone in safe mode

boot up in normal mode still disconnected from the internet and check again

then hook up to the Internet with antivirus up

i suggest you install spysweeper and have the start up menu protection enabled - do that in safe mode before you remove it.

Kari

Splendid
trojans and virii are a good guess but hows the cpu temps? maybe the cpu heatsink has loosened itself and now its throttling down to avoid overheating. Throttling could cause a major decrease in performance...

daricc1

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
Wow, thanks for all the help. I have run ad aware and Spybot and I keep tea timer active. I use the windows firewall( Iknow not the best but ZoneAlarm kept screwing up my DSL connection) I use AVG antivirus and a recent sweep revealed no hits. At idle my CPU is at 0-1%. I don't think the temp is a problem as I run 4 120mm fans in a massive antec case and have never seen anything above 50 degrees. I also have a huge heatsink and fan on the cpu at that rarley gets over 34 degrees! I'll try the other things and get back to you. Any chance the BIOS on my motherboard is causing the problem. Th bus frequecies seem to be OK and it's not locking up, just alot slower than it should be. And yes I promise to stay away from the naughty sites from now on.

mahoumatic

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I guess it would be something wrong with your CPU, RAM or display card...
Try resetting the BIOS and see what happen...
Naughty sites cannot be the reason to cause such huge drop in 3D
performance...

Valtiel

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2005

I think a helpful link is in order:
http://www.blackviper.com/index.html

Select your OS and follow his instructions to the letter. this will clean out unneeded startup services that are just taking up RAM. Also follow rally's instructions and do several DIFFERENT virus/malware scans and defragment your hard drive.

Edited for miisquote.

G

aint here to answer you, ( sorry ) im here to tell you that i got the same damn problem and was hopin to find some answers in here hopefully some of these recommendations will work.

What, if anything has changed since the system ran well?
Exactly what components do you have? In particular, the PSU.

Turn on the task manager , then the performance monitor while running your tests.
Is there anything unusual? IE unknown tasks, high ram usage, high cpu usage?
Is the vga card operating at it's proper rate?

Is the psu properly plugged into the vga card? If not, it will not operate at full speed. Is the psu a cheap one that has possibly deteriorated?

These days, 2gb is not enoough. It should have no bearing on your case, unless some task is hogging lots of ram. Regardless, think about adding 2gb, it's a cheap upgrade. Here's why:
http://www.corsairmemory.com/_appnotes/AN804_Gaming_Performance_Analysis.pdf
---good luck---