CA cingular, ATTWS, Tmobile changed roaming behaviour

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
January 21, 2005 5:38:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

Hello all,

Since y'day I noticed the following here in Foster City CA USA

1. My Cingular phone can no longer use ATTWS network. This is used to
work after the merger.
2. My ATTWS can no longer use Cingular network. This used to work
before merger too.
3. Mt Tmobile phone now can work in both Cingular/ATTWS. This is new!
Earlier it used to work only in Cingular.
What is happening? Any insider info? Or they have messed up?

-akm
January 23, 2005 8:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

No use calling Cingular, unless you know their CTO. Those
dumb a**es on the phone wouldn't even know that you can
select network on the phone. This coincided with the Tmobile phones
starting to work on AT&T network. I had heard that original AT&T
network in CA will eventually be transferred to Tmobile.
But that was suppose to happen later. Are they doing
rehearsal for that? I have asked couple of other friends in
San Jose to confirm that it is not a local problem in Foster City.
Can anyone else confirm please?

Thanks
-akm
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 2:27:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

I have the same problem, I hope this will be resolved soon. I had Sprint PCS
for use in Foster City (weak signal) and just recently switched to Cingular.
For about a month service was great and now it is gone completely, in my
house. Just few blocks from my home I can dial but signal strenght is very
week.

Anybody knows what is going on ? Did anybody call Cingular ?

Tad

"akm" <akmu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Since y'day I noticed the following here in Foster City CA USA
>
> 1. My Cingular phone can no longer use ATTWS network. This is used to
> work after the merger.
> 2. My ATTWS can no longer use Cingular network. This used to work
> before merger too.
> 3. Mt Tmobile phone now can work in both Cingular/ATTWS. This is new!
> Earlier it used to work only in Cingular.
> What is happening? Any insider info? Or they have messed up?
>
> -akm

Related resources
January 24, 2005 2:39:38 AM

But the original Cingular customers in Foster City area are
not able to use ATTWS network anymore. My friend in San Jose
could use ATTWS after few tries (He is also Cingular user).
Looks like problem is local to Foster City area.

I again tried all the combinations. Now:

1. Cingular can only use ATTWS.
2. ATTWS can use both Cingular as well as ATTWS
3. Tmobile can use both Cingular and ATTWS

To answer Tad's question re. coverage in Foster City: I will rate
them in the following order (based on my own experience)
1. Verizon
2. ATTWS and Tmobile (as both have access to both Cingular and ATTWS)
3. Cingular: hopefully this will be fixed and should be same as
ATTWS/Tmobile. After the merger there should not be any difference
between ATTWS and Cingular. But unfortuantely, it is seems they
are still working on the merger.
4. Sprint
-a
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 6:35:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

It looks like I will be looking for another service soon. Why is wireless
coverage in Foster City so lousy? I had the same problem with Cingular 2
years ago, when we moved in to Foster City. I used Sprint PCS for 2 years
but their signal was just a little bit stronger. I switched back to Cingular
and for a month I enjoyed relatively good signal, but now it looks like
that's over.
Did you try any other carriers in Foster City ? is Verizon any good ?

> No use calling Cingular, unless you know their CTO. Those
> dumb a**es on the phone wouldn't even know that you can
> select network on the phone. This coincided with the Tmobile phones
> starting to work on AT&T network. I had heard that original AT&T
> network in CA will eventually be transferred to Tmobile.
> But that was suppose to happen later. Are they doing
> rehearsal for that? I have asked couple of other friends in
> San Jose to confirm that it is not a local problem in Foster City.
> Can anyone else confirm please?
>
> Thanks
> -akm

Anonymous
January 24, 2005 9:50:46 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

> Since y'day I noticed the following here in Foster City CA USA
>
> 1. My Cingular phone can no longer use ATTWS network. This is used to
> work after the merger.

You're not alone. Just noticed the same thing myself in Redwood City. Our
bicycle shop has a Cingular cell site on its roof, so naturally enough,
Cingular is what I'd get on my phone. Until a couple days ago, that is, when
AT&T now shows up. Plus, I'm losing signal in a few places that I'd
previously gotten a great signal shortly after the merger.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
January 24, 2005 2:43:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

In Mountain View I could use ATTWS network with my Cingular phone.
Now I can confirm that the problem is in Foster City area only.

What should we do? I am sure cingular phone support cannot help.
May be I will post an email and hopefully it will reach someone who
will understand what I wrote

-a
Anonymous
January 24, 2005 10:57:13 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

If TMo now has the better signal in Foster City maybe you should switch.
If the Cingular service is unusable you should be able to get out of you
contract if they've decided not to provide good coverage.

From:akm
akmu@hotmail.com

> In Mountain View I could use ATTWS network with my Cingular phone.
> Now I can confirm that the problem is in Foster City area only.
>
> What should we do? I am sure cingular phone support cannot help.
> May be I will post an email and hopefully it will reach someone who
> will understand what I wrote
>
> -a
January 25, 2005 10:41:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:57:13 GMT, "BruceR" <brNOSPAM@hawaii.com>
wrote:

>If TMo now has the better signal in Foster City maybe you should switch.
>If the Cingular service is unusable you should be able to get out of you
>contract if they've decided not to provide good coverage.

Except T-Mobile uses the same network facilities as cingular (at least
at this time.)

>From:akm
>akmu@hotmail.com
>
>> In Mountain View I could use ATTWS network with my Cingular phone.
>> Now I can confirm that the problem is in Foster City area only.
>>
>> What should we do? I am sure cingular phone support cannot help.
>> May be I will post an email and hopefully it will reach someone who
>> will understand what I wrote
>>
>> -a

January 28, 2005 10:29:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

[POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

In <1106347108.815546.174480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 21 Jan 2005
14:38:28 -0800, "akm" <akmu@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Since y'day I noticed the following here in Foster City CA USA
>
>1. My Cingular phone can no longer use ATTWS network. This is used to
>work after the merger.

Still working fine for me in the same location.

January 28, 2005 11:17:51 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

I have had Cingular for more than a month and in the beginning signal was
very strong, but since Sunday I can no longer dial or receive calls from my
home in Foster City. Went to a local Cingular store and they seem to be
aware of the problem. They took my phone number and was told that they will
try to remotely reprogram my telephone so it will use ATTWS network instead
of Cingular . That was 3 days ago and there still not signal. Anybody has
any idea if this will be a permanent situation. I had Cingular 2 years ago
and the reason I switched , then, to Sprint was that there was no signal in
my home (Foster City). I did not like Sprint and went back to Cingular after
the merger with ATTWS hoping that signal will be ok now. It did work that
was until this sunday . Should I look for another carrier. I have just
signed 2 year contract. Any ideas ?

Tad

> [POSTED TO alt.cellular.attws - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
>
> In <1106347108.815546.174480@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com> on 21 Jan 2005
> 14:38:28 -0800, "akm" <akmu@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Since y'day I noticed the following here in Foster City CA USA
>>
>>1. My Cingular phone can no longer use ATTWS network. This is used to
>>work after the merger.
>
> Still working fine for me in the same location.

> John Navas <http://navasgrp.home.att.net/#Cingular&gt;
January 29, 2005 1:02:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

John,

I don't know whats happening. My Cingular phone does not roam
(even when forced) into ATTWS net in Foster City. But in rest of the
bay
area it works fine!

Can you send me the cell tower ids that you talk to?
For me Cingular is: 05452
and ATTWS: 20772

-ajay
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 11:48:27 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,alt.cellular.attws,alt.cellular.gsm.carriers.voicestream (More info?)

How do I find out ? Tad

!