E6600 OC

G

Generally, everything works fine, but I am really confused. The CPU named above, comes with 2.4Ghz by default. I OCed it to 3.0, without any voltage changes & it ran fine, at 55C at full load, in a hot room with 30C.

But, I wanted more.. I throttled the voltage, from factory 1.35, to 1.25, thus throttling the max load temp to vary from 48C to 50C.

All programs, work fine.. Some short test also went well, I'm on the computer all day. I'll leave some test running when I go to sleep. Now, my question: Wtf?

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
As far as I can tell, you just posted that you overclocked your processor and lowed the temps. I see no question in your post except the last word.

So what is your question exactly....

G

How is this possible? Intel engineers ain't that dumbs I suppose.. Why hold such a potential? Is there some issue hiding somewhere?

By the way, the temp, is actually 55-57C at full load, though the previous 55 at full load not OCed, should also be higher, as I measured the temp, while dual rarring(creating two archives, with winrar), and I thought it would bring the CPU to max load, but it did not, although the task manager reported 100% cpu usage.

Orthos Stability Tester, managed to get OCed CPU that high(to 56C), though it survived the testing without crash for over nine hours while I had been sleeping.

G

I'm sorry, not 1.35 -> 1.25, but 1.35 -> 1.325*

And obviously that is the reason, but why won't it come of the factory this way?

G

Yeah, indeed.. I did.
My question, is why did Intel, waste such a potential, bumping this chip at 1.35, and frequency of just 2.4, while it can run cooler, at higher frequency, with it's stock cooler?