Problem With Changing Resolution

Ok basically I have had nothing but problems with Dell for 6 months so I am just giving up and not even bothering to try contacting them yet again, recently I sent them my laptop to have it repaired after I kept receiving a blue screen error, they have just returned it having re-installed the operating system but almost nothing else. So I have had to install the drivers for my graphics card so it would detect and use it, instead of just assuming I had a "standard VGA" or something similar which is what it was doing.

However, when I go to my display settings I am unable to set the resolution any higher than 1440x900, where as before sending the laptop to be repaired I was able to set it much higher and I preferred this, how am I able to fix this so I am once again able to set the resolution higher.

The laptop uses the following, if you need more details let me know:

17.0" UltraSharp¿ Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT Display with TrueLife¿ (Wide Viewing Angle)
NVIDIA® GeForce¿ Go 8600M GT with 256MB DDR2 dedicated graphic memory

Also on a side note the touch-pad on my laptop no longer allows me to scroll up and down or left and right as it used to if I moved across it close to the right or bottom edge, it is intended to do this as there are even small drawings on the touch-pad showing where to touch to scroll.

Thank you very much in advance to anyone that reads this or helps.

Tom C-B
5 answers Last reply
More about problem changing resolution
  1. Not sure why it was fine then after dell tinkered with it the res doesn't go to native but you could try updating your gfx drivers:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers
  2. As far as I know the drivers are updated, for my graphics card at least, after half an hour the Dell guy did eventually lead me to their site where I could download the correct drivers for my graphics card but I will check on the site you provided in case Dell were not up-to-date which would hardly surprise me.
  3. After using the scanner provided at that site I have apparently got 17% bad drivers on the following components,

Intel(R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
    Intel(R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828

Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
    Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

High Definition Audio Device

Mobile Intel(R) PM965/GM965/GL960 Express PCI Express Root Port - 2A01
    Mobile Intel(R) PM965/GM965/GL960 Express Processor to DRAM Controller - 2A00

I see there is an option to download the correct drivers from that site, however I do not wish to pay yet more money trying to get something fixed that should have worked in the first place. Could any of the above be responsible for my problems and where am I able to obtain the up-to-date drivers for free please?

Thanks again.
  4. All this means is that drivers need updating... i can't for the life of me remember where i updated my laptop drivers from i'll do a bit more perusing then edit this.
  5. Ok i need more room here the downloads link :

http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers <--- want the lastest drivers look at the box to the right of the top d/l link it'll tell you exactly which version you need for which OS your running.

This link will tell you exatly how to carry this process:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=204425 <---- read the nvidia bit about halfway down the screen.
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Resolution Graphics