e8400 temperatures

starwarsmonkey

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Hi guys,
I just wanted to see what temperatures people were getting from their intel e8400 at stock 3.0 ghz and at OC. Also I wanted to know what temperatures I should be looking for when I OC.

Right now (3.0 ghz) I idle at 37/32(core1/core2) and stress test at 53/50. I am using a zelman cooler but I may have screwed up the thermal grease since as I installed it I removed it to reposition and then screwed it down.

Are these temps good? and what should I aim for? or what are you getting?

Thanks

PCnut

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2007
you idle temps are ok i would think. this depends on temperture in room also. I was running my at 4.2 ghz with a xigmatek hdt-s1283 and my temps stay below 60 during stress test... seems like on idle my temps were around 40 to 45 also on stock during stress test. the ambient temp in the room my computer is in is about 22 to 23 C.

pcgamer12

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
It really depends on airflow in your case, ambient temp, HSF. Thermal grease shouldn't affect temperatures more than about 2-3 degrees, unless you're going from stock Intel to like AS5 or MX-2. Temps are okay, do you have at least 1 front lower intake fan?

CompuTronix

Intel Master
From the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/221745-29-core-quad-temperature-guide

... Section 6: Scale

E8x00: Tcase Max 72c, Stepping C0, TDP 65W, Idle 8W

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--70--/--75--75-- Hot
--65--/--70--70-- Warm
--60--/--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--30--30-- Cool ...

Tcase = CPU temperature
Tjunction = Core temperatures

A significant percentage of 45 nanometer processors (E7000, E8000, Q9000 and QX9000 series) are being reported with defective DTS sensors, where one or all the Cores won't decrease to low Idle temperatures. Sensors can be tested using Real Temp 2.6 - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

Use Real Temp to monitor your temperatures, since Core Temp reads 10c too high on 45 nanometer processors. Read the Real Temp documentation to understand what this temperature monitoring utility does differently than others, and why it's more accurate - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

Comp :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Since Prime95 Small FFT's applies 100% workload, there are no games or applications which will approach this level of load, so it's OK for an overclock to reach maximum test temperatures of 70c for the Cores.

Also, do not exceed 1.4 Vcore, as 45 nanometer processors are less tolerant of high Vcore than 65 nanometer processors, which can handle 1.5 Vcore.

robx46

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I think a lot of mobo's have an issue (still) reading 45nm temps. I have an abit IP35 Pro mobo. And after the latest bios update, which was supposed to fix any temp issues, my e8400 has been idling at exactly 45c on each core for about 2 months straight!!! Never anything but 45c. The cpu temp however (note the temps on the cores), does seem more accurate, does fluctuate when idle, and is notably cooler than the cores temps.

And I pretty much know my cores are NOT idling at 45c, especially yesterday when I had AC blasting into my room, plus I have a decent case/fans/airflow, and a zalman 9700 w/AS5 as my thermal paste.

Every monitoring prog reads the same thing as well, always 45c. And I use all of the best.
Luckily I am in a position, even with my 3.71ghz OC, to feel very comfortable about my temps with my good cooling. And I just pretty much ignore the 2 core temps at idle and just pay attention to the cpu temp. The 2 cores will jump, I think, if under stress and possibly give accurate results, but I still don't trust them.

However, something like this would suck for somebody who does have to keep an eye on cooling.
And I know a number of mobo's have had issues with 45nm temps. As for the e8400 itself. I love it! I was able to get it to 3.71ghz while keeping my valueram DDR2 800 tightened 1-2 notches for all timings! I know I could pretty easily surpass 3.8ghz if I want to loosen them a bit or even go back to stock timings.

Anyhow, probably the best cheap high end cpu you can get. I know there are faster more expensive cpu's out there, but I game with a GTX 280 graphic card and this cpu with its OC pairs up very nicely with it, so what more could I ask for?

jerb

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Too starwarsmonkey: just Download Real Temp to get the most accuret temp for your e8400, it is the best so far for dual cores. All else including Speed Fan and Hardware Monitor will tell u like 5c or 10c higher.

MY e8400 OC'ed @ 3.6 (no voltage changes) Note: i do keep Intel Speed Step enabled so save on power, I do not think that it would have too much effect on my temp cause i have not changed any voltages.

In the summertime in my apartment, apartment temp= 80f (windows and slider opened:) ) Note: as the ambient room temp goes up so does my processor.

e8400= idle according to Real Temp using a Zalman cooler in a Cooler Master Stacker 830 Evo= 28c/32c idle with air conditioning= 25c/31c (weird result)
it seems the core that gets used the least goes down a good deal in temp but my other core almost never changes, but on load in prime there exact the same hehe.

load Temps to come after i load Prime 95:)

After Prime95 Blend test i get 42c/42c on each core. (bout 10c rise on both cores)

I hope this helps, and in my opinon the e8400 is an awsome processor that runs cool and has awsome OC head room:)

keep in mind i am a air cooling entusiest and i care alot about the results i get from my machine. Screw overpriced and big hassle water cooling:p even though i kinda wanna try watercooling:)

jerb

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Starwarsmonkey, i think your actual temp's are 8c-10c cooler than u reported. Download Real Temp and then report, i bet u will net 8c-10c cooler.

Even so at your overclock and temp's your are great, you will have a great and lasting cpu/machine:)

BTW, is that the lowest VCORE that you have been stable with? if not try for lower:) Just reread your post and noticed you did the auto setting, when going beyond 3.6 on e8400 its best to go with manual voltages and disable speed step till u hit your wall/stable opp. Because Bios sometimes gives too much voltage than needed.

Hope this helps. It seems your temp on load is a great increase more than normal at least to me it is, also what is your ambient room tmperature?

~jerb

CompuTronix

Intel Master
robx46,

Differences in motherboards and BIOS have nothing to do with Core temperatrures. As you've discovered, BIOS updates affect the accuracy of CPU temperature only (Tcase), however, BIOS updates do not affect the accuracy of Core temperatures (Tjunction). The reason for this has been clearly explained in Section 5 of my Temperature Guide.

Also, as has been mentioned, many 45 nanometer processors have Digital Thermal Sensors which "stick", and won't correctly display true Core temperatures at Idle. Use Real Temp's "Test Sensors" button to determine how reponsive your sensors are. Real Temp also provides Idle calibrations separate from Tjunction Max calibrations.

Again, the ever popular "Core Temp" is inaccurate on 45 nanometer processors, and indicates 10c too high. Only Real Temp will provide you with accurate Core temperatures, which is explained in the documentation - http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/docs.php

starwarsmonkey

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
end result:
3.8 ghz with 1.24 V in CPU-Z, i think 1.285 in bios, with load temps of 63/61.

Tempted to go to 4 but I think I'll stay here for a bit.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Intel specifies that for the E8400, Vcore Max is 1.3625 - http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SLAPL - and maximum CPU temperature (Tcase Max) and Core temperatures (Tjunction) correspond to the colored scale shown 10 posts above.

Since each 100 Mhz increase in processor clock speed requires ~ 50 millivolts additional Vcore for stabllity, which is accompanied by an increase in temperature of 3 to 4c, means that 4.0 Ghz is a realistic goal for your rig.

3.8 Ghz
1.285 Vcore BIOS
1.24 Vcore Load
Ambient 25c - 27c
Cores 63c/61c (Warm limit 70c)

4.0 Ghz
1.385 Vcore BIOS
1.34 Vcore Load
Ambient 25c - 27c
Cores 71c/69c (Warm limit 70c)

You can safely increase your overclock to 4.0 Ghz, if you wish to do so. Again, remember that since load testing with Prime95 Small FFT's provides 100% workload, the most rigorous games and applications seldom exceed 70 to 80% continuous workload, and never reach 100% continuous workload, so load testing which reaches Core temperatures of 70c are perfectly acceptable for the E8400.

carlos22

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2008

Hi!

I just got an e8400. I've overclocked to 3463 MHz and real temp is showing temps of 59C after 30 minutes with prime 95 running and full load on both cores.

At idle I'm getting 38C!

Do you guys think my temperatures are too high?

Thanks in advance