A8N32-Sli Deluxe onboard sound problem

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I googled and searched the (Asus) forums and can't find any solution to the problem. There is one post of someone asking a question on a similar problem but no one answered him with the answer or any advice.

I sometimes use headphones for my computer to listen to music or watch a movie but there is a loud crackling and hiss whenever something is paused. I know that many people have complained the problem is when moving the mouse or something similar. But, mine is slightly different than that as it is a constant hissing/crackling regardless of what I'm doing. I can just be sitting there, doing nothing on the computer and the hissing/crackling continues. When I play music/movie with the headphones on, I don't hear it much until I hit pause on the media player.

I am using noise-isolating earphones. I also use them with my portable mp3 player and have no hissing/crackling then so I am sure it has to do with the motherboard onboard sound. I am hoping there is a solution because it is very annoying and unusable in the current state. I was thinking of getting another set of headphones (that fit outside of the ear) and hoping that the noise-isolating phones is a culprit. However, I am inclined to think it has to do with the Asus onboard sound. I updated the sound drivers and it didn't fix the issue. I really didn't want to be another Asus owner who can't figure out what to do and ends up buying a sound card. I would shell out for a sound card if that would absolutely fix the problem and I could be rest assured it would but if there are some things to try first, I'd rather do that before researching sound cards!

Please, anyone who owns this board or has had a similar problem, give me some ideas or explain what is wrong and how to fix it! The issue is really irritating and I need the option of headphones.

uberman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2007
I have that same board and had the same issue.The problem seems to be the onboard picks up electrical noise from the MB,processor.I ended up getting a sound card and it solved the problem.No need getting a real expensive one though,a cheap one will still sound better than what you have.

sunny27

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2007
i had the same problem on my s939 a8n-e--nvidia nforce 4 ultra chipset.all i did was flash the bios and everything was back to normal.
so update ur bios!

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007

I thought I had minimzed or solved the problem but it's back. Are you saying a sound card will solve the problem permanently because it's annoying me to the point I will have no choice but to sell the motherboard otherwise. If it took a sound card to solve the problem, then I would find the money and get one. But, I need to know for certain.

jch12

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Mute the built-in PC speaker.

http://unitstep.net/blog/2007/05/17/fixing-sound-interference-on-the-asus-a8n32-sli-deluxe/