XFX 680i LT w/P31 & Pencil Mod?

Okay, so I wanted to get some input from the masses. I haven't had any luck getting a continuously stable OC on my system (below). Course, my mobo isn't well known for easy OC'ing. Anyhow, I'm considering the idea of the "Pencil mod" as it sounds simple, and reducing Vdrop is probably a good thing. So I'd like to get some advice or input on that issue.

Also, I read on another forum that people are flashing their 680i LT SLI boards (which usually use P07 BIOS) to the P31 BIOS which is for the 680i SLI (not LT) boards. I've read everything from better OC's, better stability, to people being able to OC with lower Vcore settings than before.

Anyone here have any input or experience with flashing the P31 BIOS instead of the P07?

Thanks ahead of time! :)

Fortunately I already know that much! lol I've strongly suggested to several people on Tom's not to buy 680 motherboards (I try to steer people toward Intel chipsets). But, my questions were for input on people's experience with the "pencil mod" and flashing the P31 BIOS to a 680i LT model.

diddler1979

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
I have the P31 bios on my XFX 680i LT and have my Q6600 overclocked to 3.4Ghz stable.

I dropped the CPU multiplier to 8, put the QDR to 1700 and DDR to 850 and bingo. CPU core voltage runs just below 1.44v and its spot on.

diddler1979

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Mobo = XFX 680i LT (flashed with P31 680i Bios)
Ram = 4Gb Corsair Dominator PC-8500
GPU = BFG Geforce 280 GTX OCX SLi
PSU = Coolermaster M700
Sound = X-Fi Fatal1ty

2nd280GTXFitted.jpg

Vantage Score = P21136 3DMarks

:sol:

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007

What do you mean the 680i is difficult to overclock? In fact the opposite is true. Sure they have some quirks but once you know it's strengths and limitations it's very easy. Not to sound snooty but that's hardly a serous overclock plus the 680i's are known to have FSB holes, especially around the 1333Mhz-1533Mhz range where you are (according to your sig). Don't be afraid to give it some voltage and push the FSB up. I've maxed out all the voltages on my board except the CPU voltage which I've had up to 1.7v 4.1Gz on my Q6600, only the CPU was water cooled everything else was air cooled with no damage done.

The vDroop on these boards is high but that's not your problem. Besides it's only like .05 which you can easily overvolt it by that much to make up for it. You should EASILY be able to set the FSB to 400Mhz at 1.38v for a stable 3.6Ghz. Even then that is with extra voltage.

Keep an eye on your temps and give it some voltage as long as you stay under 1.5v and keep it cool you'll get a stable overclock without doing any damage.