[Motherboard] PCI-E 2.0

Hi i am currently thinking about upgrading my computer and as i was looking threw video cards and motherboards i notice this new pci-e 2.0. Does this mean i have to find a new board that supports pci-e 2.0 slots or is this just something to with the the video card byitself and it can go into any pci-e slot on a pci-e motherboard.
4 answers Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. Can anyone help me?
  2. Mystikalrush said:
    Hi i am currently thinking about upgrading my computer and as i was looking threw video cards and motherboards i notice this new pci-e 2.0. Does this mean i have to find a new board that supports pci-e 2.0 slots or is this just something to with the the video card byitself and it can go into any pci-e slot on a pci-e motherboard.

The card should be backward compatible but will run at PCI e 1.0 so you don't need a new mobo
  3. So does this mean if i buy a pci-e 2.0 card it will not run at its intended Gpu speed, pipeline, memory speed, and Memory bandwidth?
  4. Cards will always run at the intended speed no matter what, the bottleneck would be the abiliity for the card to push data through the slower interconnect of PCI-e1.1. However, current gen PCI-e2.0 cards wont be able to flood the PCI-e1.1 with enough data to create a bottleneck anyways. So you wont get any speed degredation using a PCI-e2.0 card on a PCI-e1.1 interface at the moment.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Graphics Cards PCI Express