Odd E8400 behavior

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Well, I had to replace a dying MSI P965 Platinum with a P35 Neo2, so I figured what the heck and got a shiny new E8400 to go with it. Just arrived yesterday and has been running very smooth.

However, when I run speedfan (running VistaX64 so no luck with Coretemp or TAT) it registers core 1 & 2 temps as about 37/31, which seems oddly divergant. If I start stressing it with orthos core 1 jumps to 52, and core 2 doesn't move much, if at all.

My guess is that temp sensors for the E8400 simply aren't accurate yet. Should I be worried that one core isn't touching the heat shield properly? I've never seen temps so divergent. My E6400 was rarely more than 2C off between core 1 & 2.

I'm using a Zalman 9500 which I love, and had great luck with for my E6400.

Any thoughts?

dragonsprayer

Splendid
Jan 3, 2007
who cares! sorry not to be rude! but speed fan is often wrong
what you see is normal to answer your question

so regardless of high or low, if your cpu is 33c or 53c it will make little difference in how long the system lasts or its top speed

the cpu will last 10 years at both temps most likely but the system will be out dated in 5 years or less. the system will run about the same safe max speed.

As far as cpu temps jumping from 33c to 53c that is normal with a low end cpu cooler or a high overclock. This affect exacerbated by a floating multiple in for Intel speed step (old name)

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Yeah I'm not worried about 53C per se, but that doesn't leave me much room to overclock. One would expect a move to 45nm parts to allow some pretty good leeway.

Given a 20C difference on the Cores at load, and the 2nd core not even budging, I'm going to assume that Speedfan is just flat wrong.

Hope they come out with a new version of Coretemp or TAT. I prefer knowing my temps before tickling the FSB and Vcore.

I'd just double check to see if your HSF is seated properly and re-apply new thermal paste. If that doesn't change anything, than I'd say your fine and that the program is probably not reading correctly or something like that.

Possible reasons as to why one core got hot and not the other is if the stress tester only loaded one core. Check that out to be sure its loading both cores by using task manager.

Actually even with a higher temp the new 45nm parts will leave you some leaway as they will be able to OC higher using lower voltages thus giving you cooler temps at the same speed as the old 65nm parts.

I really want a noce Q9450 but am tempted to just wait until Nehalem comes out at 32nm instead to see the potential of those babys.

Smoked Turkey

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2007
Yeah, Reapply the thermal grease and heatsinc.

Also try a program called Core Temp and see if it is different.
I see my E8400 with about 2-5c difference between the cores.

gpippas

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
My skt939 4800X2 at idle has the core temps differing between 10-15c whether C&Q is on or not. But when I load them the temps are the same. Its always been like that. At first it annoyed me but then I stopped caring. I wouldn't worry about. If you overclock and it gets too hot it will either throttle back or crash so you know it needs to go down a bit.

Ancient_1

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2006
I agree that there may be something wrong with the readings from the 8400's. I have seen many people complain about drastically different readings from each core. On mine they are withing 2~3 degrees at load but always read 42 for both at idle, never been 41 or 43 but always 42 (these readings are from coretemp and hwmonitor). Not the same thing you are seeing but strange also.

Also there is a big difference from what the motherboard reads (smart guardian) and coretemp.

Prime.JPG

bardia

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2007
Interesting. Reading 42 at idle is indeed odd. My E6400 fluctuated naturally based on ambient temperature, load, etc. I'd say it's pretty safe to say nothing is reading the temps on an E8400 correctly yet.

I don't think I'll be overclocking for a bit anyway. I overclocked my E6400 from 266 to 300, but I was playing Vanguard and Bioshock. These days I'm too busy and generally poor for "real" gaming and have stuck with DoTA. Given my E8400 is ungloriously paired with a 7900GS I'd say 3.0ghz of pure Core 2 awesomeness is most definitely not my bottleneck ;)

Jaywill

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
There's been a ton of reports of people getting weird temperature readings with the new E8x00 chips. Some people are reporting that their temps on both cores stay fixed at certain values, and only change once the actual chip temps go above those fixed values. In other words, if the core temps are below those values, they aren't being reported accurately.

Speculation is all over the place regarding the cause. Some people say it's probably a Bios issue. Some say it's an issue with the monitoring programs like Coretemp (although the author of the software says it's working correctly), and other people are saying it's an issue with the chips.

From what I've read, it's looking more and more like it's an issue with the temperature sensors in these new chips.

madr68

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
Hey guys I got a e8400 but my tems say core 0= 42 core 1 =20 at idle should i return it? this can't be normal.