Sign in with
Your question

Looking for a good cooler for my 8800GTS

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 22, 2008 6:40:12 PM

the exact card i have is...

EVGA 640-P2-N828-A3 GeForce 8800GTS KO 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E1681...

On idle the card is around 54c +1-1

From what I've read its not bad but I'd like it to be cooler because i do plan to o/c it.

So, does anyone know of any good coolers for this card?

More about : good cooler 8800gts

January 22, 2008 7:02:02 PM

Not sure on a release date, but the Accelero Xtreme from Arctic Coolong looks like one hell of a cooler.
January 22, 2008 7:06:52 PM

Meh, Ac just killed what Accelero used to be all about - blowing hot air out of your case, not around it.
I have an EVGA 320 mb 8800GTS which idles at about the same temperatures, except that my place is really warm (it used to be 60-62).

The stock cooling solution on the GTS is fine, except for a minor flaw - the shroud is not whole and there are openings in it which allow some hot air back into the case. The side panel of my tt armor used to get real hot (as well as everything else). What you need to do is add a simple 2-3 dollar blower fan (which is supposed to be installed directly under the card), for taking care of that air coming out of the holes in the shroud and yet again - blowing it OUT of your case.
Related resources
January 22, 2008 7:09:22 PM

oh and BTW - even when abused with the Fuzzy Cube, the card's core never got above 70 C. 65nm die size means tighter temperature range. The era of the Radeons throttling at 110c is over.
January 22, 2008 7:28:12 PM

You could look at Zalman's VF1000 VGA HSF. It is designed for the 8800 series.
a b Î Nvidia
January 22, 2008 8:05:43 PM

It looks like the cooler is the one from the 8800GTS/GTX. The 8800GTS/GTX are great cards, but they will be the biggest heat generators in your computer.
It is good that the stock cooler expels most of the heat out back through the extra slot. The stock coolers are quiet too.
OEM replacement coolers are good at extracting heat from the GPU chips, but without rear exhausts they don't help the whole system because the recirculated hot air puts added load on the cpu and case coolers.
The 8800 has four slits which let hot air back into the system which increases the case heat, and ultimately puts extra load on the cpu cooler.
I have found it very effective to add a slot cooler like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Mount it just below the 8800. It has a speed knob so you can adjust the cooling vs. noise equation.
This will help both vga and cpu temperatures.
January 22, 2008 8:12:56 PM

You could also us this one I have it on my xfx 8800 gts 640:thermalright hr-03 plus, also use 92 mm fan.I have the antec 92mm three speed fan.works great.it has clamps to hold fan on it

January 22, 2008 9:16:25 PM

If your going to put money at this water cooling is the way to go with with a stock card not a factory OC. Air coolers are just not going to give that much headroom. Really doesn't give you enough of boost to make much of a difference in taxing games even with water cooling. Good for the benchies though.
January 23, 2008 1:13:09 AM

idk if i wana go for water cooling...

i think i might do what geofelt said, put a pci slot fan to suck the hot air right out of the case

makes sense since those 3 slots of hot air let it back in the case
January 23, 2008 1:43:55 AM

Been there done that doesn't help at least not the card. I made a simple ducting solution that improved case temp but made only like a 2C difference for the card. Which isn't going to do much for more OC'ing

Just trying to keep you from wasting your money.
January 23, 2008 1:59:04 AM

If you would like to go for a silent solution, I wouldn't choose the Thermaltake solution. I'm repeting what I already said on other threads, but I already owned a couple of thermaltake solutions and all but the Big Typhoon and Extreme Spirit II were disapointing with their noise level. But I also did owned some Zalman and Antec products and I never been disapointed at all, they always had great cooling and great silence capacity.

If you want silent solutions, you should go either for the Artic-Cooling Accelero S1 rev 2, with the Turbo fan kit, or with the Thermalright HR-03 with a 92 or 120 mm fan on it (Antec's or Zalman's one, for a silent solution) or the VF1000 from Zalman, but this last one will not be as effective as the 2 others.

See:

http://www.abchw.com/content/vga-high-end-cooler-roundu...
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTQyMywx...
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article798-page1.html
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article793-page1.html

January 23, 2008 2:25:50 PM

Hey man... I'm on the same place as you are right now, except I have a 320MB GTS instead. I'm going to be ordering this today:

ZEROtherm Hurricane HC92 Cu 8800 UFO VGA Cooler - Retail

From a few reviews I saw, this thing on performance mode rivals the HR-03 pretty well, is a few bucks cheaper, and actually AVAILABLE on most etailers. That plus having such a complete installation kit led me to my decision as a first time GPU modder, the HSF also seems to be compatible with a lot of other GPUs, so hopefully I can set it on my next GPU.
January 23, 2008 2:28:34 PM

I'm also looking for a cooler for my 8800GT (which is now broken XP)

From what Ive seen.....the best is the Thermalright HR-03 GT with a good 92mm fan is the best
January 23, 2008 2:36:16 PM

Yeah he needs an HR-03 Plus for his card, and that's nowhere to be found. I tried ALL the reputable etailers I could think of, and I'm not about to buy it on a website that looks like a kid made. However there's availability for yours, I think I saw some on a few websites.
January 23, 2008 2:38:24 PM

emp said:
Hey man... I'm on the same place as you are right now, except I have a 320MB GTS instead. I'm going to be ordering this today:

ZEROtherm Hurricane HC92 Cu 8800 UFO VGA Cooler - Retail

From a few reviews I saw, this thing on performance mode rivals the HR-03 pretty well, is a few bucks cheaper, and actually AVAILABLE on most etailers. That plus having such a complete installation kit led me to my decision as a first time GPU modder, the HSF also seems to be compatible with a lot of other GPUs, so hopefully I can set it on my next GPU.

update me on how it works when you get it :D 
January 23, 2008 2:41:29 PM

emp said:
Yeah he needs an HR-03 Plus for his card, and that's nowhere to be found. I tried ALL the reputable etailers I could think of, and I'm not about to buy it on a website that looks like a kid made. However there's availability for yours, I think I saw some on a few websites.

Im ordering from Jabtech. Getting a TR120 eXtreme and and HR-03 GT, but atm i think my card is busted :( 
January 23, 2008 2:44:45 PM

Alright... Still thinking on my shipping options, cause I want it now XD
January 23, 2008 2:46:58 PM

Silverion77 said:
Im ordering from Jabtech. Getting a TR120 eXtreme and and HR-03 GT, but atm i think my card is busted :( 

ouch...
January 23, 2008 3:14:08 PM

Never EVER buy ThermalTake water cooling products. They are poor performers and have copper and aluminum together in their loop. It WILL corrode. There are MUCH better watercooling rigs built, for example, the setup I just bought, have to wait for it to ship.

Good watercooling ain't cheap. There are wonderful air cooled products out there for MUCH less money, Thermalright has the best on the market now, hands down. Please, don't go water unless you do it right.....

Water cooling parts
Rad: PA 120.3 $135 JAB
Rad fittings: EK High Flow (G3/8 thread, ½” OD) $6 Pet
Rad Shroud: PA 120.3 shroud $19 JAB
Rad Gasket: $6
Pump: Laing D5 MCP655 vario DD ver. $83 Pet
Res: EK-Multioption RES 100 rev.2 $34 JAB
EK Anti Cyclone: $2.50 JAB
Tubing: Tygon Silver 1/2x3/4 15’ $56 USP
Tubing coils: Swiftech Smartcoils 625(2) $6 Pet
T fitting for drain: Delrin T $8 Pet
Drain port: Delrin Fillport $12 JAB
Clamps: Stainless worm drive w/liner (15) $19 Pet
Biocide: PT-Nuke $3 Pet
DTek FuZion CPU $62 Pet
D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit $7 Pet
Dtek FuZion Intel 775 Pro-Mount set $12 Jab
IONE for NVIDIA G92 GT and GTS $116 DD
NB block: Swiftech MCW30 Chipset block $28 Jab
January 23, 2008 5:19:01 PM

emp said:

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_p...
January 23, 2008 8:02:29 PM

some sites say HR-03 plus will work for my card and some say it wont work
January 23, 2008 8:07:13 PM

I dunno, the slot fan surely worked for me, showing a difference of 5 c. give it a shot, since its the cheapest and see how it goes from there.
January 23, 2008 8:12:20 PM

yep i'm about 99% sure i want the HR-03 plus; i just found out it works on my card :D 
January 24, 2008 12:57:36 AM

Taken off the Thermalright site

Compatibility

* Compatible with Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX& 8800GTS(G80) &8800 Ultra video cards..
* NOTE:In order for HR-03 PLUS to run effectively, it is strongly recommended that a 92mm fan is installed.
January 24, 2008 1:36:23 AM

i was looking for more of a 10c+ temp difference so i think im just gona have to go with the HR-03 PLUS

the only problem is that im gonna have to hope it fits in my case :/ 
January 24, 2008 1:55:48 AM

what case

I FIXED MY GRAPHICS CARD!!!!!!!
January 24, 2008 2:03:36 AM

It will fit.....I already measured for mine. (might block the side fan but Im not sure)
January 24, 2008 2:05:09 AM

ahh nice you have the same one :D 

and yea i have a side fan... :/  i'll probably just move it to one of the hard drive bays...
January 24, 2008 2:15:29 AM

Im not positive if it gets in the way......tell me what happens if you get yours before me
January 24, 2008 2:17:32 AM

I probably wont order it till next Monday, but if you still don't have yours I'll pm you about it.
January 24, 2008 2:19:19 AM

Thanks.....I wont order mine for a while (next weekend maybe)
January 24, 2008 3:06:58 AM

Conumdrum said:
Never EVER buy ThermalTake water cooling products. They are poor performers and have copper and aluminum together in their loop. It WILL corrode. There are MUCH better watercooling rigs built, for example, the setup I just bought, have to wait for it to ship.

Good watercooling ain't cheap. There are wonderful air cooled products out there for MUCH less money, Thermalright has the best on the market now, hands down. Please, don't go water unless you do it right.....

The thermaltake symphony series is pretty nice and simple. I have custom setup that consist of some the best parts on the market. The symphony is 5c higher at load on the GPU and CPU on my second system which cost about a 1/3. So you might want ease up on the whole sale Thermaltake bashing. Mixing metals just means you need more additives and many people use pre-mix so that isn't an issue. Just for full disclosure the custom is currently running PC ICE which raised my temp about 4c. Next flush will be returning to distilled water plus additives.

Both setups will yield max OC on my GTX cards with ntune. The performance difference (stock vs max OC) isn't all that great using ntune. At some point I might use riva tune to tweak the shader clock.

The custom setup.
Black Ice® GTX Gen Two Xtreme 480
Swiftech APOGEE GTX
Swiftech MCP655
Danger Den 8800GTX Single Block (very high flow)
1/2 tubes
XSPC 150 Passive Aluminium Reservoir (only good for looks)
Asus Bliz Formula waterblock (very restrictive) single loop was still more effective than using an F-style bipass loop.

Sorry for the hijack

January 24, 2008 12:12:29 PM

All of that about the HR-03 and you go with a PCI fan

:/ 
January 24, 2008 2:28:59 PM

i want the HR-03 but im low on cash :/ 

school + gf + random weekend jobs = broke

when i get some cash thats the first thing im getting tho :D 

by the time that fan is in stock i'll probably have the money to get the HR-03...
a b Î Nvidia
February 4, 2008 1:44:47 AM

I used the following slot fan. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It's cheap, in stock, and worth the experiment.
I don't know about the quality, but what I liked was the little speed control knob which can select your optimum fan speed vs noise. I kept it near inaudible.

Do let us know how you do in a follow up.
!