Keyboard shortcut for screensaver

July 25, 2005 7:25:03 PM

How do I create a keyboard shortcut to activate my screensaver?
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:46:18 PM

You can't. If you just want to look at the pretty pictures just create a shortcut to the screensaver and set a hotkey for the shortcut (see help on how to set hotkeys). But this is the screensaver acting as a normal program (that draws pretty things) not as a screensaver.

Winkey + L is the security hotkey.

"Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6EDF985-7701-465F-94CC-44DB0B6B1DA8@microsoft.com...
> How do I create a keyboard shortcut to activate my screensaver?
Anonymous
July 26, 2005 12:46:19 PM

But how do I set a hotkey for the shortcut to the screensaver. I just want a
shortcut to hide my screen if someone walks in that I don't want seeing
what's on my screen. I can't find the program to even set a hotkey for.....

"David Candy" wrote:

> You can't. If you just want to look at the pretty pictures just create a shortcut to the screensaver and set a hotkey for the shortcut (see help on how to set hotkeys). But this is the screensaver acting as a normal program (that draws pretty things) not as a screensaver.
>
> Winkey + L is the security hotkey.

> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> "Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6EDF985-7701-465F-94CC-44DB0B6B1DA8@microsoft.com...
> > How do I create a keyboard shortcut to activate my screensaver?

July 26, 2005 12:46:20 PM

I guess the better question is.....how do I create a shortcut to my
screensaver???

"Susan S" wrote:

> But how do I set a hotkey for the shortcut to the screensaver. I just want a
> shortcut to hide my screen if someone walks in that I don't want seeing
> what's on my screen. I can't find the program to even set a hotkey for.....
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
> > You can't. If you just want to look at the pretty pictures just create a shortcut to the screensaver and set a hotkey for the shortcut (see help on how to set hotkeys). But this is the screensaver acting as a normal program (that draws pretty things) not as a screensaver.
> >
> > Winkey + L is the security hotkey.
> >
> > --
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
> > "Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F6EDF985-7701-465F-94CC-44DB0B6B1DA8@microsoft.com...
> > > How do I create a keyboard shortcut to activate my screensaver?

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 2:59:57 PM

right click the short cut, properties, then set the hot-key in there.

> But how do I set a hotkey for the shortcut to the screensaver. I just
> want a
> shortcut to hide my screen if someone walks in that I don't want seeing
> what's on my screen. I can't find the program to even set a hotkey
> for.....
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> You can't. If you just want to look at the pretty pictures just create a
>> shortcut to the screensaver and set a hotkey for the shortcut (see help
>> on how to set hotkeys). But this is the screensaver acting as a normal
>> program (that draws pretty things) not as a screensaver.
>>
>> Winkey + L is the security hotkey.
>>
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> "Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > How do I create a keyboard shortcut to activate my screensaver?

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 3:23:00 PM

Help will tell you how to set a hotkey. Basically right click a shortcut, choose Properties and look. The think to note is it MUST be on the desktop or start menu for a hotkey to work.

Screensavers are in C:\windows\system32 with the extension of scr and description of Screen Saver (and for most of them their name's start with SS). Select one, Edit menu - Copy then go to the desktop and right click a blank spot and choose Paste Shortcut.

Winkey + L is the way provided for this purpose (hiding the screen) but it doesn't show pretty pictures (well it does after 10 minutes). The downside of starting a screensaver this way is it won't ask for a password and other programs can interfere with it. Normally windows starts a second desktop and shows the screensaver there so nothing on your desktop can interfere with it (like an error dialog).

Also any program can be made a screensaver. I was using notepad the other day in an experiment. It's not very good.
"Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BC5B8C7B-6731-428E-9FC7-82FA5750AB98@microsoft.com...
>I guess the better question is.....how do I create a shortcut to my
> screensaver???
>
> "Susan S" wrote:
>
>> But how do I set a hotkey for the shortcut to the screensaver. I just want a
>> shortcut to hide my screen if someone walks in that I don't want seeing
>> what's on my screen. I can't find the program to even set a hotkey for.....
>>
>> "David Candy" wrote:
>>
>> > You can't. If you just want to look at the pretty pictures just create a shortcut to the screensaver and set a hotkey for the shortcut (see help on how to set hotkeys). But this is the screensaver acting as a normal program (that draws pretty things) not as a screensaver.
>> >
>> > Winkey + L is the security hotkey.
>> >
>> > --
>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> > =================================================

Anonymous
July 26, 2005 11:12:31 PM

Locking your worksation does hide the desktop.

windowskey + L

If you are ambitious:
http://blogs.msdn.com/calvin_hsia/archive/2004/10/04/23...

For us lazy people:
http://www.starfishbay.com/handything/basics.shtml

or
http://embedsoft.tripod.com/ABossScreen.html

--
Manny Borges
MCSE NT4-2003 (+ Security)

The pen is mightier than the sword, and considerably easier to write with.
-- Marty Feldman
"Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I guess the better question is.....how do I create a shortcut to my
> screensaver???
>
> "Susan S" wrote:
>
>> But how do I set a hotkey for the shortcut to the screensaver. I just
>> want a
>> shortcut to hide my screen if someone walks in that I don't want seeing
>> what's on my screen. I can't find the program to even set a hotkey
>> for.....
>>
>> "David Candy" wrote:
>>
>> > You can't. If you just want to look at the pretty pictures just create
>> > a shortcut to the screensaver and set a hotkey for the shortcut (see
>> > help on how to set hotkeys). But this is the screensaver acting as a
>> > normal program (that draws pretty things) not as a screensaver.
>> >
>> > Winkey + L is the security hotkey.
>> >
>> > --
>> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>> > http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.htm...
>> > =================================================
>> > "Susan S" <SusanS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

July 28, 2011 1:04:16 AM

It's easy as 1, 2, 3...

Click Start, Search

click All Files and Folders

Click Look in: (drop down arrow)

Click Browse (in the box that opens)

Click My Computer, Local Drive C:, Windows, (scroll down) press System32

Now, Look in: will read System32

click in the All of part of the file name: box and type *.scr
(screen savers have the file extension of .scr, the * means you want every file that ends with .scr.)

The names are a little cryptic, but somewhat legible. The marque is ssmarque, pipes is sspipes...you'll figure it out.

Now, right click on the one you want, let's say it's ssmarque. Click Create shortcut. XP will ask you if you want to create the shortcut on the desktop. Click OK.

Now the fun part (it's easy, don't let some smart ass "guru" tell you it can't be done!)

You'll see your new Shortcut on the desktop. Right click it and then click Properties.

You'll see a box that reads Shortcut key: that reads 'None'. Click in the box...you'll see your cursor flashing next to the word None. Simply hold down the Ctrl key and then press any key you want to use. I use "M" for the marque so my shortcut keys are Ctrl + Alt + M to immediately open the screen saver. Just press Ctrl to go back to whatever you were doing (and hope the boss didn't notice!).

As far as I can tell you have to have the Ctrl + Alt as part of the shortcut keys.

dan50m50@yahoo.com *Write if you have problems with this.
!