August 24, 2011 5:20:00 PM

Hello everyone,

I had assembled a pc with following configuration: -

Intel i5 2400 3.1 GHZ
Intel DH61WW mobo
Corsair 4gb DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram
Galaxy GTS 450 GDDR5 1GB Gpu
Cooler Master 500w PSU

My pc used to hang when playing games tried many things with drivers and software but no result, i replaced my card and got a new one. But still the problem persists. Before the problem was with gaming but now I am not able to log-in at the start-up. I tried the trial and run error by unchecking the services one after another to see which service is making problem. I found that service named 'Desktop Window Manager Session' was the one which was making problem. Once i switch off this service in the safe mod, the computer logs in normally but i am not able to play videos or games. I have formatted the computer again but still the problem doesn't go. Any suggestions how i can solve this issue? I am sure it is not a hardware issue, surely its some problem with compatibility of drivers with windows7. Can anyone suggest what can be the solution for this?
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 5:37:44 PM

Why can't you play games or videos?? What exactly is the issue?
m
l
August 24, 2011 5:51:17 PM

geekapproved said:
Why can't you play games or videos?? What exactly is the issue?

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Earlier while playing sometimes the games used to crash or pc used to get hang. I had updated the nvidia drivers as well rollbacked to the old ones but nothing helped this issue. So i had replaced the card with the new one, but still the problem dint go. I thought the issue was with the graphic card - Galaxy GTS 450 GDDR5 I Gb gpu.The problem become worst as i am not able to log-in at the start up.

I understood that it was not an hardware issue as i was able to log-in and use the desktop with ease in the safe mode. I am sure there is some problem with the compatibility of the nvidia driver and windows7. I have tried the trial and run method, by stopping the services one by one in safe mode and checked which was making the problem. So when i stop the service - 'Desktop Window Manager Service Manager', i was able to log-in with the normal mode. But by stopping this service the pc hangs when i try to play videos or games. I feel the file dwm.exe is corrupt or something, not sure what is the problem. Can you suggest something?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 24, 2011 7:44:06 PM

There are no nvidia driver compatability issues with Windows 7.

I have never heard of a problem, hardware or software, where someone could not log in on windows startup. Makes no sense. Why not remove the login altogether?

If I were you I would boot to the Windows 7 disk and choose the repair option.

What do you mean by "games hang". They won't load? They are slow? They are laggy?
m
l
August 24, 2011 9:01:02 PM

geekapproved said:
There are no nvidia driver compatability issues with Windows 7.

I have never heard of a problem, hardware or software, where someone could not log in on windows startup. Makes no sense. Why not remove the login altogether?

If I were you I would boot to the Windows 7 disk and choose the repair option.

What do you mean by "games hang". They won't load? They are slow? They are laggy?

what it means while logging is... during the start up... the pc gets hanged... even if i remove login... the pc will still hang at the welcome screen... click or even if i press any key there is no response...

and i have tried repairs with windows... useless... doesn't do anything... dont even detect the problem for solving it....

games hang means... pc gets stuck... click or pressing any key dont give any response... so i have to break the circuit to restart the pc... sometimes the screen also goes completely blank... and the game crashes... the game issue happened before i replaced the card, after replacement the windows is getting stuck at the start-up...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 2:27:32 PM

Sounds like a bad power supply, corrupted windows install or corrupted hdd.

Have you tested your hdd for errors?
m
l
August 25, 2011 2:43:54 PM

Change the RAM to 1333 sticks, the mix between the chip set you got and the 1600 RAM are a bad combo, if you can get a 1333 stick go and make the test, I've been there with the same problem.

Alex

asimov said:
Hello everyone,

I had assembled a pc with following configuration: -

Intel i5 2400 3.1 GHZ
Intel DH61WW mobo
Corsair 4gb DDR3 1600 Mhz Ram
Galaxy GTS 450 GDDR5 1GB Gpu
Cooler Master 500w PSU

My pc used to hang when playing games tried many things with drivers and software but no result, i replaced my card and got a new one. But still the problem persists. Before the problem was with gaming but now I am not able to log-in at the start-up. I tried the trial and run error by unchecking the services one after another to see which service is making problem. I found that service named 'Desktop Window Manager Session' was the one which was making problem. Once i switch off this service in the safe mod, the computer logs in normally but i am not able to play videos or games. I have formatted the computer again but still the problem doesn't go. Any suggestions how i can solve this issue? I am sure it is not a hardware issue, surely its some problem with compatibility of drivers with windows7. Can anyone suggest what can be the solution for this?

m
l
August 25, 2011 5:05:18 PM

geekapproved said:
Sounds like a bad power supply, corrupted windows install or corrupted hdd.

Have you tested your hdd for errors?

I have done a windows chkdsk in safe mode.... and it dint show any error... is there any other way to do a good hard disk test?
m
l
August 25, 2011 5:08:50 PM

Madlogger said:
Change the RAM to 1333 sticks, the mix between the chip set you got and the 1600 RAM are a bad combo, if you can get a 1333 stick go and make the test, I've been there with the same problem.

Alex

I tried it with a 1333 mhz transcend ram... it doesn't help... i am planning to format windows again and see if it can help...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 25, 2011 5:42:59 PM

asimov said:
I tried it with a 1333 mhz transcend ram... it doesn't help... i am planning to format windows again and see if it can help...

Yeah that doesn't make sense anyways since you can run 1600mhz ram at 1333mhz if you want to.

You can use a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of your hdd. Like seagate tools or western digital data lifeguard.
m
l
August 25, 2011 6:21:14 PM

geekapproved said:
Yeah that doesn't make sense anyways since you can run 1600mhz ram at 1333mhz if you want to.

You can use a diagnostic tool from the manufacturer of your hdd. Like seagate tools or western digital data lifeguard.

It does make sense when you think that running a native 1600 RAM in 1333 will change the default timing to a non standard 1333 timing, using a native 1333 RAM will make the BIOS to set the timings to a standard profile.

Back to the problem, did you install all the drivers on the mobo DVD or download then from Intel's site, i would recommend to download newest available drivers and install then before formatting, just give it a try.
m
l
August 25, 2011 6:27:05 PM

Madlogger said:
It does make sense when you think that running a native 1600 RAM in 1333 will change the default timing to a non standard 1333 timing, using a native 1333 RAM will make the BIOS to set the timings to a standard profile.

Back to the problem, did you install all the drivers on the mobo DVD or download then from Intel's site, i would recommend to download newest available drivers and install then before formatting, just give it a try.

yes... i have installed the recent drivers of my mobo... but still that dint help... therefore planning to format and try... i had formatted the pc 3 days back also but it still dint help... maybe i hadn't done a clean format... so will try formatting again and see if that helps...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 26, 2011 1:24:02 PM

Madlogger said:

Anybody can run 1600mhz/9-9-9-24 ram at 1333/8-8-8-20 and it will work just as if you had a stick of 1333/8-8-8-20 in there. That's why it's pointless for you to suggest he try and actual stick of 1333mhz ram.
m
l
!