Is new power supplys better than old ones?

dumbletore

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Hi

As i want to buy a new system, then I am curious if I should buy a replacement PSU.
The old one, is approx 4 years, but was efficient.
I am using integrated graphics, so 350W will be efficient, and so is the old one.
I only care for power efficiency, and low noise lewels.

So, in this respect, is the new efficient PSUs more efficient than old ones?

Kind regard
Dumble

tlmck

Distinguished
The "good" older ones are in the 65-70% efficiency range. The newer "good" ones are at 80% or better. If you stick with integrated graphics, the the old PSU should work fine.

Efficiency generally comes more into play if you leave the system on all the time. It also takes better quality components to achieve this higher efficiency. Older PSUs only have a 20 pin power connector. This will work fine in newer MBs with 24 pin.

Keep in mind also, that older PSU's tend to lose efficiency as they age.
If you opt for a new one, the Antec Earthwatts 380 would be a good choice. 80% efficient and at great prices.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Of course newer models are better and inreal terms are 1 of the most important pc components.

Stable supply, dual rails, sata and pcie supplies, spike protection, power hold time, filtering of power, etc.

A excellent cheap PSU is a Antec BasiQ - 500w dual rails, check out there website.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

That is a very good PSU and should serve you well.

tlmck

Distinguished
Actually the newer Earthwatts are new with a 3 year warranty, and are made by Seasonic. The original Earthwatts were crap to use a kind word. A good number were DOA, causing the shift to Seasonic as supplier.

At any rate the Seasonic S12s are slightly better in quality, and a bit quieter as well.