Help with overclocking my GPU

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Hi peoples, need some help with overclocking my new rig. Im a newbie to ocing and have been interested in doing a 'safe' overclock to try and boost my overall fps.

motherboard: gigabyte EP45-DS3
RAM: DDR2 2x 2gb 800mhz
CPU: intel core 2 duo e8400
GPU: Galaxy 8800gt 512mb

Display Drivers: version 6.14.0011.7519

GPU clock speeds:
core 600mhz
shader 1500mhz
memory 1000mhz

I have been following the post [3D Chips] Guide to Overclocking Video Cards (56K WARNING)
but have hit a wall....
When i go to test for artifacts after increasing the core and shader clocks by 15mhz, then computer freezes, displays a blue screen and starts dumping physical memory it says there was a error with nv4_disp.dll

Could anyone help me resolve this issue?
I am really keen on trying to get my gpu clocks increased by 50Mhz, or more if i can keep it stable.
But atm it cant even keep stable at an increase of 15Mhz..... :(

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Well first you should check your GPU temp. You can do this through a program such as RivaTuner. If the chip is hitting temps around 70C or higher then that could be causing the instability. If this is the case, you can try increasing the fan speed on your video card to 100%, which can also be done through RivaTuner(Customize under target adapter; Low-Level System Settings).

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
OC-ing your GPU won't really increase your FPS by much. the thing that increases FPS when you have a good vid. card is a high clocked CPU. in your case, the E8400 should do wonders for your FPS, i would rather focus on that then OCing the vid. card.

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007

Not if the video card is the bottleneck...Take Crysis for example, you don't need the fastest CPU to run that game smoothly, however you do need the fastest video card(s) to get decent frame rates at higher resolutions. So overclocking a CPU that's already adequately fast won't effect performance, but overclocking the video card probably will. And that's not to say he shouldn't overclock his CPU as well, I'm just saying it's often worth while to overclock the video card too.

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
This my help guys i have crysis btw..

My system settings :

1024x768

No AA

Ultra High Settings (custom settings)

my benchmark average fps = 28.67

~~~~~~

Also my 3Dmark06 score is 11657 (default settings)

~~~~~~

Oh and btw my gpu temp is fine its under 60*c all the time even under load.

So how do i fix this problem with ocing my gpu?

Well, this in NOT exactly true, or the best way to improve video performance. Maybe benchmark performance, but not real world gaming experience. All you need is a half decent CPU at half decent speeds, and from there it IS all about the GPU. The 8800GT was a great card, but it's starting to show it's age and I would consider it as a bottom of the line for any gamer's use, in a single card solution anyway.

The Galaxy cards....single slot I believe, and if I was going to overclocking my GPU, I am not sure buying a Galaxy card would have been my first choice.

Anyway, 8800GT single slot cards, they are known to run hot, and really don't overclock that well. The double slot cards and the G92 cards especially will overclock very, very well. (+100mhz quite easily)

You'll have to improve the cooling most likely. You are going about the overclock in the correct manner. Keep the core and shader clocks locked together, and don't mess with the memory speed.

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Ok guys, i have oc'd my gpu to 675/1650/1000 and continuing..

I think this card is double slot because i checked it out and it seems to have to slots connected to the motherboard.

Oh and btw, some of the reports for the oc'd graphics cards are that their memory sits on 1800mHz. Is this true because mines only on 1000mHz and been looking around on the web and ppl are quoting their memory as around 1000 or below

What gives? or am i getting my shader mixed up with memory? It goes "core/shader/mem" right?

Oh and yes i have increased gpu fan to 100% constant, and i was lucky enough to get a large Zalman heatsink on my card :p. there are 3 different fans you are supposed to get and i think i got the best one.

26783_1.jpg

Slyther

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Also i had do ask, is it safer to have the oc'd profile on always, or have a launcher to activate it when i want to? and why?
Will having a launcher button (for example 600/1500/1000 jumping straight upto 675/1650/1000) stuff up my card or pc?

jumpman

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2007
Well first, the stock memory frequency for the 8800GT is 1800mhz DDR(900mhz SDR). So if yours is being reported as 1000Mhz(2000Mhz DDR), perhaps it was overclocked at the factory. I think you may have also been mixing up SDR and DDR speeds, so when you say your memory only shows up as 1000Mhz, it's actually running at 2000Mhz due to DDR's Double Data Rate.
And as far as leaving the OC on all the time; I personally only turn on the OC when i play games that require it, and I do this mainly to extend the life of the card(though I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference it makes). Also, about having a launcher button do this, I'm not sure how that would work exactly. I just use RivaTuner to enable the OC, but for me that's not an inconvenience because I also use RivaTuner to monitor my GPU temp and Video RAM usuage.

That is a single slot card, the 2 slots cards actually use up the space of 2 slots on the back of your rig. Although it only plugs into 1 slot, it is physically 2 slots wide. This is so hot air from the fan can be exhausted out the back of the case. Far better cooling can be achieved in this manner. An example....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130359

TRENDING THREADS