progress lover

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Hi. I've read this site for years. How/why I didn't join the forums until now, I have no idea.
Hope this enquiry is ok for a first post on the world's finest reviews site.

I'm about to do another build. Researching components...

Saw an article from last year in Tom's news saying Tom's was about to start doing monthly RAM performance/value reports akin to their excellent monthly GPU roundup. Can't find these RAM articles on the site although it was mentioned months ago.

Can anyone direct me to them? Or does anyone know when it's likely to start? Or has that idea been scrapped?

Hoping to OC new machine (whichever processor) to about 3.8 on air.
Any tips of best performance/value for either of the above processors would also be much appreciated. Have used Geil in the past with good results. Also considering Crucial. Will go with DDR2 for cost reasons as I want 8gig in there.

Thanks in advance for any info.

P.S. The research so far tells me to wait a month or two for next steppings of either E8400 or Q9450 before building. Also expecting a greater choice of X38Mobos with lower prices. These RAM articles would be more good info whilst the early adopters to iron out the bugs...

jeremyrailton

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
maybe since they've discovered how little a difference it makes in systems today. Core 2 processors don't seem to benefit too much from having cutting edge memory, especially considering the steep price premium you have to pay to get it. I have Patriot DDR2 800 that overclocks to 1000, and it can be picked up cheap. Sure, you can spend lots more to get really expensive DDR3, but in the end, that extra money will be much better spend on either a CPU or VGA upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS