for the experience AMD over clocker

zigzagfreeburning

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I Have a Giga-Byte 790fx DQ 6 , I tried to over clock it . I can get 2.8 ghz out of the 9850 with out uping the voltage. It blieve or not is very stable at 2.8 .I up it to 2.9 it ran prime and cpu burin in with out a hitch but when I start playing games ,mostly COD4 I get random freezes. So I up the voltage to 1.36 and now Stable. So I up it to 3 ghz it loaded windows at 1.36 ran prime for 5 minutes and look very pomising so i up the voltage 1.5 it runs prime (multie core) and cpu burnin without a hitch both at the same time in fact ,but COD4 if given me the same problems .
I know the 1.5 vol is high but my temps are low at 47c and it doesn't go any higher then that. Would it be kinda safe to go a little higher to see if becomes more stable or should I stop.
I am running a Thermalright Ultimate 120 Modded for 2 120 fans and I would recomend it in fact thermalright should come out way to put 2 fans on it because with the cooling fan reviews Tomshardware did my temps were lower me at 2.8 and I think they do stock I am close to a few water coolers.
For the second fan I put on top with thin strips of velcro on each side I tested it and I can shake fan with heat sink and it stays ,I now love velcro.
I got it in a antec 900 case ,I run all the fans on max all the time if you got 2000 rpms why not use them is my thinking.
So back to it .is 2.9 the safest for me ,because by the looks of it and how it behaves overclocked I think 9850 has some thing there to keep you from going over or hitting the 3 ghz mark because when you get 34c nonload temps and 47c max loads there should be more room.
I tried the chipset voltage i believe it is NIB voltage not sure but I brang it up to match core and it did nothing to improve anything I not sure if it did anything but cause more heat.
Well I just hoping someone has a dq6 out there that knows the magic #'s for this cpu ,don't party with out me.

antec 900 case Fans - 2 120 front intake 1 side 120 intake 1 top bigboy 200 outbound and a 120 at rear outbound .
DQ6 amd 790fx giga byte board with the AMD 9850 BE thermalright ultimate 120 with 2 120 fans(You do need to cut a conner of the fan on the side to allow a fan at bottom of heat sink for the antec 900 case)
2 Asus 3870 top G Stock speed (Hard to over clock these boards to)
to me hard drives don't matter you can't over clock them

Yes I am a speed freak but a safe one

hesskia

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008
I have the 900 as well, your fan on the back should not be an outtake, but an intake that will blow cooler 'room air' ontop of your CPU cooler (which blows air ontop of the heat sink--if you have an outtake fan on the back, your cpu cooler will blow air from the case ontop of your sink).

zigzagfreeburning

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2007
I have mine a little diffrent my side fan is in take and blows air on cards and cpu i found heat from the antec 1000watt raises up the back side and the fan on the back takes care of that

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
I would not raise the voltage any higher.
The Voltage can harm your CPU, not just the heat.

1.5v is along the maximum line.
It's unlikely you will be able to seriously notice an extra 100Mhz or so of an OC.

It's nice for peopel worried about benches, but not a big deal for real world performance.