CasTell

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
Hey guys.

Im fairly new to overclocking but ive read alot about it and i understand the terms and how things work. Ive now started to overclock my own computer. When i bought it two years ago i intented to overclock it the day i though it would be needed and the day has come.

To share with you my goals : to reach 3.6 ghz stable and running my CPU and RAM 1:1, som 400 FSB and ram at 400. but im just gonna take it slowly :D no need to rush.

My PC Specs :

ASUS P5w DH deluxe running 2.7 bios (currently newest)
E6600 2.4 Ghz
Corsair XMS2 PC-6400 twim matched 2*1 GB 5-5-5-18 800 mhz
ATI radeon X1900XTX
Zalman 9500 LED
Chill innovation 500W PSU.

so i managed to overclock to 3.0 and i believe im fairly stable there.

BIOS settings :

333 FSB
667 mhz ram (1:1)
1.4v vCore
Ram at 1.9 (specced)
MHC lowest possible 1.50
ICH lowest possible 1.05
vFSB lowest possible 1.20

so i think that my vCore is pretty high from what i have read from other people with the same board. Ive tried to lower it but it simply wont run prime95 over more than 30 mins to 2 hours.

my idle tems are 27, load under prime95 is 42 (tcase)
idle 40 , load under prime95 is high 50's (57-60) (tjunktion)

som firstly my questions is, why does my vCore have to be so high compared to others? is that the difference on the chip. Possibly a dud? though it doesnt get ultra hot i guess :D

my other question is why is the tcase and tjunktion som much differnt? i read in the tempeture guide that the delta (difference) normally is around 5c. mine is more like 15-20 :O!!

anyways. Im running prime95 overnight tonight and making sure that this is totally stable.

My overclocking plan (lol) is to run 3.0 ghz stable for some time (say some days) and the oc to 3.2, then 3.4 and finally 3.6 (if i can hehe) so my last question will be, the next step is just to raise the fsb til it wont run more on the current vCore, and then raise the vCore? :D thats how i understood it from all the guides i read.

The reason my vCore is 1.4 is that i followed wuzy's guide (http://www.***.com/forums/intel-overclocking/148-core-2-duo-overclocking-guide.html) and it tells you to put it at 1.4v and then put it down from there, but i just cant get it down more without loosing stability.

anything would really be helpfull. Its not much of problems i have, but more questions if my system is running normally.

The only problem ive had at this speed so far is that i played a game for an hour i so and then i crashed. Is that because of need of vCore?

apreiciate any help , even if you dont have the same board. :D

Daniel Clark

CasTell

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
So heres a little update.

i ran prime95 overnight. seems after 1 hour and 56 mins one of the cores failed. the other core ran for 9 hours without errors.

after reading serveral overclocking guides this means that i need to crank up the vCore right? but its already pretty high? i dont have any problem cranking it up since the CPU isnt that hot, im just asking if its the right thing to do :D

And yesterday i also played several games without crashes ..

could it possibly be fsb and NB vcore that is to low?

would you recommend trying to set all settings on auto and leave vCore at 1.4 and see if that is the problem??

Daniel Clark

CasTell

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
So now i have put all settings on auto exept for vCore (1.4v) and prime95 is 4 hours and running with no errors. But still have alot of unaswered questions above :)

No one on the toms hardware overclocking forum has any clue about overclocking? :O :D:D

CasTell

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
so yeah i tried with all settins on auto exept vCore on 1.3875 and it only ran for 20 mins prime. So seems like 1.4v is the only thing that works. but is that alot for 3.0 still.

stil have unaswered questions :D