Sign in with
Your question

My registry is broken

Last response: in Windows XP
Anonymous
June 17, 2010 9:58:21 PM

Hello, im using xp sp2 and i downloaded ancanced windows care3 and did a deep registry clean, it found 900 more problems than my noraml registry cleaner(tune-up utilities) so i decided do it. after i rebooted i played a game and my computer just froze still. i now have this persisting freezing that generally when i play a game or watch movies(otherwise it seems to be fine but does happen sometimes while even just idle or looking through files). i really think its my registry, is there any1 who can help plz!

More about : registry broken

June 17, 2010 10:12:13 PM

reformat and do a clean install...
m
l
June 17, 2010 10:32:59 PM

Your computer has probably been infected.
The registry cleaner you used was probably fake. There were probably no problems with your registry at all.
There are hundreds of fake cleaners, fixers, anti viruses on the internet. The purpose is to get your money, steal personal information, infect your computer.
If you can, back up all your personal files before the problem gets worse.
Start the computer in safe mode with networking. Hold down F8 while starting the computer.
If you can get into safe mode with networking, save your personal files on CD, DVD, or an online backup service such as Mozy.

Then try to run a system restore. Potentially, you can set the computer back to the time before you loaded the fake registry cleaner. You might as well try it.

Restore does not erase your personal files and is reversible.
click start
click all programs
click accessories
click system tools
click system restore
check the box that says restore my computer to an earlier time, click next
select a bold date on the calendar, a date before the problem started, click next
follow through with the restore directions
restart the computer after it finishes
if the system restore does not work, select an even earlier bold date on the calendar and repeat the procedure
try this with at least four earlier dates before giving up and trying something else

If you are able to get safe mode with networking, aford recommends you download and install malware bytes. After installing, run the scan of the entire computer. Hopefully that will get rid of the infection.

Now let's suppose that all of the above has failed. You can take the drive out of your computer, install it in a working XP computer as a second drive, drag your personal files off the damaged drive into the working drive, make a back up of your files.

After you have recovered and backed up your personal files, you will need an XP installation disk.
Use the disk to do a repair install, without reformatting the drive.
If that also fails, use the disk to reformat the drive, and do a clean new install. Then re-load your personal files from your backup.
m
l
Related resources
June 17, 2010 10:44:25 PM

lol dam sound so much work when u can just do a clean install :p  and i agree with u on how he hot his virus / corrupted system from.
m
l
June 17, 2010 11:07:03 PM

Quote:
Hello, im using xp sp2 and i downloaded ancanced windows care3 and did a deep registry clean, it found 900 more problems than my noraml registry cleaner(tune-up utilities) so i decided do it. after i rebooted i played a game and my computer just froze still. i now have this persisting freezing that generally when i play a game or watch movies(otherwise it seems to be fine but does happen sometimes while even just idle or looking through files). i really think its my registry, is there any1 who can help plz!

Sorry, I almost forgot
Go to your bank immediately. Change the pin number on your credit card and your debit card.
Better yet, have the bank issue new cards with a different account number and pin number.
Once those people get a hold of your personal information, they could clean out your bank accounts.
Change your passwords on your E mail, or other critical passwords.
Don't wait to do this.
m
l
June 17, 2010 11:16:24 PM

joeyck said:
lol dam sound so much work when u can just do a clean install :p  and i agree with u on how he hot his virus / corrupted system from.

You can do a clean install, but you loose all of your personal files. You need to recover all the files before you install.
m
l
!