Thermal paste corrodes copper heatpipes?

wildben

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I'm getting ready to purchase an OCZ vendetta cooler and see that it comes with a small little bag of thermal paste. I've read on review websites that the normal white thermal paste will corrode the copper heatpipes, and that you have to buy arctic silver, or MX2, or OCZ freeze.

Would OCZ really include a thermal paste with their heatsink that would corrode it?

wildben

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008

Haha, yeah. But this is on major review sites man...

"It's recommended that a carbon and aluminum-oxide based TIM be used with all copper surfaces."
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=3

"When applying thermal interface material to the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 exposed copper heatpipe 120mm CPU cooler, it's very important to understand that most white zinc-oxide (white) thermal paste will cause oxidation to the copper heatpipes upon contact and possible decrease the effectiveness of the material."
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=156&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=2

Theres several other sites that I read this on too, so it's not just this one website.

goonting

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
weird... i applied white thermal paste into my XPC ICE copper portion at the bottom...mo corrosion noticed in 2 years time

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Ok Guys,

Hi to everyone, as this is my first post. I have trolled here for a REALLY long time, and my 2 cents are now here. :hello:

I am a Chemist by trade, so this is a great chance for me to shine. :lol:

Zinc Oxide (ZnO) can corrode a copper heat sink. The primary cause is the Oxygen. What is also needed is Water (Moisture). Now if your computer has moisture in it......something is seriously wrong.

So......to fully answer the question....YES it could corrode it if your computer is saturated. In a normal operating enviornment, it will take so long, it is nothing to worry about. Even if your heatsink is 100.000% pure copper it will still take alot of time.

Fear not my friend. Get your heat sink and use that simple white paste if you want.

If you feel daring....I suggest the AS5.....never failed me before.

Cheers to all,

-PM

particleman

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
Chlorine.......haha

And you cant soak it in a gas. If you mean Clorox, it is only a 3% sodium hypchlorite solution....which is mostly water......which is still bad. :non:

:lol:

-PM

hairycat101

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2007
I wouldnt post it, but there are things you could add to clorox to release the gas.... chlorine would act similarly to oxigen in its ability to "rust" things. I could too soak it in a gas. I could seal it up and fill up the container with the gas.

wildben

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008

Nice answer! Thanks for your input. I figured this is just more hype nonsense that accompanies a lot of PC stuff... but I saw it in like 3 different places so I was starting to wonder.

So what's wrong with water in your PC? I heard that helps it run cooler... :pt1cable:

I'm using OCZ freeze paste anyway so the little packet of white paste will go in the trash, just was confused as to why the manufacturer would package something harmful with their product. Your input is much appreciated.