Sign in with
Your question

Q9450 Overclock X48 Mobo

Last response: in Overclocking
July 20, 2008 10:00:10 PM

I am going to be overclocking my q9450. I have a Gigabyte x48 motherboard and 4gb DDR2 PC2-6400 ram.
I was just wondering approximately what could I overclock my CPU to without having to change the voltages because I have heard that can shorten the life span of your CPU. Also if I must increase the voltages, what would be the stock voltage and how much would I have to increase that voltage if I wanted say a 3.2 ghz overclock. Thanks
July 21, 2008 12:19:54 AM

Without changing the voltages, hehe!

When most people say that, the mean they wanna keep it on Auto, which will do a good job raising the voltage for you!

Anyways, you can OC on just the standard voltages.

Run Core Temp, or Real temp, and look for the VID. VID = Factory starting voltage for your processor. List that here!

Then to opporate on it, you can manually set it in the Bios, and slowly over clock while set to the VID.

You'll only get 400Mhz or so from it on that voltage, maybe less, maybe a lil more. Basically, if you remove intels head room for failure, and get rid of vdrop and droop and instead use the VID value as the loaded vcore value, you should easily get a moderate over clock.

As long as you are careful, watch yer temps, and don't go to berserk on the voltages, it's really rather hard to fry your chip.

If you want more specific help, just ask!

--Lupi
July 21, 2008 12:42:36 AM

Well the problem is I dont actually have the computer yet. Im too big of a noob to put it together myself :(  but the charge was only 20 bucks. I really should learn.... anyways. 400mhz is plenty. Id be happy if I could get that out of my processor without having to adjust the voltages.
Related resources
July 21, 2008 1:14:37 AM

It should be rather simple on the board you have. (Except for the weird GB names they come up with for BIOS stuff!)

besides for that, as long as you have a decent cooler, you should get 3.4-3.6 Ghz from it without damaging the life span much. (It's all relative anyways, because who knows what the life span of a chip is anyways, beyond the 3 years intel NEEDS it to last for their warranty period.)

Guess we will find out when you get it, but maybe you can call and make sure its an after market one? The Xiggy 1283 is excellent for 36 bucks!!

--Lupi
July 21, 2008 3:44:03 AM

well i have the antec 900 and i hear good things about its cooling system, so i think i should be alright in that department. I think at least. So, correct me if Im wrong cause Im a noob.

Q9450 = 8 multiplier X 333 mhz

to get to 3.2ghz I increase the FSB to 400 mhz.

Memory... 800mhz = Memory multiplier 2.0 X 400mhz

Check the temperatures using real temp. And voila a OC q9450
July 21, 2008 3:57:59 AM

Hehehe, you wish!

I am sure you will have to make all sorts of mobo adjustments.

Then you need to see if yer mobo has some type of load line calibration to offset the vdrop and droop.

Then the basic setup junk like disable spread spectrum stuff, disable some CPU options, make sure some weird stuff doesn't mess with your memory.

Then almost Volia, because it still may not be that easy!

When do you get your gear? Gotta check some things out when you actually get it. Like CPU VID, starting temps, vdrop and droop, etc.

--Lupi
July 21, 2008 4:05:41 AM

wowwwwww
now i am confused. I really thought that that would do it. Thats what other people have been telling me. :(  /cry
July 21, 2008 4:32:41 AM

LOL, well, its not hard or anything!

Hehehe!

But there is more than just that!

--Lupi
July 21, 2008 4:41:41 AM

also one last thing. would i need to get a new heatsink? haha oc sounds like maybe its more trouble than its worth than
July 21, 2008 1:24:02 PM

bump
July 21, 2008 7:35:34 PM

Hehe, that is usually recommended! The stock cooler can work, but it would have to be tested while over clocked, just to see and make sure.

But a new cooler goes a long way. Even the Xigmatec 1283, as long as you place it right, for 36 bucks with 10 back, can't beat it!

When do you get it?

--Lupi
July 24, 2008 5:26:07 AM

I don't agree with Lupi on this matter of disabling the load line calibration. Besides, I'm not sure if GA motherboards have that option. I know my EP35-DS3R doesn't... It's really unnecessary for such a low-level overclock and can lead to misunderstandings in what is really going on with the voltages being applied to the processor.

Under normal Intel spec operation, the voltage you set in BIOS is the very maximum the processor ever sees. This is the maximum spike in voltage the processor will receive when going from full load to idle - which causes a sudden decrease in power draw a subsequent sudden increase in voltage before the voltage regulators can react and decrease the voltage supplied to the processor. If you enable the load line calibration, it sets the voltage to the cpu to be the same at idle as under load, which means that when the processor transitions from high load to idle, there will be a power spike which surpasses the voltage specified in the BIOS. This isn't really dangerous for any voltages you'll be using to achieve a 3.2GHz overclock, but there's no sense in overriding Intel specs to do such a mild overclock.

I'm sure this was way too much information - I just try to stick that point to Lupi at every opportunity :) 
July 24, 2008 3:20:06 PM

alright so you dont even think id have to adjust the voltages at all?
July 24, 2008 3:23:29 PM

alright so you dont even think id have to adjust the voltages at all?
July 24, 2008 7:26:47 PM

No - you will have to adjust the voltages, but it won't be a big deal.
July 25, 2008 12:15:51 AM

oh okay. and would this alter the lifetime of my cpu? i want it running for a good 2 years at least
July 25, 2008 9:34:08 PM

There is a "safe" range of operating voltages recommended by Intel. It's 1.3625V for the Q9450. Here's the link to the specs on the processor.

The issue I took with load line calibration is really not going to be relevant to you for your overclock to 3.2GHz. I have my Q9450 at 3.2GHz with 1.26V or so, well below the maximum rated voltage. Sure, this will degrade the lifetime of the CPU, but chances are that degradation to failure is still well beyond the 4 years or so I'll probably have the thing running.

So two years at 3.2GHz? Easy. I don't mean to give you the idea that it's the speed that degrades the processor, though: the real killers are voltage and heat. So get an after-market cooler to keep your CPU cool, and only over-volt it enough to get the speeds you want stable, and no more, and you should be fine. You shouldn't need to even get up to 1.3V on your Q9450 to hit 3.2 GHz.
!