You have an error in the pricing of the case. The link is showing $69.99 and:

RAIDMAX Scorpio Case/Keyboard/Mouse ATX-868WSP/COMBO Silver SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 420W Power Supply - Retail
Special Newegg Anniversary savings, ends 1/31

Or maybe you meant something different.

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
5000+ BE takes less energy and costs less. 95 with free shipping now. and will be faster than the 5200 by just changing the multiplier... not really ocing... just using the proc.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006

Agree, No brainer if it costs less.
The only MINOR caveat is that you will need to buy a HeatSink/Fan since the 5000+ BE does not come with one.
That being said, I would go for the BE 5000+

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The reduced L2 Cache DOES hurt some.
However, the Black Edition easily clocks much higher w/o generating lots of heat and as a result is a better choice and better results.

It will be SLIGHTLY slower Clock for Clock, but you can clock it much higher.

Even if you are not into Overclocking, the cooler chip means less cooling which results in quieter operation.

Buy a pair of RAM sticks, not just one, so you can operate in dual-channel mode. It will be a little faster.
Also note that that CoolerMaster case does not come with any fans, and doesn't take 120mm fans, so the ones you'll need to get will be louder.
I'd suggest one of the CoolerMaster Elite cases. They'll fit up to a full ATX sized mobo if your nephew ever wants a replacement, they are tool-free, and have at least one 120mm fan already in them.
I'd also suggest a Retail optical drive, as the OEM version won't include any software (including the decoder needed to watch movies). They only add about $5 to the price.

ahslan

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Having 2 ram sticks will help with dual channel. I also agree with going for the 5000+ BE. You don't have to have any overclocking experience to get those things running at 6000+ speeds, not to mention it will produce less heat so you don't have to spend a fortune on a heatsink.
When it comes to the case...you don't have to listen to anyone...choosing the case is ALL about personal preference. If you think it looks cool, then get it...but make sure to read reviews about it before purchasing, just so that you aware of the common complaints the case has (e.g. too loud, very flimsy...).

fatcat

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2005

I agree here, I bought an Elite 330 and it's an ok case for the price and comes with a 120 mm in the back and another one can be add in front. The look is sober and classic.

rockyjohn

Distinguished
The Antec 900 is a great case and the $80 price is good for it. It has excellent cooling and is not noisy - but also not as silent as some other Antec cases like the Sonata III (which comes with an excellent Earthwatts 500W PSU) and the Antec 180 or 182 which should be quieter. Note that the Sonata is the only one of the group which has eSATA connector on the front - which I consider an important feature.

winkgood

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2007
I think I paid more like $130 for my Antec 900 about a year ago but I still think it was worth every penny. Its my favorite case I've ever owned for my main PC. My Antec Fusion is also up there as a media center case. However, considering you don't plan on overclocking, you probably don't require the amount of airflow that the 900 has. The Sonata III with the included power supply or the 180 or 182 like the last guy mentioned would be fine for you and they likely aren't near as heavy as the 900. That's the only drawback to the 900 imo, is its weight.

Whoa almost lost this thread :p Thanks guys and good spot with the casing tlmck - showed nephew the link and he thinks its cool so :p Hmm he's just using it for school work, surf, movies/videos and lite gaming so i reckon 250GB would be enough.