My computer not showing drive

pantheman

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Hello everyone,

I have Seagate Sata HD 1TB connected up thru an esata connection. In disk management it shows up just fine as Drive letter is M, Dynamic,online healthy. I can access it by right clicking on the volume (M) and clicking open. I am able to transfer data just find.

The issue I can't seem to solve is the HD isn't showing up under “my computer” I'm unable to access it from with in“my computer”, So each time I have to go to disk management and open it from there.
I've tried rebooting and I went into my bios under advanced>on board devices configure> and made sure AHCI was selected.

Any idea why “my computer” is not showing the drive?

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Sometimes, if the drive just shows up as RAW, you have to go into disk management and add a drive letter and path. Can occur if you disconnect the drive for a time.

pantheman

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
Thank you for reply. The drive has already been formatted as Dynamic and given a letter M and pathway. Disk management see it and say it's healthy I'm able to use it. The question is why doesn't it or what could be stopping it from "not showing up under " My computer" since all other things are good to go?

pantheman

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2007
I should add that I'm working with window XP SP3 on a Asus P5B deluxe MB
The drive is external in a thermaltake BlacX, hooked up thru esata. I have use two other 500gb drive in the BlacX no problems, both showed up under My computer. The 1TB drive is working just fine.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Hm.. I don't use eSATA too often.. But just to be sure, is the drive Online and is the partition labeled as Active?

Also, what file system is the drive formatted for? NTFS?