mistermike

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Hello everyone, I just built a new computer and got it up and running. Everything is working except I have no sound devices, EXCEPT my usb headset which I can get sound out of. Now I should have the onboard sound device, as well as Ati HD Audio from my Sapphire ATI 5830, but I have neither of those. Under device manager and the sound, video and game controllers it lists,
Audio Codecs
Legacy Audio Drivers
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
USB Audio Device
Video Codecs

I installed all the latest drivers for my motherboard and video card so Im not sure why it doesn't have any audio devices (other then the usb headset) when it should. And for some reason under Other Devices there are 2 yellow ?! PCI Device listed, the only pci device im using is the video card and I installed it properly and am using it. Here is what im using

Assus m4azztd motherboard
AMD Phenom II x4 3.2Ghz
Windows XP Service Pack 2

P.S. I had the ati hd audio working with xp SP2 on my only computer if that helps

Thanks for any help you can give! :)

Mike

Do you have the ATI SMBus driver installed? Check in device manager under system devices.
Sometimes it must be installed separately as the ATI driver installer will not install it automatically.
It is installed by right-clicking the appropriate device having the yellow exclamation mark, and select re-install driver.
Specify the location (which is in the system drive, in the ATI folder, in the driver package installed, under SMBus folder).
Click this folder and proceed to install SMBus driver and then check preferred sound device afterward.

Also in Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices, under the Audio tab, it may have your video card set to be the active sound device.
Change to your sound card.