Strange performance problems in Crysis?

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi there guys!

Yesterday i took delivery of my new Dell Vostro 1700 and overall i'm very pleased with it. The performance in games using Source engine, Oblivion and a few others all run very well, i'm quite impresssed with it. I've even overclocked the GPU to give a little extra performance. The system specs are:

17" Widescreen @ Native res of 1440x900
3gb RAM
2 x 5400rpm 160gb hard drives
8600m GT 256 @ 580mhz Core 490mhz memory

The OS is Vista Business, which i'm assuming is the same as Premium with some added networking features? Anyway down to the nitty gritty of the problem. As it had played all my other games on it i wanted to try playing a bit of Crysis. However, this is where the problems arise and the system seems to just choke. I ran it at a resolution of 1280x800 at the auto-detected medium details and i was getting 2 fps, which considering the performance i get in other games is a bit weird. I then dropped the resolution to 800x600 and the details to the lowest possible and the performance only improved to about 4 fps. I updated Crysis to the 1.1 patch and that had no effect. i know that i can't run the game at high details, as i'm very aware of the 8600m GTs performance but i should be able to get at least a 30fps average in 1280x800 at medium details, rather than the 2 fps i'm currently getting (And when i say 2 fps, i mean fraps is telling me the game is running at 2 fps and ti looks like a slideshow!).

I have no idea what the problem could be, although i will be updating the graphics driver later. the only other thing i can think of is formatting the notebook and getting rid of the dell bloatware, but then i don't think they gave me a copy of windows vista business on CD which means i'd have to go back to XP which i don't really want to do.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? I scoured the internet and these forums but to no avail, i'm getting pretty desperate! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Quantum Sheep.

rosu9801

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
Well im sorry to say that your 8600 is what i would call a average gpu and crysis is the gpu killer of today.
That title is so much more demanding then anything else out there so just be happy your rig handle other games well and just wait 6months to play crysis. =)
Just 256Mb of memory and vista also lowers your result somewhat, even though crysis is supposed to work better in dx10 (true or false?).
I would today just recommend 512+ cards from the 3xxx and 8xxx series for gaming.

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

what are you smoking mate? he dropped to 800x600 medium and got 4 fps! check out you tube, videos of people playing the dx10 hack all on high on an overclocked 8600gt at about 20fps. Hes got a genuine problem with his machine. No idea want it might be though.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Yeah, other games are fine. DoDS runs at 60 fps constantly with max detail, 4 x AA and 2 x AF. I think it might be a problem with my drivers or something, i'm going to try running xp on one drive and installing Crysis there.

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005

If you read my original post you would've realized that i am aware of the limitations of the card - that's why i have my desktop with an 8800GT in. I got the laptop as i needed something portable to take places with me, and the 8600m GT in the Vostro seemed to be the only card/laptop combo with a decent price:performance ratio.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Try getting better drivers. You DEFINITELY SHOULD be getting good performance in crysis with those settings. How do I know this???? I have the Dell M1330 XPS with the 8400GS (OC'ed) and it can push crysis at native resolution (1280x800) I believe all set to low of course at about 25 - 30FPS. It doesn't look great like my GTX SLi setup but it works quite well.

So if my lowly 8400GS can do that your 8600 should run beautifully even at native res. I am running XP Pro after blowing away Vista and downloading hacked upgraded nvidia drivers from a web site called http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers. I remember trying to play Bioshock with the default nvidia drivers and that sucked big time. It wasn't until I got the newer hacked drivers that things picked up. XP also helps of course.