Jan 20, 2008
I think my Motherboard is dying out :(
What motherboard do you recommend using :

Powercolor X1950 PRO AC2
Pentium D 3.2ghz
pc5300 ddr2 memory 1gb x2 (667mhz)
Maxtor 250gb .

issues:

- Everything seems slow (i've meddled with the CPU to see if that was it, it wasn't.. even paste etc)
- graphics is low framed for some reason (done everything recommended for that also)

I have good cooling
all drivers
i have a Arctic 600w so its not power :/

I guess motherboard?

recommend me some, its probably the only thing left to try. Please?

Thanks

troy5061

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
P5B-Deluxe is a great board. Great overclocker, runs cool, you can pick them up cheap, you can run crossfire with your ati card if you so choose, has wireless built in, I love mine im only upgrading to go sli with another 8800gt.

mattg14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

No software issues at all. Its a clean swipe of XP Pro with sp2, Drivers and oblivion. I previously had a 8400gs that preformed at least 40% faster lol

its a problem indeed :p

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

In that case, although the P5B-Deluxe is a great board (i own one also) its an old board and you would be better off getting a less feature rich newer chipset to support CPU's that are currently out now (i believe the P5B doesnt support 45nm at all yet?) Best cheap motherboard for your needs at the moment would be Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L... this is of course assuming that it is the motherboard.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008

You mean you solved the problem already?

And for X1950 PRO, I don't think it's slower than 8400GS.

Anyway if it's solved then it's fine :)

andrei3333

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
reformat the drive and clean install XP, update all firmware. bios, drivers, then burn the whole set up and start fresh with a e8400 and blah blah

andrei3333

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
i have the ds3l mobo so im not against gigabyte, but i see a a lot of posts here about problems and defects with gigabyte's mobos as wel las asus mobos....my first ds3l also died 3 days after a successful install and everything (maybe i did something in bios too but still...) bios died and kept rebooting

mattg14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

It's still not solved :(
I'm using a Asus p5VD2-MX SE board. Obviously when i get a new board, i'll have to get a refresh of an OS.

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Don't get too hurry ..

I'm still not convinced that this is a mobo issue ..

Here are my checklist:

1. Is this a clean install with this system? Or are you installing any new HW/SW before it's happened? You mentioned before you had 8400GS, are you just replacing this with X1950 PRO?
2. Are you 100% sure it's not virus/malware?
3. Is there a possibilities of antivirus conflicting? If you use more than one antivirus and/or antispyware then it's a high probability that ur system will get slow ..
4. What about HDD? If there are any partition problem plus bad sector ...
5. If all above checked, then go ahead with replacing mobo .. But you should clean install OS when you do ..
For mobo I will go for the gigabyte out of your three options ..

Good luck anyway ... :) Let us know the result ..

nightbell

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
Hello,

I want to build a new system also,around the intel q6600 quad processor.
I will go with 2 gb of ram, and gf 8800 gt, asus i quess, an 500 gb hdd by samsung 16mb sata and an
asus optical driver dvr-rw asus.
I dont need a mainboard with sli or crossfire support so i want to go with a single pci express board. i was thinking
about an Asus P5K-WS. Does anyone has an opinion regarding this board?
Thanks.
P.S. This is my first post :)

mattg14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

Its 100% a clean install with all parts currently in it. I replaced the 8400gs with the PRO. Also, i have replaced my old ATX-450 with a Arctic 600w PSU because the card uses a hell load of power.

My system is 100% clean of malware, spyware, viruses etc. I use AVG and windows firewall for protection. For the HDD, its as normal as it was before i replaced the graphics card & PSU :/ I also did the "Error-checking" tool Microsoft built in, that came up with no errors.

I just hope its the board :sweat: If not, i'm gunna have to spend spend spend on computer repair to see if i've lost the plot somewhere :na:

antas

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2008
Yeah, in this case, there's also a probability with the mobo I'd agree. From my experience, more than 60% of the computer slow problem are coming from the softwares (virus, malware, wrong driver etc), and then the other 30% are from HDD. Another 10% goes for misc problem ...

Usually if the mobo dying out, they started to become unstable at the beginning ..

One more hint: see CPU & memory load in case anything wrong ..

I'm using AVG myself, and never had any issue on it. So yeah, it might be the mobo ..

GL :)

mattg14

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2008

IT WORKS!!

I changed the motherboard to an ASrock mobo and its working!!!
got oblivion on high with x2 anti analysing on 30 frames outside!

Thanks for your help :wahoo:

tonyp12

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
Did you check all the settings in bios?

Just select the load default button.
Try it, next also try load optimal

I just fixed an old Dell Inspirion 3000 that had CPU setting
set to Compatible instead of Normal
and was making the computer run 4 times slower.

This Bios did not have a load default, and toke me hours before a found that setting.