Sign in with
Your question

LG 22" Flatron - Glowy Edges!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 23, 2008 7:49:42 AM

I've just built my new system and I'm using a 22" Flatron LG monitor. First, the driver installation had to be done manually which is weird, I was expecting a software or auto-run CD to install all the drivers necessary. Secondly, I couldn't have better than 60mhz refresh rate at 1400x???? resolution which is a big disappointment. Finally I've noticed white glow on the sides of the monitor which irritates me.

I am wondering if I have to tune the monitor further to get the best visuals?

I am not impressed by the contrast either. The black is not black, I was expected a black-er black!

My system specs are in my signature.

More about : flatron glowy edges

January 23, 2008 8:38:31 AM

White glow> the backlighting. Pretty much all 22" widescreen monitors have it to some extent. My 22" has it, but it isn't bad at all (Chimie brand). Not sure if your monitor can be drastically improved but I am sure there is some tweaks out there that can help. The rest of your PC looks good.

January 23, 2008 9:05:27 AM

Does this mean the monitor is working properly and there's no manufacturer's error? in other words I don't have to go back to the dealer to get a new one?

Related resources
January 23, 2008 9:28:59 AM

You'd have to clarify that with their tech support, as for refresh rate - I haven't seen an LCD that is capable of supporting more than 75hz, and honestly, I don't think it matters, the picture doesn't actually flash 60 or 70 times a second like it does in case with CRTs
January 23, 2008 10:36:29 AM

Don't want to blow my own trumpet (if only i could ;)  ),but my 24" Sam'y 245B doesn't have this glowing affect your talking of and it's running beautifully at 60Hz. Maybe it's just the monitor, try looking for reviews for your exact model.
January 23, 2008 11:06:49 AM

hey closed_deal, you are comparing monitors from diferent classes. Yours is a true HD 1920x1200 monitor which costs about double the price form those 20-22 inch 1680xsomething monitors. I've been courting with the Sammy 245B for a couple of months now and I must ask you what your experience is with it. Is it worth the premium? How's the HD working out? Also, I read that the viewing angle position is not great, causing polarisation when viewed from a distance. Is that true?
January 23, 2008 11:24:54 AM

review at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2704,2133304,00.asp

Are you running at native res, 1,680-by-1,050? Sounds like you do NOT have the correct INF file if you cannot pick 1680x1050! Do you have latest video driver installed? Try and find a display test image or program and check brightness/contrast.
Have you used the LG forteManager software? Which cable/port are you using? DVI or analogue?

Mike.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2008 12:08:01 PM

yabyab said:
I've just built my new system and I'm using a 22" Flatron LG monitor. First, the driver installation had to be done manually which is weird, I was expecting a software or auto-run CD to install all the drivers necessary. Secondly, I couldn't have better than 60mhz refresh rate at 1400x???? resolution which is a big disappointment. Finally I've noticed white glow on the sides of the monitor which irritates me.

I am wondering if I have to tune the monitor further to get the best visuals?

I am not impressed by the contrast either. The black is not black, I was expected a black-er black!

My system specs are in my signature.

What model did you buy, and what is the advertised native resolution? You should always run an LCD in it's native resolution for the best picture quality. This can make a big difference, really, on some LCD's.

Not sure about the "white glow", my Viewsonic does not do this.

The refresh rate for an LCD monitor is irrevelant. LCD's don't work the way CRT's do. LCD's don't continually redraw or "refresh" the screen like a CRT does. Notice when you used to watch the news on television, anytime you saw a computer in the background with monitor, you could see the screen flashing or refreshing. Now, notice however that all the rave is LCD screens EVERYWHERE on TV. Notice they do not flash or refresh like the old CRT monitors would? That is because the image on a LCD screen only changes when the image actually changes.

One of the "cons" for LCD display's , they do not have very high black levels.

The reason I picked my Viewsonic monitor is because compared to all the rest of the monitors on display, it to me had the blackest of blacks, or the best contrast level without spending over $300.
a b U Graphics card
January 23, 2008 12:15:33 PM

I agree it's backlight bleeding common on TN panels. Some models are worse than others most most if not all TN's have it to some degree.
January 23, 2008 12:26:20 PM

My 22 inch viewsonic has no such glow around the edges and no issues with the "black" or refresh rates.

If there is too much bleed of backlight through the edges it should be returned for a refund or exchange in my opinion.
January 23, 2008 12:46:42 PM

I have a 22" LG Flatron and I had some white glow when I first got my monitor. It has since gone away with use. I never had "noticable" white glow, but if you looked for it, you could see it. Mine dimmed down after using it for about a week.

If it is really that bad, I would go exchange for another.
January 24, 2008 2:01:31 PM

The White Glow is around the edges of the monitor, it is more noticeable on the upper side. Because I always turn the lights off while am on my computer and my desktop background is black it is VERY noticeable. Annoying, I feel like something is wrong.

I've ran Forte Manager and every time I run it I get greyed-out buttons. It does nothing for me, nothing is clickable. I did check for updates and downloaded the latest version, same thing. Can't click on any of the buttons.

January 24, 2008 2:07:22 PM

I'm running at 1440x900 resolution (I can pick 1600 but its just too big for me) I have installed the driver from the CD that comes with the monitor.

There are two cables that comes out of the monitor and I used the new and complicated one(not the old display cable that we used to use in the last generation). So, I think am using the DVI cables.

When I run games the glow disappears. It appears mostly in windows desktop or when rebooting.
January 24, 2008 3:09:48 PM

Did you install the INF file from the CD? 1440x900 is NOT native resolution and will not give clear display. :non: 

If you install the INF you will be able to select 1,680-by-1,050. What video driver and version are you running? Should not be version that came with your video card! that will be old!
Check instructions at http://www.lge.com/support/software.jsp

Mike.
January 24, 2008 4:24:15 PM

In your case yabyab, based on the additional information you have provided.... Yes I think there is probably something wrong then. I doubt it's a bad brand, as I've heard a lot of praise for LG from other forums. Musta been a bad pick of the litter, so if I were you, I'd probably try for an exchage, or better yet a refund.

January 24, 2008 5:10:38 PM

Quote:
Don't want to blow my own trumpet (if only i could ;)  ),but my 24" Sam'y 245B doesn't have this glowing affect your talking of and it's running beautifully at 60Hz. Maybe it's just the monitor, try looking for reviews for your exact model.
I've the the 245B also, no light bleeding, awesome color, and plenty of profling and adjustment options. I love it. :D 
a c 363 U Graphics card
a c 195 C Monitor
January 24, 2008 5:25:09 PM

Backlight bleeding affects all LCD monitors regardless of the panel technology. Some monitors of the same make and model may display more backlight bleeding more than others.

A couple of pictures of your monitor would be helpful to determine if the backlight bleeding is excessive. They should be camera shots of a completely black screen (not just a black wallpaper), meaning no icons whatsoever, taken in both normal lighting and in a dark room.
January 25, 2008 11:03:01 AM

I can select a 1680x1050 resolution(thats the max I can get in windows) but I'm working on the lesser one 1440x900 is this bad? should I select the maximum resolution?

January 25, 2008 11:44:44 AM

The native resolution (1680x1050) will look much better on your monitor. 1440x900 is going to lower the quality of each frame / picture. While you would still be keeping the same ratio, it is going to be stretched a bit.

That being said, your card should be able to handle 1680x1050 just as easily as it would 1440x900, I'd say stick to your native resolution unless the game / application forces you to do otherwise. (This can usually be over ridden with a registry tweak anyway) Anyways, enjoy.
a c 86 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
January 25, 2008 11:46:21 AM

Yes you should, it is the native res of the display meaning that the display has that exact amount of pixels. If you use smaller resolution the picture is scaled to completely fill the display area and that decreases the picture quality...
Anonymous
January 25, 2008 12:44:11 PM

Put plain and simple, If you are not happy with the backlight that is coming through and it seems to be too much, if you have waited and used the monitor for say roughly a week and no change I would exchange it for the same monitor. I have that monitor at work for one of the graphics guys, it doesn't have the problem you seem to be having.
January 25, 2008 1:02:42 PM

We have several of these mons and all have a considerable amount of light bleed. Not top monitor, IMHO
a b U Graphics card
January 25, 2008 1:29:09 PM

I agree, try 16x10 and look how much crisper the text is. Using a 14x9 desktop will blur things up a bit.
January 25, 2008 9:07:29 PM

By chaning your brightness/contrast/gamma settings on your monitor you will notice a difference in light bleed. Light bleed is very common on LCD monitors and TN panels are for performance rather then stunning visuals. Take note also that TN panels are like half the price of S-IPS panels. You will really only notice light bleed in dark scenes and with the brightness full blast. Try tweaking it a little bit.
January 27, 2008 4:17:06 AM

Alright, I guess my problem was because 1. My desktop wallapaper is Black and 2. I turn off all the lights in my room. If I choose a brighter color wallpaper I can't notice the light bleeding. Also, in most games I don't see it.

But there's something fishy. When I use Forte Manager, I can't click on any of its buttons. I installed from the CD then I checked for update and installed the latest version. For both versions, the buttons were unclickable. What's the problem?

!