dodgeguy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
I am trying to burn some home movies to DVD and my drive does not recognize the DVD-R media. I have 2 different brands of disc. I have burnt DVD's before with the same brand. I have changed my MOBO and processor since the last time I used the drive. I know it should work. But the drive does not see the disc. I can play movies and read software with the drive. But I can not burn a disc.

Any ideas?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
Few questions i needed to be answered before i can help....

What make and model is your DVD drive

What make and model was your old motherboard

what make and model is your new motherboard..

have you replaced the ide cable from the new motherboard box or is it the old one

and have you reloaded windows since putting in the new motherboard and did you do a reload or a repair install with windows....

dodgeguy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
My DVD drive is an HP 740b

My old motherboard is an Asus A8AE-LE
HP/Compaq motherboard name: AmberineM-GL6E

My new mobo is an EVGA 650i Ultra

I used a restore from before the rplacement of the MOBO and CPU.

The IDE cable is a new one that came with the MOBO.

I tried to update the firmware. That did not work. It seems that the drive will not recognize DVD-R that is unrecorded or recorded. It plays DVD movies and it does recognize unwritten CD-R and CD's.

Could this be something in the BIOS setting?

I am using Sonic to burn the DVD-R with the latest software

Let me make sure I understand this, you swapped mobos without re-installing windows, right?

If the answer is yes, then you need to re-install windows. Otherwise you are running the old chipset drivers on the new mobo. That never works too well.

dodgeguy

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2008
I do not think I re installed windows. I had to call Microsoft to validate my software. Once I did that I had to adjust my display settings. It was very quick. A few drivers for the new mobo and some other drivers.

I think one of them was the DVD drive. What if I uninstal the driver and re instal the driver. Or is it a problem elsewhere?

altazi

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
If you re-installed Windows, I'd think you would know it. Chunkymonster is exactly right - you can't just take your HDD with Windows installed and hook it up to a new motherboard and expect it to work. This would be a good time for a fresh OS install, followed by loading correct drivers for the new mobo.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
I am supprised you didnt get the Hardware Application Layer - ( HAL ) Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) when installing a new motherboard with a different chipset...

You have gone from a ATI one to a Nvidia one with out reinstalling.... erm ok

Buy hey ho i guess you havent got a Windows XP Home OEM cd which you could used with your HP Windows Code.....

I would suggest you buy another hard disk and borrow a windows disk from some one to reload windows and start affresh, and use the code on the box, u will need to ring windows activation and explain the situation and they will activate it....

If you cant do this removal all old drivers including sound, network and motherboard
re install new motherboard drivers, having the latest from the www.nvidia.com will help

then install the sound card drivers, its a realtek hd - get these from the evga.com website

goodluck