Slow Download Speeds

masteroftofu

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
I share a home network with my parents but recently we have noticed that when I am downloading something that both of their internet's slow down. Mom is on a desktop and dad is on a laptop. We are using a DSL connection and normally download at the speed of about 450-600kb/s. We installed a new router recently but did not notice anything then. My mom then started to complain that her internet was running slow. During that time I was downloading, and when I stopped the download her internet sped up. Same goes with my dad who also complained about a slow connection on the wireless which stopped when I halted my download. To try and fix the problem I also tried to install a switch but that did not seem to work either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

EDIT: P.S. It is a Actiontec GT724WGR.

masteroftofu

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
All right thanks for the reply...I was getting similar responses from people on other forums. This really sucks until February when we get Fiber Optics, in the meantime I am stuck with DSL. :(

Zweistein000

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I have a similar problem...

Me and my dad have a LAN (the router is Levelone FBR-1418TX 1W, 4L Broadband, if this means anything to you) and we have 2GB/min (if i understood my father correctly) Internet and 100 Mbps lan speed conectoin and my avarege intrenret speed is 5-15 Mbps and his is around 150-250 Mbps conection. I tried anything i know with the router and my computer and nothing seems to work :(

Can any 1 help me pls.

hmmm...I have a 100mbps connection as well, though I never seem to get past 12000k on speedtest...so it looks normal to me, although a low of 5000k mbps is a bit on the low side...

Is your connection speed jumping around, or is it more or less constant at any particualr point in time? It could be a bad connection somewhere down the line (my underground cables cause my connection to go bonkers when it rains, for instance...).