sound card, Realtek ALC888

Ray C

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
Hi
Wondering if anyone would know how I would go about solving the following problem.

I recently had a computer put together using an ASUS P5N32-E PlUS SLI MB (no on board sound). This board comes with a Realtek ALC888 sound card. This card (apparently) has no jack port for a headset. There is a Mic and Headset plug on the front panel of the case….. Here’s the problem,,, the card has pins on the backside (inside the case) and I believe these pins will take care of the front panel connections. I can’t find any info on the pin to connector plug in arrangements. They are those (for the lack of a better description) little tiny black connectors.
Sorry if I’m using non tech lingo,,, a bit green at this stuff.

TIA for any help,,,, Ray C

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The mobo manual should give you the internal audio connections instructions, at least all of the ASUS manuals I've seen do. Check the online manual, usually easier to read. At least on one of my ASUS mobo there was a plastic jumper I had to remove to connect the front panel audio

Ray C

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2008
g-paw
Thanks for the reply,,,, as usual (for me) the problem turned out to be user error! 
There was a switch on the SoundMax Control Panel to swap center/subwoofer controls,,, this changed that jack to accommodate headset.
Thanks again, Ray

I also started a support ticket with ASUS,,,, I’d like to activate the front panel with those rear connectors on the card. I see nothing in either manual,,,, “take card from package” step two “plug it in”…

could be posible!
Thanks again

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
On the top of the sound card it looks like you have colored boxes with connectors. This is where it will plug in. Not sure which ones. I'd guess the black one and if not the green would be for the headset but you can try different ones until you get them to work. Plugging it into the wrong one won't hurt anything, just won't work.