GDDR2 vs GDDR3

akima

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Hi guys, Quick question.

I'm building a decent System for the sole pupouse of a LAN im going to next month, so obviously i dont want to spend too much.

Now, i've got the choice of graphics cards and as always, im stuck between systems.

I've decided to pick up a 8600GT, but looking around on ebuyer, theres several choices on what to go for!

First one: POV 8600GT - 512 DDR2 - 128bit http://www.ebuyer.com/product/133276
Second one: Inno3D 8600GT - 256 GDDR3 - 128bit http://www.ebuyer.com/product/126974

Now, obviously theres a difference between them, one has 512DDR2 and 256DDR3.

What one will out perform the other? And whats more important in GFX memory? Size or Speed?

Thanks in advance..

Rich - UK

leo2kp

Distinguished
It depends on what you'll be playing. If you plan on playing something with higher-rez or that takes a lot of memory, you might want to take a slight initial performance hit with GDDR2 512mb. You will experience the same FPS with the 512mb three hours after starting the game, whereas the performance increase of the GDDR3 256mb will only last until the memory is filled up, then your FPS will drop a lot because of textures being paged to system RAM, which is considerably slower.

I had that issue with my slightly faster 7900GT KO SC 256mb card. Oblivion was great for a few minutes but then slowed way down after a bit because Oblivion uses over 300mb video RAM. I got a slightly slower 7900GT KO 512 card, lost 1 or 2fps, but it was more consistent.

Hope this helps!

akima

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2008
Well, the games are stuff like C:SS, CoD4, Unreal 2k7...

But i want to start playing some decent DX10 games, so i'm just trying to see what suits better.

Might be best to go for the 512 Version realy, as its hours of playing rather than a few hours at a time or so.

Im guessing its the old budget thing but you wont get far with a 8600 card, really would sugest getting a oc 8600GTS as a minimum if your serious about playing DX10 games. Do you have a budget in mind ?
Mactronix

TurdBurglar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2005

Perhaps the minimum performance goal should be equivalent to an 8600gts, but for the price of a GTS he could easily get a hd3850. In any event the 8600gt would be vastly inadequate for a LAN gaming rig in my eyes.

Thanks for putting me straight on that TurdBurglar, I was thinking just in terms of performance and not Price/Performance. :(
To the op
One very good demonstration of why you should always get a second opinion :D
Mactronix