Freeze upon boot

zmackdavis

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
Hello Everyone,

Not too long ago, I built my first desktop... Everything works great except for when I boot the computer when it's been off for awhile. Upon boot, it runs through my BIOS and when the windows screen appears, their emblem wavers slightly (like it's supposed to) for a few seconds. Then I can hear a little bit of clicking (like the computer is working) coming from the computer right before it freezes. Sometimes it will make it all the way to the screen where I type in my username & password, and then it freezes there. Sometimes I have to restart the computer 10-15 times before it finally boots up. It's almost like something inside needs to get warmed up before it wants to work properly. I have a SSD & my old spinning HD from my old computer, and I'm praying it's not a problem with that expensive SSD. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jantech

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
The clicking noise would indicate to me you are having an issue with the spinning drive. SSD's don't have any moving parts so they would not make any noise. I would find the manufacture of the spinning drive, download there diagnostic tools, run them and see if that is the issue. If it is you simply need to replace the drive.

zmackdavis

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2010
I have disconnected the spinning drive, and found the same problem. I also formatted both hard drives, and installed windows on each one so that I could boot from different hard drives to make sure it wasn't a problem with the hardware on either one of those. I had crashes when trying to boot from either one of them. The thing is that it doesn't crash at the same exact point every time. Often times it's when the balls of color come together to form the windows logo... Other times it will make it to the point when I log in. If I leave my computer on, leave my house for the day, when I come back it will always be frozen. If I play a game on the computer for 8 hours straight, it will never crash. It really seems to have something to do with the computer needing to get warmed up... Please, if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd greatly appreciate them. I can't seem to figure the darn thing out!

Thank you in advance!